How the NHL's Lockout Hurts NBC (Analysis)
The Hollywood Reporter -- This story first appeared in the Dec. 21 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
It's sudden death for the players and owners of the National Hockey League, whose talks to end a months-long lockout abruptly broke down Dec. 6 (four days later, the league canceled all games through Dec. 30). Among victims of the debilitating labor stalemate is NBC Sports Group, which signed a 10-year, $1.9 billion rights deal with the NHL in 2011, hoping to cash in on hockey's growing popularity in the U.S.
PHOTOS: 26 of Hollywood's Most Popular Athletes-Turned-Actors
When the Los Angeles Kings won their first Stanley Cup in June, it looked as if the NHL -- a perennial also-ran to the NFL, Major League Baseball and the NBA -- was on the cusp of becoming an American A-list sport (with such Hollywood fans as Matthew Perry, James Gandolfini and Jerry Bruckheimer). Last season's Stanley Cup Playoffs averaged 1.09 million viewers through three rounds on NBC, NBC Sports Network and CNBC -- the most-watched postseason in 15 years -- and the NHL generated estimated ad revenue of $149 million from NBC Sports Net and NBC in 2011-12, according to Kantar Media. That was a nearly 50 percent increase compared with the previous season's $101 million and almost double what the league generated from ads during the 2009-10 season.
If the 2012-13 season is scrapped, then NBC won't pay a rights fee this year and will add a year to its contract. But the NHL deal is a pillar of its nascent sports network, and a repeat of the canceled 2004-05 season could seriously damage the pro hockey brand. "I wouldn't be surprised if NBC has stuck their head into [lockout] negotiations," says Patrick Rishe, director of sports market research firm Sportsimpacts. The longer the sides remain at loggerheads over how to share revenue, the more damage to NBC.
"If the lockout goes for a week or a month, fans stay interested. But if it's longer, and watching the NHL stops being a habit, then the NHL is in trouble," says Kenneth Wong, a marketing professor at Queen's University in Ontario.
STORY: NHL Lockout Has Kraft Canada Shifting TV Ad Dollars to Junior Hockey
NBC Sports Net has filled schedule holes with college hockey, boxing, soccer and college basketball. In Canada, the CBC network stands to lose an estimated $180 million in ad revenue if the NHL season is axed.
Still, while damage to the NHL brand could be hard to fix, other leagues -- like the NBA last season -- have returned from labor strife to strong ratings. "Hockey fans are die-hards," says Rishe. "As long as the NHL comes back, the damage will be minimal."
Related article on THR.com:
NHL Cancels Another 104 Hockey Games Through December 30
_ _ _ _
Find more online: THR.com
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Brad Pitt's Changing Looks
- Hollywood's Hottest Dads
- Mark Wahlberg's Shirtless Looks
- Prince William & Duchess Kate's Cutest Couple Moments
- Stars with tattoos of other celebs
- Brooke Shields' Changing Looks
- Carrie Underwood's Evolving Looks
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Cast Yearbook Photos
- Worst Celeb Sunburns
- Celeb Twins
- Celebs Who Work Out on the Beach
- Country Music's Hottest Couples
- Worst spring wardrobes
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Romance Retro
- WATN: 'Boy Meets World'
- Tim McGraw's changing looks
- Craziest Kim Kardashian pregnancy rumors
- Celebs Who Look Like Their Pets
- Mariah & Nick's Matching Style
- Hollywood's Tomboys
- The Royal Couple's Favorite Sports
- Kim Kardashian's Curvy Maternity Style
- WATN: 'Jurassic Park'
- January Jones' Retro Looks
- The Rock's Soft Side
- WATN: 'Veronica Mars'
- WATN: 'Beetlejuice'
- Fergie's Changing Looks
- Star Twitter Quitters
- Hollywood's Hottest Ryans
- Insured Celebrity Body Parts
- Most Expensive Celeb Engagement Rings
- Sweetest Celeb PDA
- Kim Kardashian's Tightest Looks
- Olivia Wilde's Best Street Style
- Justin Timberlake's Many Looks
- Hottest Royal Beach Bodies
- Celebrity Pets with Famous Names
- Michelle Williams' Best Fashion Moments
- Lindsay Lohan's Changing Looks
- Justin Bieber's Changing Hair
- Most Awkward People on the Red Carpet
- WATN: '7th Heaven'
- Ke$ha's Worst Looks
- Worst Oscar Fashion
- George Clooney's Oscar Dates
- Most Embarrassing Celeb Splits
- Stars Before They Were Oscar Nominees
- Jennifer Lawrence's Best Fashion Moments
- Rihanna's Sexiest Grammy Style
- Drew Barrymore's Craziest Looks
- Jennifer Aniston's Changing Looks
- Worst Dressed Celeb Designers
- Anne Hathaway's Oscar Looks
- Grammy's Hottest Couples
- Taylor Swift's Best Grammy Fashion
- WATN: 'Wonder Years'
- Destiny's Child's Most Iconic Looks
- Best Off-Season Bikini Bods
- Emma Stone's Best Red-Carpet Looks
- Celeb Flashers
- Mariah Carey's Biggest Feuds
- Mariah Carey's Wacky Wardrobe
- Britney Spears' Wackiest Red Carpet Poses
- Celeb Makeup Mistakes
- Ryan Gosling's Leading Ladies
- Nicole Kidman's Golden Globe Fashion
- Katy Perry's Year as a Single Gal
- Celebs Who've Removed Romantic Tattoos
- Most Memorable Celeb Holiday Cards
- Five of the Worst Celeb Winter Wardrobes
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Romance Retro
- Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
- Christina Aguilera's Worst Looks
- 2012's One Hit Wonders
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Best and Worst Beach Bodies of 2012
- 2012 Fashion Don'ts
- Craziest Beauty Trends of 2012
- Celebs Who Survived Cheating Scandals
- The Turkeys of 2012
- Kristen Stewart's Best Red Carpet Moments
- WATN: 'Less Than Zero'
- Star Couples Who Went from Friends to Lovers
- The Most Famous Celebrity Pets
- The Hottest Celebrity Halloween Costumes
- WATN: 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'
- Jessica Biel's White Hot Red Carpet Style
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite