Girl crusaders get cold shoulder from Teen Vogue
NEW YORK (AP) -- Two girl crusaders who staged a mock red carpet show against Teen Vogue said their meeting with the magazine's top editor was brief and chilly.
The two met with Editor in Chief Amy Astley for less than five minutes Wednesday, when they delivered a petition bearing more than 28,000 signatures after their Times Square protest near the offices of the magazine.
Astley did not talk to Emma Stydahar, 17, or Carina Cruz, 16, about their request for Teen Vogue to declare in its pages that it doesn't digitally manipulate images. Instead, the girls were given copies of Teen Vogue and told to use them to learn more about the magazine.
"It was kind of shocking how rude they were to us," Carina said in a statement released by their all-girl activist group, SPARK Movement.
The tone was in contrast to a friendly and much longer chat a 14-year-old counterpart, Julia Bluhm, had in May with Seventeen's top editor, Ann Shoket, after she led a mock photo shoot and presented Shoket with a petition making similar requests.
Shoket then promised in the August issue of Seventeen not to alter body shapes in photographs. Emma and Carina had been hoping for the same result.
"We assumed Teen Vogue would also want to hear what their readers think and do everything they can to help girls feel better about themselves and their bodies," Carina said. "Instead, they sat with us for five minutes and told us to do our homework."
Teen Vogue has a circulation of about 1 million, reaching teens and tweens as young as 10.
"We are always open to readers' feedback and were receptive to meeting with Emma and Carina to give them an opportunity to discuss their concerns," the magazine said in a statement Thursday, a day after saying it makes a "conscious and continuous effort to promote a positive body image among our readers."
The magazine added that "we feature dozens of non-models and readers every year and do not retouch them to alter their body size. We will continue to show real girls on the pages of our magazine."
Emma and Carina want Teen Vogue to put that in writing for all readers to see as Shoket did in Seventeen, and to feature "diverse images of real girls and healthy models."
Follow Leanne Italie on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/litalie
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite