'Bachelor' host teases 'combustible situation'
NEW YORK (AP) — After 17 seasons on "The Bachelor" (plus eight seasons on "The Bachelorette" and three on "Bachelor Pad"), host Chris Harrison says one thing makes Sean Lowe stand out from the others — and it's not his washboard abs.
It's the way Lowe makes the women on the ABC dating show feel, Harrison says. On the show, which airs Mondays (8 p.m. EST), single women live in a house together and compete for the affection of a single man.
Lowe "has this incredible way of making you feel like you're the only person in the room," Harrison said in a recent interview. "That's a great quality, and the thing is, it's sincere.
"It's not an act with him, and what really makes the difference is his sincerity. His charm and his charisma makes these women feel like, 'This is it, like we could literally stop this date and go get married.' I don't think I've ever seen a season where so many relationships are so sincere and serious and that could only lead to one thing: a very combustible situation."
Lowe, who is from Dallas, tried to win Emily Maynard's heart last season on "The Bachelorette."
He ended up in third place, and although he didn't walk away with the girl, he did leave with a friendship with finalists Arie Luyendyk Jr. and Jef Holm. Luyendyk appeared on the first episode of "The Bachelor" to give Lowe support.
Harrison says that while male contestants tend to bond, women tend to bicker and conspire against one another.
"The way they are manipulative and they fight, and they try to win — that's them," he said. "And when you shine a light on it maybe it's not so pretty, but that happens in every bar and church and library in America when people are getting together and it's just exploited to the nth degree on 'The Bachelor.'"
But, he adds: "It's an extraordinary situation, too. I mean, I'm gonna come to their defense a little bit. They're all dating the same guy. But ... the guys seem to have this ... camaraderie, and we're pretty simple animals. ... I think women are much too, way too dynamic and smart for this game, where guys are like, 'Whatever, OK.' So I think it's geared easier for men than for women, who I think are just way too much of too many personalities piled into one house."
Harrison said he's learned that people end up showing their true colors on reality television.
"One thing about this show that I find incredibly compelling ... is you can't save people from themselves ultimately. Their personalities will shine through."
Alicia Rancilio covers entertainment for The Associated Press. Follow her online at http://www.twitter.com/aliciar
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite