Golden Globes: Jodie Foster on 10 of Her Biggest Movies
The Hollywood Reporter -- This story first appeared in the Jan. 18 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
Jodie Foster has garnered so much acclaim at the Golden Globes during her 43-year career, even she was surprised to learn of her tally ("I forgot about being nominated for that!" she laughs about one film). Foster, 50, offers similar candor when sharing the backstories behind some of her most iconic -- and controversial -- movies, both as an actor and a director.
PHOTOS: 20 Golden Moments at the Golden Globes
Freaky Friday, 1977 GLOBE NOM
They nominated me for this because they felt bad for not nominating me for Taxi Driver! [Laughs.] "Now we have to nominate her for something else." I remember having a lot of pimples when I made that movie, which was upsetting. It's the one movie I've made I actually can't watch. Those awkward teenage years: Your nose is big, and you've got pimples. The funny thing about it is, every kid I meet, when I say I was in Freaky Friday, they're like, "Oh, the Lindsay Lohan movie?!" I'm like, "Nooo!"
The Accused, 1989 GLOBE WIN
It was a role everybody was trying to get. They didn't want me because I'd spent five years in college, and the last time people saw me in a film, I was a chubby teenager. I lobbied and read for it. I was 25 or 26 and didn't even read the script more than once or twice before I went in. I knew the director [Jonathan Kaplan] wanted me, but the producers saw my screen test, and they said: "No. But if you change this and this &hellip" and I said, "If you cast me, I can show you that I can do that," which is what happened.
THR COVER: Tina Fey and Amy Poehler on What's Off Limits at the Golden Globes
Little Man Tate, 1991 DIRECTOR/STAR
I wasn't scared at all to get behind the camera for the first time. I was only 27 -- I was so stupid! I should've been a lot more scared. The truth was, I'd been making movies for so long, in front of the camera, it was the best way to really learn how film is made. Also, I liked working with the young actors. With kids, it's just about results. They didn't go to Juilliard; they just want to feel like they're cared for. I think I remembered a bit of the trauma of being a child actor, so I tried to avoid that.
The Silence of the Lambs, 1992 GLOBE WIN
I think all of us -- director Jonathan Demme, DP Tak Fujimoto, composer Howard Shore, Anthony Hopkins and I -- still feel like it's the best work we've ever done. We were scared that we'll never do anything that good again! The book from Thomas Harris was so amazing that the first script that came out of Ted Tally's typewriter was the one that was greenlit.
Home for the Holidays, 1995 DIRECTOR
I felt like getting on bended knee. "Thank you for saying yes!" to Holly Hunter, Robert Downey Jr., Anne Bancroft and Charles Durning for what they brought. It was a difficult time for Robert, but he came through like gangbusters. I always remind him of that. I was never disappointed any day I went to set; he was totally there, and I'm grateful.
STORY: Jodie Foster to Be Honored With Cecil B. DeMille Award at the Golden Globes
Nell, 1995 GLOBE NOM
Stupidly, I wasn't hesitant at all to take on this role, either. I developed it with the producer -- we bought the rights to the play and adapted it -- and then we came up with Nell's language alongside the writer because the play didn't really have that element. It was a life-changing movie for me. Sometimes when I say that it's some of the best work I've ever done, people wince: "Really?" I'm very alone in the film, and that's a theme in my movies.
Contact, 1998 GLOBE NOM
I was nominated for this? I didn't think I was! I love this movie. There are some wonderful ideas here that come right from [author] Carl Sagan. Also, Ellie Arroway is most like me of any person I've ever played -- another solitary person navigating her mind and heart.
The Brave One, 2008 GLOBE NOM
This one shook me up. One thing that made people uncomfortable with it was, it had a strong intellectual side and yet also has a pit-of- your-stomach revenge story. There are those same parts of me: One is very intellectual, and another is completely gut.
STORY: Golden Globes: What You Need to Know About the Film Nominations (Analysis)
The Beaver, 2011 DIRECTOR/STAR
I'd worked with Mel Gibson, so I knew he's a one- or two-take guy. My biggest fear was everybody else's opinions about him. I knew the movie wouldn't be for everybody -- all headlines aside! But I'm really proud of it. Twenty years from now, I hope somebody will pop it into their DVD player and be like, "Wow, why didn't I pay attention to this?"
Carnage, 2012 GLOBE NOM
I loved acting with Kate Winslet, John C. Reilly and Christoph Waltz. The movie wasn't about costumes or CGI. All we had was each other. I've never been this close with actors before. We were always struggling with dialogue because Roman Polanski insisted on doing the movie from beginning to end over and over and over again. On breaks, we hung out in this bedroom and talked about sex and movies that we love. Inevitably, one of us would be falling asleep. It was really great.
Related article on THR.com:
THR Cover: Tina Fey and Amy Poehler Spill Golden Globes Secrets
_ _ _ _
Find more online: THR.com
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Check out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
Florence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Victoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
- Beers With BieberJustin Bieber shares photos of his beer-drinking safari on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Missing Miley?Get the scoop on the newest breakup rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Visiting U.S.Prince Harry is visiting the United States again, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersMiranda Kerr, Katy Perry, and Bjork all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Wants PrivacySelena Gomez doesn't like everyone knowing about her relationship with Justin Bieber, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Baby FaceCheck out the first pic of Malin Akerman's son -- a closeup of his adorable face -- on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite