David Bowie's 'Where Are We Now' Looking for Rock Songs Chart Debut
Billboard -- David Bowie's rush-released "Where Are We Now" may currently sit at No. 1 on iTunes' U.K. Top Singles list and figure prominently in download sales worldwide, but it is currently set to miss out on the Official Charts Company's chart on Sunday, as it contravenes OCC rules.
"Now" does not feature in the company's current "midweek" sales data because it is linked to pre-orders of Bowie's "The Next Day" album, due in March. An OCC statement says: "Owing to chart rules which are agreed in partnership with U.K. record companies and retailers, data relating to the David Bowie single 'Where Are We Now' cannot currently be counted towards the official singles charts, as the release is linked to an album pre-order promotion and it is not possible to distinguish album sales from track sales from the retail data received.
"Should it become possible in the future for regular track sales to be distinguished from album pre-order incentive purchases, then these sales can be counted towards the chart."
Bowie's most recent appearance in the top 40 of the U.K. singles chart came when "Everyone Says 'Hi'" reached No. 20 in 2002.
David Bowie Releases First Single in a Decade, Album to Follow
The surprise appearance of the track yesterday (Tuesday) morning was greeted with wall-to-wall media coverage, almost all of it positive. The London Times ran a cover story leading to a double page spread on pages 4 and 5 of the newspaper, and "Now" was immediately A-listed on both BBC Radio 2 and BBC 6 Music.
The Times quoted producer Tony Visconti describing "The Next Day" as "a rock album. There are songs on there that could fill stadiums. We recorded it live, with David on keyboards and guitar. Lyrically it's a wide gamut. Some songs are personal, looking back; others are observational."
Observers marvelled that the track's release remained a secret until almost the moment of its appearance. Bowie's son, film director Duncan Jones, tweeted on Monday: "Heh heh heh...I know something you don't know."
As for "Where Are We Now's" chart fortunes in the United States, things are different. Instant-gratification tracks tied to iTunes album pre-orders are reported as sales by iTunes to Nielsen SoundScan, and in turn, to Billboard's sales charts. The song is also available to purchase as a stand-alone track.
Label sources suggest that "Where Are We Now" might sell between 30,000 to 40,000 downloads in the U.S. in the tracking week ending Jan. 13. That number will include sales generated by pre-orders of the iTunes edition of the album.
With that sales sum, and its airplay only just starting to gain traction, it's unlikely the song will debut on the overall Billboard Hot 100. Bowie has logged 26 entries on the Hot 100, including two No. 1s ("Fame" and "Let's Dance"). He last visited the chart in 1997 with "I'm Afraid of Americans" (No. 66).
Though "Where Are We Now" may not hit the Hot 100 next week, the tune could reach the top 25 on the Rock Digital Songs chart.
With additional reporting by Keith Caulfield in Los Angeles.
_ _ _ _
Find more online: Billboard.com
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Check out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
Florence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Victoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
- Beers With BieberJustin Bieber shares photos of his beer-drinking safari on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Missing Miley?Get the scoop on the newest breakup rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Visiting U.S.Prince Harry is visiting the United States again, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersMiranda Kerr, Katy Perry, and Bjork all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Wants PrivacySelena Gomez doesn't like everyone knowing about her relationship with Justin Bieber, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Baby FaceCheck out the first pic of Malin Akerman's son -- a closeup of his adorable face -- on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite