Country duo Love and Theft start over, yet again
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The members of country duo Love and Theft view the last few years as addition by subtraction.
First, they lost their record label. Then Brian Bandas, the third member of their trio, quit. But with a new deal with Sony Music Nashville imprint RCA Nashville and a single chugging up the charts, Eric Gunderson and Stephen Barker Liles love their new lives.
"We're both on the same page," Liles said. "We're way closer friends than either of us were with Brian. We musically have the same influences. We have the same goals and visions with what we want to do with our band."
"And let's be honest," Gunderson joked, "it doesn't take a genius to realize that if you split money two ways instead of three ways, you make more money."
You can't blame Gunderson, 27, and Liles, 28, for feeling nervous upon the release of their self-titled second album, which came out last week. They've been to this point before and had everything fall apart — twice.
Originally signed by Disney Music Group to Carolwood Records, that imprint was shuttered just a few months after the release of their debut album, "World Wide Open." They moved to Disney's Lyric Street, which was already home to another trio you might have heard of, Rascal Flatts. That label closed in 2010, leaving the band to start over from scratch. They didn't even have the rights to re-record their own music.
"At the time, we were like (the closure) is awesome," Gunderson said. "We don't have to pay anything back. We can go get a fresh start and we've already done all the legwork. But then we kind of realized, oh, it's really not as easy as we thought it would be to go find a label home."
Executives at Sony had looked closely at the band early on and were again interested in signing a deal last year. But on the day the offer came through, Bandas called Gunderson and Liles and told them he was quitting.
They weren't about to give up, though, and tried to convince label executives they were still viable as a duo. As it turns out, Sony agreed.
"I think when you hear Stephen's and Eric's voices together that's the answer right there," Sony Music Nashville President and CEO Gary Overton said.
When Overton first heard the group's work as a trio, he said he liked the music but didn't know who was singing what part. As a duo, Liles and Gunderson still trade off on vocals — sometimes mid-song — but there was something more distinctive about Love and Theft's newest incarnation.
"They love to perform," Overton said. "And I talked to our radio staff here and they said they checked them out at radio and radio loves them. But really it just comes down to that music piece. I spent a little time with those guys and I told them I don't care if you're a duo or a trio or anything else, it's just what I love. And they have not disappointed."
Fans have responded, making lead single "Angel Eyes" into a top five hit that's approaching No. 1 and gold sales status. They're making the rounds on television, supporting Brad Paisley on tour and doing all the things they thought they'd be doing three years ago.
Yet, they admit they're having difficulty getting past the feeling that something catastrophic might happen any minute.
"Definitely, after what we've been through," Liles said. "We thought we were out of the tunnel three or four times. We're a little more protective, but we do feel pretty good. We do feel like we're on top of something."
Follow http://www.twitter.com/AP—Country for the latest country music news from the Associated Press. And follow Music Writer Chris Talbott at http://www.twitter.com/Chris—Talbott.
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Magic LoveThe stars of "Now You See Me" chat learning magic tricks and experiencing the real deal.Watch Video »
- Workout ObsessedGwyneth Paltrow works out for two hours a day, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite