Carlile hopes to inspire with same-sex marriage
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — For years, acclaimed singer-songwriter Brandi Carlile kept her personal life exactly that — personal. As other gay entertainers made pronouncements about their relationships, Carlile, while not hiding her sexuality, kept the public focus on her music.
But with gay marriage embroiled in the political landscape, Carlile is taking a stand, and on Saturday, she will do it with the biggest step of her life — by getting married to her partner, Catherine Shepherd.
"It was a crazy feeling while I was filling out the paperwork because I felt like I was breaking a law, like somebody was going to come in and say, 'You know you can't have this,'" said Carlile of getting her marriage license. "It was so exciting. And her mom and dad were there and it was just really special. So we have a marriage license in Massachusetts."
The couple will have a small ceremony Saturday in Boston, the first of three the couple plans to hold to celebrate their marriage. They also plan to hold a large reception Sept. 28 outside Seattle where Carlile grew up and will have a third ceremony in London, where Shepherd was raised, early next year.
As she described her plans earlier this week, she admitted she never thought she'd have the chance to celebrate love this way.
"It's so surprising," Carlile said, "and so hard fought. ... I wouldn't have been able to picture myself married or successful or pursuing my dreams if there hadn't been other people that had done it before me, like role models, and that's why talking about it is so important. If a 14- or 15-year-old girl reads this in a small town who's gay, then she knows that someday she might get to go get a marriage license and get married, and there's no reason she should stop dreaming about a white wedding because I didn't."
Carlile started off in the Seattle coffeehouse scene before attracting attention from people like Rick Rubin and Burnett, who have both produced her albums, and Elton John, with whom she's collaborated. Though she has yet to have wide commercial success, she has matured into an artist who fits into several worlds simultaneously — country, folk and rock — as she showed during a visit to Nashville this week for performances during the Americana Music Association conference and awards.
That overarching sense of freedom is informing every part of Carlile's life, from the recording of her latest album "Bear Creek" to her charitable work to her ideas about taking a stand in politically exciting times.
Speaking out is a personal thing for Carlile, but it's also a very public act as election season nears. She hopes to do her part to help pass Referendum 74 to legalize same-sex marriage in Washington along with other issues she feels are important, like opposing the Defense of Marriage Act.
"There's a political undercurrent around equality right now that just demands a voice, voices to rise up and say, 'Yeah, I'm one of these people too and I believe this thing as well,'" said Carlile. "So that's what we're doing right now. We're on the cusp of a civil rights movement and so I have to be a part of it and I want to be."
The 31-year-old singer's closest friends say Shepherd's presence has changed Carlile in so many ways, and not just personally. It's even reflected in "Bear Creek," released earlier this summer. The album was recorded in a mellow, experimental atmosphere.
Carlile thinks "Bear Creek" is her best record because of that total freedom. Bandmates Tim and Phil Hanseroth, twins who play guitar and bass for Carlile, think Shepherd made it all possible.
"(Carlile) is the fearless leader of our group and things have just been really sunny lately," Tim Hanseroth said.
Follow AP Music Writer Chris Talbott: http://twitter.com/Chris_Talbott.
- Brad Pitt's Changing Looks
- Hollywood's Hottest Dads
- Mark Wahlberg's Shirtless Looks
- Prince William & Duchess Kate's Cutest Couple Moments
- Stars with tattoos of other celebs
- Brooke Shields' Changing Looks
- Carrie Underwood's Evolving Looks
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Cast Yearbook Photos
- Worst Celeb Sunburns
- Celeb Twins
- Celebs Who Work Out on the Beach
- Country Music's Hottest Couples
- Worst spring wardrobes
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Romance Retro
- WATN: 'Boy Meets World'
- Tim McGraw's changing looks
- Craziest Kim Kardashian pregnancy rumors
- Celebs Who Look Like Their Pets
- Mariah & Nick's Matching Style
- Hollywood's Tomboys
- The Royal Couple's Favorite Sports
- Kim Kardashian's Curvy Maternity Style
- WATN: 'Jurassic Park'
- January Jones' Retro Looks
- The Rock's Soft Side
- WATN: 'Veronica Mars'
- WATN: 'Beetlejuice'
- Fergie's Changing Looks
- Star Twitter Quitters
- Hollywood's Hottest Ryans
- Insured Celebrity Body Parts
- Most Expensive Celeb Engagement Rings
- Sweetest Celeb PDA
- Kim Kardashian's Tightest Looks
- Olivia Wilde's Best Street Style
- Justin Timberlake's Many Looks
- Hottest Royal Beach Bodies
- Celebrity Pets with Famous Names
- Michelle Williams' Best Fashion Moments
- Lindsay Lohan's Changing Looks
- Justin Bieber's Changing Hair
- Most Awkward People on the Red Carpet
- WATN: '7th Heaven'
- Ke$ha's Worst Looks
- Worst Oscar Fashion
- George Clooney's Oscar Dates
- Most Embarrassing Celeb Splits
- Stars Before They Were Oscar Nominees
- Jennifer Lawrence's Best Fashion Moments
- Rihanna's Sexiest Grammy Style
- Drew Barrymore's Craziest Looks
- Jennifer Aniston's Changing Looks
- Worst Dressed Celeb Designers
- Anne Hathaway's Oscar Looks
- Grammy's Hottest Couples
- Taylor Swift's Best Grammy Fashion
- WATN: 'Wonder Years'
- Destiny's Child's Most Iconic Looks
- Best Off-Season Bikini Bods
- Emma Stone's Best Red-Carpet Looks
- Celeb Flashers
- Mariah Carey's Biggest Feuds
- Mariah Carey's Wacky Wardrobe
- Britney Spears' Wackiest Red Carpet Poses
- Celeb Makeup Mistakes
- Ryan Gosling's Leading Ladies
- Nicole Kidman's Golden Globe Fashion
- Katy Perry's Year as a Single Gal
- Celebs Who've Removed Romantic Tattoos
- Most Memorable Celeb Holiday Cards
- Five of the Worst Celeb Winter Wardrobes
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Romance Retro
- Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
- Christina Aguilera's Worst Looks
- 2012's One Hit Wonders
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Best and Worst Beach Bodies of 2012
- 2012 Fashion Don'ts
- Craziest Beauty Trends of 2012
- Celebs Who Survived Cheating Scandals
- The Turkeys of 2012
- Kristen Stewart's Best Red Carpet Moments
- WATN: 'Less Than Zero'
- Star Couples Who Went from Friends to Lovers
- The Most Famous Celebrity Pets
- The Hottest Celebrity Halloween Costumes
- WATN: 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'
- Jessica Biel's White Hot Red Carpet Style
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite