Fox's 'Following' gets off to a strong start
NEW YORK (AP) — Thanks to a fictional serial killer and Kevin Bacon, there's a sense of relief over at Fox.
The network had a disappointing fall, the new "American Idol" team hasn't stopped the series' slow fade and its highly anticipated new drama, "The Following," got caught up in the discussion over violence in the media that followed the Connecticut school shooting.
Early returns on "The Following," which stars Bacon chasing a charismatic killer, have been encouraging. The series debuted last week with 10.4 million viewers and among Fox's target audience of 18-to-49-year-old viewers, it was the most-watched drama all week.
The second episode on Monday dropped only slightly, to 10 million viewers, the Nielsen ratings company said. It was up over the debut for young viewers, including a 13 percent increase among people ages 18 to 34, generally a very encouraging sign for a new TV series.
The attention-getting debut of "Carrie Diaries" on the CW network was a disappointment, however. The series is a "prequel" to HBO's old "Sex and the City" series, featuring the Carrie Bradshaw character in high school. Its debut audience of 1.27 million people was fewer than the CW series "Emily Owens, MD," which is not being renewed.
CBS' "60 Minutes," which led with Steve Kroft's dual interview with President Barack Obama and outgoing Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, finished in the week's top 10 with 11.6 million viewers. CBS won the week again, even though many of its regular series were in reruns.
For the week, CBS led with an average of 8.9 million viewers in prime time (5.8 rating, 9 share). Fox was second with an average of 7.1 million (4.1, 6) and led among the 18-to-49-year-old viewers it most cares about. ABC had 5.7 million viewers (3.7, 6), NBC had 5.4 million (3.4, 5), the CW had 1.7 million (1.1, 2) and ION Television had 1.2 million (0.8, 1).
Among the Spanish-language networks, Univision led with an average of 3.9 million viewers (2.0, 3), Telemundo had 1.4 million (0.7, 1), UniMas had 700,000 (0.4, 1), Estrella had 230,000 and Azteca had 150,000 (both 0.1, 0).
NBC's "Nightly News" topped the evening newscasts with an average of 9.2 million viewers (6.2, 11). ABC's "World News" was second with 8.3 million (5.9, 11) and the "CBS Evening News" had 7.2 million viewers (4.9, 9).
A ratings point represents 1,147,000 households, or 1 percent of the nation's estimated 114.7 million TV homes. The share is the percentage of in-use televisions tuned to a given show.
For the week of Jan. 21-27, the top 10 shows, their networks and viewerships: "American Idol" (Wednesday), Fox, 16.07 million; "American Idol" (Thursday), Fox, 15.65 million; "NCIS," CBS, 12.86 million; Pro Football: Pro Bowl, NBC, 12.16 million; "NCIS: Los Angeles," CBS, 11.93 million; "Criminal Minds," CBS, 11.84 million; "60 Minutes," CBS, 11.65 million; "2 Broke Girls," CBS, 11.56 million; "The Big Bang Theory," CBS, 11.49 million; "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," CBS, 11.46 million.
ABC is owned by The Walt Disney Co. CBS is owned by CBS Corp. CW is a joint venture of Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corp. Fox and My Network TV are units of News Corp. NBC and Telemundo are owned by Comcast Corp. ION Television is owned by ION Media Networks. TeleFutura is a division of Univision. Azteca America is a wholly owned subsidiary of TV Azteca S.A. de C.V.
Who Am I?
Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Khloe Kardashian showed off her svelte figure, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Kourtney Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens and Tara Reid all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
Katy Perry incites a Twitter feud with a 17-year-old rapper. Get the dirty details on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Chief BeefKaty Perry incites a Twitter feud with a 17-year-old rapper. Get the dirty details on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Fashion BluesKourtney Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens and Tara Reid all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Fights & FeudsGet the scoop on some of the most recent Hollywood feuds on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Svelte BodKhloe Kardashian showed off her svelte figure, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Last TripGet the scoop on Kim’s final pre-baby Parisian getaway on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Magic LoveThe stars of "Now You See Me" chat learning magic tricks and experiencing the real deal.Watch Video »
- Workout ObsessedGwyneth Paltrow works out for two hours a day, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite