- Photo: Tim Rooke/Rex USA1 of 13
- Photo: McPix Ltd/Rex USA2 of 13
- Photo: DSDD/JRAB/ZOB/ZDF/WENN3 of 13
- Photo: Danny Lawson/Invision/AP4 of 13
- Photo: OLIVIA HARRIS/Reuters5 of 13
- Photo: SUAA/ZDS/EXP/WENN6 of 13
- Photo: Tim Rooke/Rex USA7 of 13
- Photo: Rex USA8 of 13
- Photo: KPB/WENN9 of 13
- Photo: Tim Rooke/Rex/Rex USA10 of 13
- Photo: Rex USA11 of 13
- Photo: Mirrorpix/Splash News12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 5:00:00 PM
- Ray J Arraigned for Sexual Battery, Vandalism and Resisting ArrestMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:59:00 PM
- Mark Wahlberg in Talks to Star in J.C. Chandor's 'Deepwater Horizon'MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:49:00 PM
- 'The Gunfighter' Director Eric Kissack on How He Cast Nick Offerman: TheWrap&aMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Benedict Cumberbatch Joins WB's 'Jungle Book' as Voice of Shere KhanMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?
LONDON (AP) — The wait is almost over.
News that Prince William's wife Kate is in labor invigorated the makeshift encampment outside St. Mary's Hospital — a melange of journalists, photographers, curious onlookers and a few die-hard royalists.
Reporters filed updates in a dozen languages outside the Lindo Wing, although no news has emerged since Kate was admitted early Monday. Tourists photographed the plain, 5-story brick building, its front door flanked by four police officers, and snapped the scurrying, coffee-swilling photographers and journalists.
RELATED: Hottest royal beach bods
Terry Hutt, a 78-year-old carpenter from Cambridge in eastern England, sensed an end to the vigil he has kept for 12 days, sleeping outside the hospital on a bench covered with a Union Jack blanket.
Hutt, who is proud to have met every royal from the late Queen Mother on, said he was doing his bit for Britain by camping outside the hospital in his red, white and blue Union Jack suit, holding flags and congratulatory banners.
"To me, the royal family play a very, very important role," he said. "Visitors from all over the world haven't got a king and queen. It's a plus for us."
As London commuters rushed past the hospital to work, Pascal Faure, a maintenance contractor originally from South Africa, stopped to snap a picture on his phone for friends at home and in Australia.
"It's part of their heritage, I guess, their culture," said Faure, who claimed his own tenuous royal connection: "Apparently my third cousin once removed is Chelsy" Davy, Prince Harry's former girlfriend.
He also had more insight than most into the 5,000-pound ($8,000) -a-night private wing where the Duchess of Cambridge is giving birth. He fixed the air-conditioning there last week — a good thing, too, as Monday is scheduled to be the hottest day of the year in London.
"If the air-con stops working, I'll probably be the one to go in," he said,
Some bystanders were bemused by the scale of the media throng, but many were happy to enjoy the sense of occasion.
"It's probably quite good for the whole country and likewise for the rest of the world," said Matt Hicks, an event manager from Australia's Gold Coast.
RELATED: Duchess Kate's maternity style
"I love the royals — what it's all about, the history behind it," he said. "I know this country is quite divided about it, but back in Australia we love the royals."
Whether a boy or a girl, the baby will be third in line to the British throne. Most bystanders expressed no preference about the baby's gender.
"A girl maybe, if it's as beautiful as Kate," said Katya Im-Albon, a tourist from Switzerland.
Stay tuned for more details...
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSassy Single
From Crowd Ignite