Bradley Cooper Explains 4-Month Marriage to Jennifer Esposito
Although everyone's waiting for Bradley Cooper to pop the question to longtime love Renee Zellweger, some fans of the Limitless hunk forget that Cooper's already been a husband once . . .albeit briefly!
Now 36, Cooper was married to actress Jennifer Esposito for just four months. (After a late December 2006 wedding, the Blue Bloods actress, 38, filed for divorce in May 2007.)
Cooper opened up about the short-lived union during a Monday chat on Howard Stern's Sirius XM radio show.
"It was just something that happened," Cooper said, without detailing exactly when he knew things were off. "The good thing is, we both realized it...Sometimes you just realize it."
As Stern prodded him for info, the actor explained simply: "It just wasn't right. It's interesting...things happen!"
Cooper added that it's "not true" that the experience turned him off to matrimony for good.
"Making any declarative statement [like that] is a joke," he scoffed. (Indeed, Zellweger, 41, also had a quickie marriage: She and country crooner Kenny Chesney were also married for 4 months in 2005 before getting the union annuled.)
Stern also couldn't help but notice a wedding band on Cooper's right hand. The star explained that the ring belonged to his father, who passed away in January.
But, for now at least, he insisted to Stern that he has never proposed to Zellweger, whom he met six years ago on the set of their flick Case 39.
"Then I didn't see her for a long time," Cooper explained. "I got married..."
The resolutely private star avoided almost all of Stern's questions about his romance with Zellweger, which began in fall 2009. One thing he did reveal? She's a Howard fan!
"She loves you," Cooper told Stern. "She speaks very highly of you."
Stern explained that he and the Oscar-winning actress "shared a beauty parlor appointment" years ago at a movie studio as he shot his flick Private Parts.
"She [was] so friendly and personable," Stern gushed. "She sent me a beautiful bible when I got married."
What kind of guy was Cooper before stardom, Zellweger and ex-wife Esposito? "I didn't lose my virginity until I was 17," he admitted.
And he didn't exactly take Hollywood by storm when he first arrived at age 26 with a part in ABC's Alias with Jennifer Garner.
"I couldn't get into the SkyBar at the Mondrian Hotel in L.A. when I first moved there..No one was looking at [me and my friend]," said Cooper, who remembered "sitting back at this one-bedroom thing I'm renting, depressed as hell. My sister came to visit for a week, she wanted to kill herself. L.A. can be horrible!
- Brad Pitt's Changing Looks
- Hollywood's Hottest Dads
- Mark Wahlberg's Shirtless Looks
- Prince William & Duchess Kate's Cutest Couple Moments
- Stars with tattoos of other celebs
- Brooke Shields' Changing Looks
- Carrie Underwood's Evolving Looks
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Cast Yearbook Photos
- Worst Celeb Sunburns
- Celeb Twins
- Celebs Who Work Out on the Beach
- Country Music's Hottest Couples
- Worst spring wardrobes
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Romance Retro
- WATN: 'Boy Meets World'
- Tim McGraw's changing looks
- Craziest Kim Kardashian pregnancy rumors
- Celebs Who Look Like Their Pets
- Mariah & Nick's Matching Style
- Hollywood's Tomboys
- The Royal Couple's Favorite Sports
- Kim Kardashian's Curvy Maternity Style
- WATN: 'Jurassic Park'
- January Jones' Retro Looks
- The Rock's Soft Side
- WATN: 'Veronica Mars'
- WATN: 'Beetlejuice'
- Fergie's Changing Looks
- Star Twitter Quitters
- Hollywood's Hottest Ryans
- Insured Celebrity Body Parts
- Most Expensive Celeb Engagement Rings
- Sweetest Celeb PDA
- Kim Kardashian's Tightest Looks
- Olivia Wilde's Best Street Style
- Justin Timberlake's Many Looks
- Hottest Royal Beach Bodies
- Celebrity Pets with Famous Names
- Michelle Williams' Best Fashion Moments
- Lindsay Lohan's Changing Looks
- Justin Bieber's Changing Hair
- Most Awkward People on the Red Carpet
- WATN: '7th Heaven'
- Ke$ha's Worst Looks
- Worst Oscar Fashion
- George Clooney's Oscar Dates
- Most Embarrassing Celeb Splits
- Stars Before They Were Oscar Nominees
- Jennifer Lawrence's Best Fashion Moments
- Rihanna's Sexiest Grammy Style
- Drew Barrymore's Craziest Looks
- Jennifer Aniston's Changing Looks
- Worst Dressed Celeb Designers
- Anne Hathaway's Oscar Looks
- Grammy's Hottest Couples
- Taylor Swift's Best Grammy Fashion
- WATN: 'Wonder Years'
- Destiny's Child's Most Iconic Looks
- Best Off-Season Bikini Bods
- Emma Stone's Best Red-Carpet Looks
- Celeb Flashers
- Mariah Carey's Biggest Feuds
- Mariah Carey's Wacky Wardrobe
- Britney Spears' Wackiest Red Carpet Poses
- Celeb Makeup Mistakes
- Ryan Gosling's Leading Ladies
- Nicole Kidman's Golden Globe Fashion
- Katy Perry's Year as a Single Gal
- Celebs Who've Removed Romantic Tattoos
- Most Memorable Celeb Holiday Cards
- Five of the Worst Celeb Winter Wardrobes
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Romance Retro
- Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
- Christina Aguilera's Worst Looks
- 2012's One Hit Wonders
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Best and Worst Beach Bodies of 2012
- 2012 Fashion Don'ts
- Craziest Beauty Trends of 2012
- Celebs Who Survived Cheating Scandals
- The Turkeys of 2012
- Kristen Stewart's Best Red Carpet Moments
- WATN: 'Less Than Zero'
- Star Couples Who Went from Friends to Lovers
- The Most Famous Celebrity Pets
- The Hottest Celebrity Halloween Costumes
- WATN: 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'
- Jessica Biel's White Hot Red Carpet Style
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite