Arnold Schwarzenegger: I Want to "Get Back Together" With Maria Shriver
The ball is in your court, Maria Shriver.
The TV journalist's estranged husband, Arnold Schwarzenegger, continued to discuss their failed marriage while promoting his new memoir, Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story, on Fox News' Hannity October 1. (Shriver filed for divorce in July 2011, two months after the couple announced their separation. Married for five years, the two are parents to Katherine, 22, Christina, 21, Patrick, 19, and Christopher, 15.)
Calling his extramarital affair with housekeeper Mildred Baena that resulted in the birth of his fifth child "a huge screw-up," Schwarzenegger spoke candidly about how his actions "destroyed my family." (He and Baena are parents to Joseph, 15.)
"It was a situation where I couldn't even blame anybody else but myself, because my wife was a fantastic wife. She was a great friend, she was a great adviser, everything, great mother. I mean, my kids were fantastic. The thing that I cherished the most, you know, I destroyed by some stupid things that I've done," Schwarzenegger said. "For me, it's important to kind of rebuild again, get the trust back with the kids, with my wife."
Hoping for a reconciliation with Shriver, 56, the former Republican governor of California, 65, said he does see them getting back "together eventually. It takes a lot of time to heal those wounds and to trust each other again. But, you know, I will make every effort."
"Maria has been extraordinary throughout this whole process," the action star and former bodybuilder added. "Extraordinary also with bringing the children together and making sure that we celebrate together when there's a graduation or when there's a birthday or Valentine's Day or Easter, or Christmas -- stuff like that. She's been great. The kids have been really great. I'm thankful about that."
"I've hurt a lot of people," Schwarzenegger acknowledged. "I hurt my wife tremendously, who doesn't deserve that, and my kids and relatives, all this. I'm embarrassed, ashamed about it, but you can't go back."
Schwarzenegger said his estranged spouse has received a copy of his autobiography, but to his knowledge, she hasn't read it yet. "We talked about it, but I didn't go into details. I didn't want her to get into a situation where she knows about the book and she has to answer questions to the press," the Terminator actor explained. "This way, officially she hasn't read it yet, and now she has the book."
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Arnold Schwarzenegger: I Want to "Get Back Together" With Maria Shriver
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite