Foreign Language Oscar: Four Directors on Their Contenders
The Hollywood Reporter -- This story first appeared in the Dec. 21 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
A Royal Affair (Denmark) Nikolaj Arcel He cast an unknown for his film about Denmark's mad 18th century monarch. "The film was originally set to star Carey Mulligan as Queen Caroline and Paul Dano as King Christian. Lars von Trier, producer and script consultant, was quite proud, mostly because he was sure we'd based the crazy king on him. But financing turned out to be tough in 2008, so we did it in Danish, with Mikkel Boe Foelsgaard [far left], who'd never done a single role before. When Mikkel won best actor in Berlin, jury members Mike Leigh, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anton Corbijn and Charlotte Gainsbourg sneaked up to him at the afterparty, trying to get a feel of him. They said, &lsquoIf you are really crazy, we want our award back!' He is the opposite of Christian, a soft-spoken, humble, sweet guy."
The Deep (Iceland) Baltasar Kormakur When suits tried to lowball his shipwreck movie, it helped to know Mark Wahlberg. "On Contraband [which Kormakur also directed], it felt very soon like Mark was a childhood friend, someone I had known forever. We just understand each other without talking. We are both really competitive and athletic. When [execs] wanted me to use a tiny little boat for The Deep [about a shipwrecked Icelandic fisherman's incredible 1984 survival], I talked to Mark. He stepped in at a crucial moment and said, &lsquoBaltasar has to get this.' A bigger boat. I never used the power of him until this one time, and he really showed his chops. He got everyone to the table to figure it out. After that, he and Steve Levinson offered me The Missionary, the HBO pilot."
PHOTOS: The 8 Studio Picks for Best Picture Oscar
Lost Loves (Cambodia) Chhay Bora The first-time director risked it all to tell the truth about the nightmare world the Khmer Rouge created. "In terms of financial backing, we were in a difficult situation. My wife and I were university professors for many years, and this is my first movie. We had very little support, so we used all of our savings. Many people are investing their savings in real estate in Cambodia these days; we put ours into our film. Some of our friends said we were crazy to invest everything we had into this risky project. We haven't made all our money back, but I feel that we have achieved something. The important thing was to make sure the Khmer Rouge story was told &mdash to connect the younger generations in Cambodia to the experiences their parents and grandparents went through."
Lore (Australia) Cate Shortland Finding the right female lead in this German-language Holocaust drama meant settling for perfect. "The Lore we originally cast was in fact 14, not 16 as we thought. Under German law she could only work four hours a day. Maybe I swore a little. How could we find a new Lore in a week? Casting director Jacqueline Rietz showed me photos of six new girls, and one struck me: a girl [Saskia Rosenthal, right] with serious eyes and porcelain skin. All the girls had acting experience except for 17-year-old Saskia, a classically trained dancer. Jacqueline informed me I had rejected her three months before as &lsquotoo perfect.' We began to work, and within 30 seconds I had cold shivers. She is perfect. It's like working with a beautiful Dalai Lama."
Related article on THR.com:
A Guide to the Foreign Oscar Race
_ _ _ _
Find more online: THR.com
- Brad Pitt's Changing Looks
- Hollywood's Hottest Dads
- Mark Wahlberg's Shirtless Looks
- Prince William & Duchess Kate's Cutest Couple Moments
- Stars with tattoos of other celebs
- Brooke Shields' Changing Looks
- Carrie Underwood's Evolving Looks
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Cast Yearbook Photos
- Worst Celeb Sunburns
- Celeb Twins
- Celebs Who Work Out on the Beach
- Country Music's Hottest Couples
- Worst spring wardrobes
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Romance Retro
- WATN: 'Boy Meets World'
- Tim McGraw's changing looks
- Craziest Kim Kardashian pregnancy rumors
- Celebs Who Look Like Their Pets
- Mariah & Nick's Matching Style
- Hollywood's Tomboys
- The Royal Couple's Favorite Sports
- Kim Kardashian's Curvy Maternity Style
- WATN: 'Jurassic Park'
- January Jones' Retro Looks
- The Rock's Soft Side
- WATN: 'Veronica Mars'
- WATN: 'Beetlejuice'
- Fergie's Changing Looks
- Star Twitter Quitters
- Hollywood's Hottest Ryans
- Insured Celebrity Body Parts
- Most Expensive Celeb Engagement Rings
- Sweetest Celeb PDA
- Kim Kardashian's Tightest Looks
- Olivia Wilde's Best Street Style
- Justin Timberlake's Many Looks
- Hottest Royal Beach Bodies
- Celebrity Pets with Famous Names
- Michelle Williams' Best Fashion Moments
- Lindsay Lohan's Changing Looks
- Justin Bieber's Changing Hair
- Most Awkward People on the Red Carpet
- WATN: '7th Heaven'
- Ke$ha's Worst Looks
- Worst Oscar Fashion
- George Clooney's Oscar Dates
- Most Embarrassing Celeb Splits
- Stars Before They Were Oscar Nominees
- Jennifer Lawrence's Best Fashion Moments
- Rihanna's Sexiest Grammy Style
- Drew Barrymore's Craziest Looks
- Jennifer Aniston's Changing Looks
- Worst Dressed Celeb Designers
- Anne Hathaway's Oscar Looks
- Grammy's Hottest Couples
- Taylor Swift's Best Grammy Fashion
- WATN: 'Wonder Years'
- Destiny's Child's Most Iconic Looks
- Best Off-Season Bikini Bods
- Emma Stone's Best Red-Carpet Looks
- Celeb Flashers
- Mariah Carey's Biggest Feuds
- Mariah Carey's Wacky Wardrobe
- Britney Spears' Wackiest Red Carpet Poses
- Celeb Makeup Mistakes
- Ryan Gosling's Leading Ladies
- Nicole Kidman's Golden Globe Fashion
- Katy Perry's Year as a Single Gal
- Celebs Who've Removed Romantic Tattoos
- Most Memorable Celeb Holiday Cards
- Five of the Worst Celeb Winter Wardrobes
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Romance Retro
- Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
- Christina Aguilera's Worst Looks
- 2012's One Hit Wonders
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Best and Worst Beach Bodies of 2012
- 2012 Fashion Don'ts
- Craziest Beauty Trends of 2012
- Celebs Who Survived Cheating Scandals
- The Turkeys of 2012
- Kristen Stewart's Best Red Carpet Moments
- WATN: 'Less Than Zero'
- Star Couples Who Went from Friends to Lovers
- The Most Famous Celebrity Pets
- The Hottest Celebrity Halloween Costumes
- WATN: 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'
- Jessica Biel's White Hot Red Carpet Style
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite