Cybill Shepherd's back, and on the 'List'
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) -- For Cybill Shepherd, her role on "The Client List" is all about happy endings.
After a career as a teen model in the late '60s, she made her transition to film as the muse to boyfriend-director Peter Bogdanovich in his critically beloved "The Last Picture Show," and then scored commercial and critical success again in director Elaine May's "The Heartbreak Kid" and Martin Scorsese's "Taxi Driver."
But two ambitious big-screen Bogdanovich disappointments ("Daisy Miller" and "At Long Last Love") were, in part, the reason she retired in the late '70s.
Shepherd returned with two successful TV series, the '80s detective comedy "Moonlighting" and the '90s sitcom "Cybill," the memories of both tarnished by stories of behind-the-scenes strife after Shepherd was snubbed by the Emmys and watched co-stars Bruce Willis and Christine Baranski go home with the gold.
She addressed those issues in her 2000 autobiography, denying behind-the-scenes arguments, but admitting: "The grain of truth is this: Who doesn't want to win an Emmy?"
Since then, the 62-year-old Shepherd has focused on family and work — despite eternal leading-lady looks and a blast of colorful supporting character-actor roles. She's a regular in Lifetime's "The Client List," which last weekend saw its audience grow to 2.9 million viewers, making it the network's second-highest-rated Sunday series, right behind its perennial hit "Army Wives." In demographic-focused cable-network terms, it's a breakthrough hit.
In the series, Shepherd portrays the Bible-thumpin', tough-Texas-talkin' mama Linette with the tease-it-to-Jesus-ha irdo. Her only child, Jennifer Love Hewitt's Riley, is forced to support her family working as a masseuse — and not the kind her mama thinks.
"I think `the iron butterfly' is how they referred to (the late first lady) Lady Bird Johnson. Of course that became `steel magnolias,' so, definitely, Linette falls into that category," Shepherd said in a recent interview. "And, also, as Anne Richards, for former governor of Texas said, `The bigger the hair, the closer to God.'"
It takes some doing to get Shepherd's shoulder-length golden hair to that high state. "(Linette's hair) has got a life of its own. You learn to do it. I can't do it on myself like that," she continued. "But I've had hairdressers, and they just make my hair huge."
And then there's that accent. Memphis-native Shepherd naturally has a soft, sultry drawl, but had to get the stronger Texas sound down for "Picture Show," and it still proves no small feat.
"I can overdo the Texas accent. I, at one point, was saying, `Y'all HAWN-gry?' And the executive producer, who is from Texas, came up from Beaumont, said, `We don't say HAWN-gry. We say, `HUN-gry.' And I was like, `Oh, thank you. Tell me that as soon as you notice it."
For Shepherd, the "Client List" role feels a bit like following in the shoes of her mentors. She was just 19 when she did "Picture Show," opposite veterans Eileen Brennan, Ellen Burstyn and Cloris Leachman (the latter winning an Oscar for her performance). "And they were all playing these wonderful older characters in their prime. And I feel like this is my chance to do that."
Off screen, the twice-divorced Shepherd is very close to her three children, "but I don't have kids at home anymore. I have a 15-year-old cat." And there is a boyfriend. "Mum's the word. We've managed to stay under the radar, and we're going to keep it that way."
But not as an actress: In addition to "Client List," it's likely she'll return to "Psych," on which she's made guest appearances, and she just signed to appear as a guest on "Hot in Cleveland."
"Mama very happy," Shepherd said, smiling. "I'm very happy. And I'm going to keep it that way."
Selena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Victoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Florence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
- Beers With BieberJustin Bieber shares photos of his beer-drinking safari on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Missing Miley?Get the scoop on the newest breakup rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Visiting U.S.Prince Harry is visiting the United States again, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersMiranda Kerr, Katy Perry, and Bjork all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Wants PrivacySelena Gomez doesn't like everyone knowing about her relationship with Justin Bieber, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Baby FaceCheck out the first pic of Malin Akerman's son -- a closeup of his adorable face -- on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite