Duchess Kate, Prince William Did Not Meet at St. Andrews as Believed, Biographer Reveals
- Photo: GettyImages.com1 of 14
- Photo: DSM/ZDS/WENN2 of 14
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage3 of 14
- Photo: Rex USA4 of 14
- Photo: Invision/AP5 of 14
- Photo: Rex USA6 of 14
- Photo: Chris Jackson/Invision/AP7 of 14
- Photo: Robert F. Bukaty/Invision/AP8 of 14
- Photo: OLIVIA HARRIS/Reuters9 of 14
- Photo: APL/WENN10 of 14
- Photo: Splash News11 of 14
- Photo: Rex USA12 of 14
- Photo: Nicolas Asfouri/Invision/AP13 of 14
More Celeb News
- Investigating Veronica Mars: Creator Rob Thomas on the Show's Enduring Legacy 10 Years LateMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- 8 Crazy Things to Expect on Sleepy Hollow Season 2MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Emmy Winner and Singer Polly Bergen Dies at 84MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:22:00 PM
- Kim Kardashian Among the Latest Targeted in Nude Photo LeakMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:22:00 PM
- U2 guitarist gets boost in bid for Malibu mansionsMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 2:26:14 PM
- Investigating Veronica Mars: Creator Rob Thomas on the Show's Enduring Legacy 10 Years Late
Everyone thinks they know the story of how Duchess Kate and Prince William fell in love: They met at St. Andrews University, became friends and, later, roommates, and then started dating. But that's not actually how it happened, royal biographer and Vanity Fair contributor Katie Nicholl divulges in her new book, "Kate: The Future Queen."
In fact, Nicholl says, the Duke and Duchess actually crossed paths long before they enrolled at St. Andrews University in 2001. Speaking about her discovery in an interview with Katie Couric on the Sept. 17 episode of "Katie," Nicholl revealed that she talked with some of Middleton's pals, who shared the story of how the brunette beauty really met her prince.
"This was really fascinating for me," Nicholl told Couric. "I was speaking to some of her friends at Marlborough School, which was where she went before St. Andrews, and they said, 'Uh uh, she didn't meet him at St. Andrews. She met him before she got there ... through some of her friends. They knew Prince William and Prince Harry.'"
She continued, "So there was an early meeting. And that for me changed everything."
It's especially interesting, Nicholl says, given Middleton's last-minute change-of-heart about school. She reports in her book that the future Duchess of Cambridge originally wanted to attend Edinburgh, not St. Andrews. After getting her Edinburgh acceptance letter, though, she made the sudden decision to drop her place, take a gap year, and reapply to St. Andrews.
"It was a big risk -- applicants to St. Andrews had shot up by nearly 50 percent when the Palace announced that Prince William was going there," Nicholl writes in her book.
Middleton got in, of course. And the rest, as they say, is history. She and William married in 2011 and welcomed their first child, Prince George, in July.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
All Grown Up
Nick Jonas reveals how he celebrated his 22nd birthday on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBirthday Fun
From Crowd Ignite