'Justified' Season 4: TV Review
The Hollywood Reporter -- Watching the first episode of FX's Justified, season four, this feeling washes over you: God, this is such a well-written show. After the second episode, it's this feeling: Man, it's easy to forget exactly how great this series is.
Both are true. And it's probably a testament to how many truly top-tier dramas are out there that Justified can't seem to get the awards respect it deserves for series, writing, the acting of Timothy Olyphant (as Raylan Givens), Walton Goggins (as Boyd Crowder) and others.
PHOTOS: Cowboys and Bad Guys on the Set of 'Justified'
In the first two episodes of season four, the only ones sent to critics, Justified returns with such a familiar resonance of greatness that you can't help but feel a little sorry for maybe having it lower on your best-of list or wonder if the urgency used in stuffing copies into friends' hands was fast enough, etc. There's an effortless to the show that allows some of us -- apologies to creator Graham Yost -- to maybe take it a tiny bit for granted.
Tuesday night's premiere reiterates everything above and, more important, illuminates something very small but important: Because there won't be an emphasis on major guest stars as antagonists like there was in previous seasons, the show looks to be settling into letting more dialogue flow between viewers' favorite characters, instead of having to parse up those fantastic phrases between multiple characters.
Although the two episodes didn't indicate that the last nagging flaw of the show -- deepening the roles of Rachel (Erica Tazel) and Tim (Jacob Pitts) -- had been substantially addressed, there's an interesting comment from Art (Nick Searcy) about character flaws of each that might indicate future exploration. Oh, and Searcy tears the cover off the ball every time he's allowed to hit. And in a few brief but sparkling scenes, Joelle Carter as Ava proves again how much magic she can work with a couple of paragraphs.
PHOTOS: Midseason 2013: TV's Newest Series
There is an outsider who comes into Harlan -- a staple of the show, but it's unlikely to be those huge, bit-actor arcs that have guided previous season. Instead, the writers focus on the home team.
All of this bodes well, and who knows what's around the corner because other staples – Wynn Duffy! – make appearances. And the dialogue remains as pin-prick sharp as usual, with that clever mix of directness and humor:
Art: “Raylan, on a scale from one to a shitload, how much do you need to tell me right now?”
Tim, reading the rap sheet of a particularly dangerous family and urging Art not to go on the raid with them: “Hell, their dog's in the pound.”
Boyd: “But you can trust me.”
Wynn: “But I don't trust the way you just said you can trust me.”
Only a small number of series have a sense of place as keen as Justified, and that same small number of series can count an abundance of pitch-perfect characters like Raylan and Boyd.
It's such a welcome sight (and sound) to have them back again. I'm going to make a note not to take them (or the writing) for granted anymore.
Related article on THR.com:
Showrunners 2012: 'Justified's' Graham Yost
_ _ _ _
Find more online: THR.com
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
Khloe Kardashian showed off her svelte figure, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Kourtney Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens and Tara Reid all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Gwyneth Paltrow works out for two hours a day, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Who Am I?
Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- Chief BeefKaty Perry incites a Twitter feud with a 17-year-old rapper. Get the dirty details on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Fashion BluesKourtney Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens and Tara Reid all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Fights & FeudsGet the scoop on some of the most recent Hollywood feuds on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Svelte BodKhloe Kardashian showed off her svelte figure, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Last TripGet the scoop on Kim’s final pre-baby Parisian getaway on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Magic LoveThe stars of "Now You See Me" chat learning magic tricks and experiencing the real deal.Watch Video »
- Workout ObsessedGwyneth Paltrow works out for two hours a day, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite