'Die Hard' director John McTiernan headed to prison after Supreme Court denies appeal
The Hollywood Reporter -- John McTiernan, who directed such movies as "Die Hard" and "The Hunt for Red October," has run out of appeals and soon will be headed to federal prison in connection with his role in the Anthony Pellicano wiretapping scandal.
McTiernan was sentenced in late 2010 to one year in prison and a fine of $100,000 after pleading guilty to making false statements to the FBI in its investigation into the activities of Pellicano, the former Hollywood private detective who already is behind bars.
McTiernan's request to reverse his guilty plea was declined Monday by the U.S. Supreme Court. His appeal to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals had been rejected in August. He had sought to suppress a digital recording where he discussed the use of an illegal wiretap by Pellicano, whom he had hired to investigate producer Chuck Roven.
That appeal was denied, but he was given a stay from prison until the Supreme Court could consider his case. Now that the high court has denied the appeal, he'll soon head be incarcerated. After serving his time, McTiernan will continue to be under a supervised release for three years.
McTiernan attorney Charles Sevilla of San Diego did not respond to a request for comment. In 2002, when the illegal wiretap was used, McTiernan was working on the remake of "Rollerball," which Roven was producing.
When he was first interviewed by authorities, McTiernan insisted his involvement with Pellicano was very limited. Later, when confronted with a recording that showed he hired the private eye, the director agreed to plead guilty.
McTiernan later hired new lawyers and worked to withdraw his guilty plea and suppress certain evidence. On his initial appeal to the federal court, the judges ruled he had gotten bad legal advice from his first lawyer and allowed him to withdraw his plea.
The filmmaker was indicted again, and after his renewed efforts to suppress the evidence failed, he entered another guilty plea.
An appeals court also rejected McTiernan's argument that U.S. District Court Judge Dale Fischer should have recused herself after she allegedly made hostile comments toward him in court as she repeatedly denied his request to suppress the tapes.
Now McTiernan again must appear before Fischer, who is expected to order him to report for incarceration. That final step could take a few weeks or a couple months, according to legal sources.
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Magic LoveThe stars of "Now You See Me" chat learning magic tricks and experiencing the real deal.Watch Video »
- Workout ObsessedGwyneth Paltrow works out for two hours a day, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite