- Photo: APL/WENN1 of 17
- Photo: Mark Baker/Wonderwall2 of 17
- Photo: Rex USA3 of 17
- Photo: Margaret Maxwell/AP4 of 17
- Photo: Lai Seng Sin/AP5 of 17
- Photo: APL/WENN6 of 17
- Photo: APL/WENN7 of 17
- Photo: APL/WENN8 of 17
- Photo: Tim Rooke/Rex USA9 of 17
- Photo: Tim Rooke/Rex USA10 of 17
- Photo: Stephen Morrison/AP11 of 17
- Photo: Eddie Mulholland/Rex/Rex USA12 of 17
- Photo: Rex USA13 of 17
- Photo: Solar Pix/PacificCoastNews.com14 of 17
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin15 of 17
- Photo: Vanity Fair16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Imagen Awards Nominate 'Chicago Fire,' 'Scandal,' 'GreyMSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 12:20:12 PM
- Shailene Woodley Is the Perfect Girl Next Door in 'The Spectacular Now' Trailer (VMSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 12:09:06 PM
- Emmys: In Praise of Tacky Reality Shows That Won't Get Anywhere Near the StageMSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 12:08:41 PM
- Emmys: A Top Reality Producer Pleads - 'Stop Voting for the Same Shows Every Year'MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 12:07:15 PM
- CBS Ups Glenn Geller to EVP, Current Programming; David Brownfield to Develop ShowsMSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 12:04:21 PM
- Imagen Awards Nominate 'Chicago Fire,' 'Scandal,' 'Grey
By Thomas Adamson
NANTERRE, France (AP) -- A French court was asked on Monday to halt further publication of topless photos of Prince William's wife Kate.
After hearing arguments Monday by lawyers for the British royal couple and for the Italian publishing house which owns the popular French gossip magazine Closer, the court said it would rule at noon on Tuesday. The royal request was made after Closer printed 14 pictures of the partially-clad Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, in its pages last week.
On Monday, the Italian gossip magazine Chi -- also owned by Mondadori, the publishing house owned by former Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi -- published a 26-page spread of photos of Kate without her swimsuit top. An Irish tabloid published more Kate topless photos over the weekend, drawing a vow from Ireland's justice minister to revise privacy laws there.
The photos in question show the Duchess of Cambridge relaxing during a holiday at a private villa in Provence, sometimes without her bathing suit top and, in one case, her suit bottom partially pulled down to apply sun screen.
William's St. James's Palace called the publications of the photos a "grotesque" invasion of the couple's privacy.
The royal couple's lawyer, Aurelien Hamelle, told the French court Monday that he is seeking €5,000 ($6,550) in damages from Closer and an injunction forcing the magazine to stop publishing the issue with the photos. He also asked the court to fine Closer €10,000 ($13,100) a day for each day the injunction is not respected, and €100,000 ($131,000) if the photos are sold.
Closer lawyer Delphine Pando told the court that the photos are not theirs to sell.
"We are not the owners of these photos," she said. "The photos are out there. If a TV show wants to show an image of this (magazine) edition, it's got nothing to do with us."
That argument echoed the stance of the editor of Chi, the Italian magazine. Alfonso Signorini told The Associated Press over the weekend that he didn't fear legal action since the photos are already in the public domain following Closer's publication.
In addition to the injunction demand, St. James's Palace said Sunday the family lawyers would file a criminal complaint against the unidentified photographer or photographers involved. The palace said it would be up to French prosecutors to decide whether to investigate and pursue a criminal case for breach of privacy or trespassing.
That second judicial action was not mentioned in Monday's proceedings, and there was no mention of the name of the photographer or photographers who took the offending pictures. There was only reference to an "agency."
Meanwhile, in Ireland, Justice Minister Alan Shatter said Monday that the country planned to introduce new privacy laws after the Irish Daily Star newspaper published the topless photographs of the princess.
"It is clear that some sections of the print media are either unable or unwilling in their reportage to distinguish between prurient interest and the public interest," said Shatter, who announced that previously abandoned proposals for privacy legislation will be revived.
"Sections of the print media believe that public figures are fair game and have no right to privacy in respect of any aspect of their lives," Shatter added.
RELATED: Will They Last?
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Brad Pitt's Changing Looks
- Hollywood's Hottest Dads
- Mark Wahlberg's Shirtless Looks
- Prince William & Duchess Kate's Cutest Couple Moments
- Stars with tattoos of other celebs
- Brooke Shields' Changing Looks
- Carrie Underwood's Evolving Looks
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Cast Yearbook Photos
- Worst Celeb Sunburns
- Celeb Twins
- Celebs Who Work Out on the Beach
- Country Music's Hottest Couples
- Worst spring wardrobes
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Romance Retro
- WATN: 'Boy Meets World'
- Tim McGraw's changing looks
- Craziest Kim Kardashian pregnancy rumors
- Celebs Who Look Like Their Pets
- Mariah & Nick's Matching Style
- Hollywood's Tomboys
- The Royal Couple's Favorite Sports
- Kim Kardashian's Curvy Maternity Style
- WATN: 'Jurassic Park'
- January Jones' Retro Looks
- The Rock's Soft Side
- WATN: 'Veronica Mars'
- WATN: 'Beetlejuice'
- Fergie's Changing Looks
- Star Twitter Quitters
- Hollywood's Hottest Ryans
- Insured Celebrity Body Parts
- Most Expensive Celeb Engagement Rings
- Sweetest Celeb PDA
- Kim Kardashian's Tightest Looks
- Olivia Wilde's Best Street Style
- Justin Timberlake's Many Looks
- Hottest Royal Beach Bodies
- Celebrity Pets with Famous Names
- Michelle Williams' Best Fashion Moments
- Lindsay Lohan's Changing Looks
- Justin Bieber's Changing Hair
- Most Awkward People on the Red Carpet
- WATN: '7th Heaven'
- Ke$ha's Worst Looks
- Worst Oscar Fashion
- George Clooney's Oscar Dates
- Most Embarrassing Celeb Splits
- Stars Before They Were Oscar Nominees
- Jennifer Lawrence's Best Fashion Moments
- Rihanna's Sexiest Grammy Style
- Drew Barrymore's Craziest Looks
- Jennifer Aniston's Changing Looks
- Worst Dressed Celeb Designers
- Anne Hathaway's Oscar Looks
- Grammy's Hottest Couples
- Taylor Swift's Best Grammy Fashion
- WATN: 'Wonder Years'
- Destiny's Child's Most Iconic Looks
- Best Off-Season Bikini Bods
- Emma Stone's Best Red-Carpet Looks
- Celeb Flashers
- Mariah Carey's Biggest Feuds
- Mariah Carey's Wacky Wardrobe
- Britney Spears' Wackiest Red Carpet Poses
- Celeb Makeup Mistakes
- Ryan Gosling's Leading Ladies
- Nicole Kidman's Golden Globe Fashion
- Katy Perry's Year as a Single Gal
- Celebs Who've Removed Romantic Tattoos
- Most Memorable Celeb Holiday Cards
- Five of the Worst Celeb Winter Wardrobes
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Romance Retro
- Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
- Christina Aguilera's Worst Looks
- 2012's One Hit Wonders
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Best and Worst Beach Bodies of 2012
- 2012 Fashion Don'ts
- Craziest Beauty Trends of 2012
- Celebs Who Survived Cheating Scandals
- The Turkeys of 2012
- Kristen Stewart's Best Red Carpet Moments
- WATN: 'Less Than Zero'
- Star Couples Who Went from Friends to Lovers
- The Most Famous Celebrity Pets
- The Hottest Celebrity Halloween Costumes
- WATN: 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'
- Jessica Biel's White Hot Red Carpet Style
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite