50 Cent on Headphone Line, Teaming with Timbaland at CES 2013
Billboard -- 50 Cent 's first foray into headphones didn't go well. In fact, it was something of a disaster. A 2010 investment in Sleek Audio failed to materialize any headphones, but it did spawn a lawsuit. It also convinced the hip-hop icon that if he wanted to pursue his own branded line of musical headgear, he'd have to do it himself.
"I've bumped my head in this space before," he says. "I invested in a company that was the wrong company. I came to CES for the first time in 2010 and presented the concept of what I wanted to do. It didn't work out with that company, so I acquired Kono Audio, which specialized in child safety products, so they understand how the ear registers sound."
Kono was digested into SMS and the company has been making high-end headphones for the past two years. This year, at CES, 50 Cent is once again on hand to unveil Street by 50, a new high-end line ranging in price from $180 to $300.
He also unveiled a new investment partner in SMS - mega-producer Timbaland has come on board as a principal and member of the company's board of directors. In addition, he'll have "substantial involvement" in the design and audio engineering process for forthcoming products. SMS is a return of sorts to the music industry for 50 Cent the businessman, who has primarily focused on other ventures. Previous successful investments include Vitamin Water and Street King energy drinks. He has also struck deals with Reebok and Right Guard for a variety of licensed products.
50 Cent Talks 'My Life' Single, Relationship with Interscope & Fat Joe Beef
That diversification helped him break public perceptions that formed after the release of his breakthrough album - 2003's "Get Rich or Die Tryin'".
"I became that to the general public," he says. "It makes it difficult to be … the guy who should be endorsing major corporations. … I've since destroyed that aura of me not being the guy who can endorse products."
He also expanded his artistic reach beyond music, appearing in films and video games - areas where he plans to remain active.
An active player of NBA games, he says he longs for the days of classic titles - and wants to see if there's a way to modernize them.
"I like fighting games - the old games are exciting to me, like 'Street Fighter' and 'Outrunner,'" he says. "I want to be able to take that and do a newer version of that and bring something to the table, because that's exciting and entertaining."
50 Cent Debuts 'My Life' Video After 'The Voice' Performance
On the big screen, he's appearing in two upcoming films: The thriller "Frozen Ground," with Nicholas Cage and John Cusak and "The Tomb" with Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger. He also recently completed filming for the Robert DeNiro/Morgan Freeman holiday release "Last Vegas".
"I like to keep myself in good company," he says.
Musically, his next album - the first in four years - drops Feb 26. The delay was caused by the regular audit process that came as he reached the end of his obligations to Interscope.
"I kinda got writer's block until I got paid," he says.
Once it was settled, though, that writer's block was cured fast. While the CD will only contain 13-14 songs, he says he ended up recording more than 70.
And, he says, there's a good chance of a reunion with Lloyd Banks and Tony Yayo, his partners in G-Unit.
"People grow in different directions," he says. "[They] have different agendas about things they want to do and they're sorting themselves out in that way and I'm focused on thngs that are important to me right now, but there's a strong possibility there will be a G-Unit [collaboration] with the three of us. But right now, I'm focused on my solo project."
A technology nut, 50 says he lives by his phone and constantly carries a Canon camera to document his travels.
He also carries a MacBook Air, but says it irks him from time to time, since he's unable to watch movies on the device (which lacks an optical drive).
_ _ _ _
Find more online: Billboard.com
- Brad Pitt's Changing Looks
- Hollywood's Hottest Dads
- Mark Wahlberg's Shirtless Looks
- Prince William & Duchess Kate's Cutest Couple Moments
- Stars with tattoos of other celebs
- Brooke Shields' Changing Looks
- Carrie Underwood's Evolving Looks
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Cast Yearbook Photos
- Worst Celeb Sunburns
- Celeb Twins
- Celebs Who Work Out on the Beach
- Country Music's Hottest Couples
- Worst spring wardrobes
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Romance Retro
- WATN: 'Boy Meets World'
- Tim McGraw's changing looks
- Craziest Kim Kardashian pregnancy rumors
- Celebs Who Look Like Their Pets
- Mariah & Nick's Matching Style
- Hollywood's Tomboys
- The Royal Couple's Favorite Sports
- Kim Kardashian's Curvy Maternity Style
- WATN: 'Jurassic Park'
- January Jones' Retro Looks
- The Rock's Soft Side
- WATN: 'Veronica Mars'
- WATN: 'Beetlejuice'
- Fergie's Changing Looks
- Star Twitter Quitters
- Hollywood's Hottest Ryans
- Insured Celebrity Body Parts
- Most Expensive Celeb Engagement Rings
- Sweetest Celeb PDA
- Kim Kardashian's Tightest Looks
- Olivia Wilde's Best Street Style
- Justin Timberlake's Many Looks
- Hottest Royal Beach Bodies
- Celebrity Pets with Famous Names
- Michelle Williams' Best Fashion Moments
- Lindsay Lohan's Changing Looks
- Justin Bieber's Changing Hair
- Most Awkward People on the Red Carpet
- WATN: '7th Heaven'
- Ke$ha's Worst Looks
- Worst Oscar Fashion
- George Clooney's Oscar Dates
- Most Embarrassing Celeb Splits
- Stars Before They Were Oscar Nominees
- Jennifer Lawrence's Best Fashion Moments
- Rihanna's Sexiest Grammy Style
- Drew Barrymore's Craziest Looks
- Jennifer Aniston's Changing Looks
- Worst Dressed Celeb Designers
- Anne Hathaway's Oscar Looks
- Grammy's Hottest Couples
- Taylor Swift's Best Grammy Fashion
- WATN: 'Wonder Years'
- Destiny's Child's Most Iconic Looks
- Best Off-Season Bikini Bods
- Emma Stone's Best Red-Carpet Looks
- Celeb Flashers
- Mariah Carey's Biggest Feuds
- Mariah Carey's Wacky Wardrobe
- Britney Spears' Wackiest Red Carpet Poses
- Celeb Makeup Mistakes
- Ryan Gosling's Leading Ladies
- Nicole Kidman's Golden Globe Fashion
- Katy Perry's Year as a Single Gal
- Celebs Who've Removed Romantic Tattoos
- Most Memorable Celeb Holiday Cards
- Five of the Worst Celeb Winter Wardrobes
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Romance Retro
- Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
- Christina Aguilera's Worst Looks
- 2012's One Hit Wonders
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Best and Worst Beach Bodies of 2012
- 2012 Fashion Don'ts
- Craziest Beauty Trends of 2012
- Celebs Who Survived Cheating Scandals
- The Turkeys of 2012
- Kristen Stewart's Best Red Carpet Moments
- WATN: 'Less Than Zero'
- Star Couples Who Went from Friends to Lovers
- The Most Famous Celebrity Pets
- The Hottest Celebrity Halloween Costumes
- WATN: 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'
- Jessica Biel's White Hot Red Carpet Style
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite