Chris Pine on Jack Frost, Jack Ryan, the bogeyman
LONDON (AP) — As a kid, Chris Pine used to be afraid of the bogeyman. Now he fights one on the big screen.
The 32-year-old American actor is taking on his first voice-over role as Jack Frost in Dreamworks animated film "Rise of the Guardians." His winter wonderland character is asked to join Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy — played by Alec Baldwin, Hugh Jackman and Isla Fisher — to defeat a bogeyman called Pitch (Jude Law).
Pine says the most magical part is getting to see his vocals combined with the animators' work.
"By the time you get to see it all put together, it's many, many months, even years down the road. I saw one version of it three months ago and was astounded by how unique the art looked," he told The Associated Press in an interview.
Pine took a break from being the latest actor to portray Tom Clancy's hero character "Jack Ryan" in London, to talk about his own battles with the bogeyman.
AP: Try and describe this film ("Rise of the Guardians"), is it a bit like "The Avengers"?
PINE: I guess so, it's like "Avengers" for kids. It's every character that you knew from growing up— from Santa Claus to Sandman to the Tooth Fairy to the Easter Bunny — all brought together as this fantastic crime-fighting team.
AP: Would you say they're myths or legends?
PINE: I would say they're legends ... these different legends that we've all known as children growing up, no matter where you are or where you live, all come together. It's a timeless story about belief and the power of the imagination.
AP: What's your voiceover outfit when you turn up to be Jack Frost?
PINE: (When) I used to go out for commercials, I always felt like a schmuck that I was on these awful auditions. And there would be these guys in sweat pants and mesh shorts that looked like they hadn't shaved in many months. They looked like they were having the time of their lives and they were always the voiceover artists. Comfort's the name of the game— sweat pants and sandals.
AP: Will this appeal to the kids in your family?
PINE: Probably this and what I called my big hair picture, "The Princess Diaries 2." I'm really, really excited to show my nephew and all the kids in my life this film. For me, growing up Christmas time was always the most fantastic, exciting time of year, and you'd stay up until three in the morning. You'd hear the parents wrapping in the other room but you knew that also, maybe, they were in collusion with Santa Claus.
AP: When you were younger were you ever scared of the bogeyman?
PINE: I don't know any kid that's not afraid at some point going to bed with the lights off, totally. That's why they make nightlights. I guess it took me some time to get used to it.
AP: Can you put an age on that?
AP: So you can now sleep with the lights off?
PINE: Not really, but I'm getting there.
AP: What gives you nightmares?
PINE: Not a fan of spiders. I saw the movie 'Arachnophobia' which was single-handedly rated in the top three worse choices of my life.
AP: You've been filming "Jack Ryan" — how's it been going? I've seen pictures of you in the papers throwing Keira Knightley in and out of cars.
PINE: I saw those guys with the huge telephoto lenses in the pouring rain, those poor guys (laughs)! They were getting drenched. I don't feel too much pity for them. It's a lot of fun and Keira's really lovely
Selena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Victoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Florence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
- Beers With BieberJustin Bieber shares photos of his beer-drinking safari on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Missing Miley?Get the scoop on the newest breakup rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Visiting U.S.Prince Harry is visiting the United States again, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersMiranda Kerr, Katy Perry, and Bjork all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Wants PrivacySelena Gomez doesn't like everyone knowing about her relationship with Justin Bieber, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Baby FaceCheck out the first pic of Malin Akerman's son -- a closeup of his adorable face -- on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite