2 Chainz looks to build on revived career with CD
ATLANTA (AP) -- Rapper 2 Chainz took some major risks two years ago when he bolted from Ludacris' Disturbing tha Peace record label, changed his stage name and left a group to pursue a solo career.
The Atlanta-based rapper, initially known as Tity Boi, scored big as a member of the rap duo Playaz Circle with the Lil Wayne-assisted 2007 hit "Duffle Bag Boy." But the group's debut album barely sold 100,000 units, and their follow-up, 2009's "Flight 360: The Takeoff," debuted at No. 74 and didn't launch any hits.
"I figured if I was going to do bad, I'd rather be bad all by myself," 2 Chainz said in a recent interview. "Even when I had a deal, I was paying out of pocket ... I was already funding videos, doing my mixtapes. You rarely get money out of labels, except for when they open up a budget for a project. Other than that, it's a do-or-die type thing. So, for me, I just had to do or die."
Taking the risk to go solo is finally paying off.
A pair of successful mixtapes helped 2 Chainz consistently book concert shows and land guest appearances on hit songs, including Kanye West's No. 1 rap smash "Mercy" and the Nicki Minaj single "Beez in the Trap." He also joined Minaj on her U.S. summer tour.
Now the rapper is hoping to capture audiences on his own with his solo debut, "Based on a T.R.U. Story," released this week. The first single, "No Lie," features Drake and is currently No. 1 on Billboard's R&B/Hip-Hop songs chart. The album features top acts like West, Minaj, Lil Wayne, John Legend, Scarface and The-Dream.
The Associated Press: You had a sliver of limelight in 2007, you fell into obscurity and now you're rising — a rare sequence for a rapper's career. What do you attribute to your revived image?
2 Chainz: I just worked harder than anyone else. There was no formula. I can't tell you a particular story or a contract I signed. My mind-set of just grinding it out, a lot of sleepless nights, thinking and praying a lot. The number of cities I was able to play in. The timing. Those combinations have helped get me to where I'm at today.
AP: You had a lot control as an independent rapper. Now, you're signed to Def Jam Records. Why make the move when you were achieving so much independently?
2 Chainz: When I left DTP, I wanted to do things on my own. I wanted people to respect my mind. I wanted people to respect some of my ideas. The independent route was the best move for me. But I think I've maximized everything I could do independently. I've done everything out the mixtape market. I think getting the big machine behind you is the next stage when you've maximized the independent level.
AP: How did you end up collaborating with A-List acts like Kanye West, Drake and Nicki Minaj?
2 Chainz: I had already been communicating with them. I've known Drake for five years. Me and Drake were on tour with Lil Wayne when Drake was fresh off the TV show ("Degrassi: The Next Generation"). A lot of people don't know that. I've known Lil Wayne for a decade. I've had respect with them and in the hip-hop community. I just had to figure out a way to connect the dots with them and the fans. With the community, I was cool. I was networking, hooked up with DJs. I was just being a people's person.
AP: What's it like working with Kanye West?
2 Chainz: He's a great friend to me personally and has helped me musically. He's helping me produce some of my best music.
AP: You've become known for your various guest appearances. What do you want to prove with your first solo project?
2 Chainz: When we did "Duffle Bag Boy" I knew it was big because of Lil Wayne. I took it for what it was. He's a superstar, a megastar. We worked hard and he worked his (expletive) off to be who he is, so he gets the credit for that. He opened a lot of doors for me. I just want to work as hard.
Follow Jonathan Landrum Jr. on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/mrlandrum31
- Brad Pitt's Changing Looks
- Hollywood's Hottest Dads
- Mark Wahlberg's Shirtless Looks
- Prince William & Duchess Kate's Cutest Couple Moments
- Stars with tattoos of other celebs
- Brooke Shields' Changing Looks
- Carrie Underwood's Evolving Looks
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Cast Yearbook Photos
- Worst Celeb Sunburns
- Celeb Twins
- Celebs Who Work Out on the Beach
- Country Music's Hottest Couples
- Worst spring wardrobes
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Romance Retro
- WATN: 'Boy Meets World'
- Tim McGraw's changing looks
- Craziest Kim Kardashian pregnancy rumors
- Celebs Who Look Like Their Pets
- Mariah & Nick's Matching Style
- Hollywood's Tomboys
- The Royal Couple's Favorite Sports
- Kim Kardashian's Curvy Maternity Style
- WATN: 'Jurassic Park'
- January Jones' Retro Looks
- The Rock's Soft Side
- WATN: 'Veronica Mars'
- WATN: 'Beetlejuice'
- Fergie's Changing Looks
- Star Twitter Quitters
- Hollywood's Hottest Ryans
- Insured Celebrity Body Parts
- Most Expensive Celeb Engagement Rings
- Sweetest Celeb PDA
- Kim Kardashian's Tightest Looks
- Olivia Wilde's Best Street Style
- Justin Timberlake's Many Looks
- Hottest Royal Beach Bodies
- Celebrity Pets with Famous Names
- Michelle Williams' Best Fashion Moments
- Lindsay Lohan's Changing Looks
- Justin Bieber's Changing Hair
- Most Awkward People on the Red Carpet
- WATN: '7th Heaven'
- Ke$ha's Worst Looks
- Worst Oscar Fashion
- George Clooney's Oscar Dates
- Most Embarrassing Celeb Splits
- Stars Before They Were Oscar Nominees
- Jennifer Lawrence's Best Fashion Moments
- Rihanna's Sexiest Grammy Style
- Drew Barrymore's Craziest Looks
- Jennifer Aniston's Changing Looks
- Worst Dressed Celeb Designers
- Anne Hathaway's Oscar Looks
- Grammy's Hottest Couples
- Taylor Swift's Best Grammy Fashion
- WATN: 'Wonder Years'
- Destiny's Child's Most Iconic Looks
- Best Off-Season Bikini Bods
- Emma Stone's Best Red-Carpet Looks
- Celeb Flashers
- Mariah Carey's Biggest Feuds
- Mariah Carey's Wacky Wardrobe
- Britney Spears' Wackiest Red Carpet Poses
- Celeb Makeup Mistakes
- Ryan Gosling's Leading Ladies
- Nicole Kidman's Golden Globe Fashion
- Katy Perry's Year as a Single Gal
- Celebs Who've Removed Romantic Tattoos
- Most Memorable Celeb Holiday Cards
- Five of the Worst Celeb Winter Wardrobes
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Romance Retro
- Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
- Christina Aguilera's Worst Looks
- 2012's One Hit Wonders
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Best and Worst Beach Bodies of 2012
- 2012 Fashion Don'ts
- Craziest Beauty Trends of 2012
- Celebs Who Survived Cheating Scandals
- The Turkeys of 2012
- Kristen Stewart's Best Red Carpet Moments
- WATN: 'Less Than Zero'
- Star Couples Who Went from Friends to Lovers
- The Most Famous Celebrity Pets
- The Hottest Celebrity Halloween Costumes
- WATN: 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'
- Jessica Biel's White Hot Red Carpet Style
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite