Kanye West’s Hit List: MTV, Taylor Swift, ‘Suit & Tie,’ and 8 Other Things That Make Him Mad
Stop sipping on that haterade, Kanye West!
Over the years, the rapper has professed his dislike of a multitude of things and people, including Taylor Swift, George Bush, and the Grammy Awards. And on Tuesday, he added a few more names to that list.
During an interview with New York City’s Hot 97 radio station, West blasted MTV after the network ranked him No. 7 on its Hottest MC List, putting him behind Drake and Big Sean. Even though the list is completely arbitrary and means nothing in the real world, West was irked.
“Yeah, number seven bothers me,” he began. “I feel like for them to put me at number seven, they had to bring up things they didn’t like,” for example his critically panned 2012 Cruel Summer album. After rattling off some of the songs on it he considered hits, West added, “You can’t name five records like that on an album.”
In typical fashion, he then went on a rambling, often confusing tirade. “What happens with these type of judges and the people that review it, when I come in and I have the pink Polo and the backpack, then I’m checking all the boxes of that A Tribe Called Quest era and J Dilla all that, so they want to champion it,” West continued. “They don’t like Givenchy Kanye. They don’t like Kanye in a kilt, they don’t like Kanye in a relationship.”
If railing on MTV wasn’t enough, he then struck out against one of the network’s VJs, Sway. “I can’t believe it,” said West. “I gave Sway his first TV. Really, I didn’t really want to call and talk about the No. 7 list, I just wanted to tell everyone I gave Sway his first TV. And he needs to remember that” – and at that, West hung up the phone.
MTV and Sway join an elite group of people that have drawn the ire of West, including:
Taylor Swift: Sure, he interrupted the singer as she accepted the award for Best Female Video at the 2009 VMAs to tell the world that Beyonce “had one of the best videos of all time.” But as recently as late February, the rapper once again compared Swift to Bey, this time during a concert in London. “Taylor Swift beat Beyoncé at the Grammys?” he bellowed into the mic … even though the two stars were not even nominated in the same category. “Beyoncé be dancing in heels and s**t.”
Jay-Z and Justin Timberlake: During that same concert, West also took aim at Beyonce’s husband (and his Watch the Throne collaborator) and his new pop song with Timberlake. “And I got love for Hov but I ain’t f***ing with that ‘Suit & Tie.’”
strong>President Obama After West “Kanye’d” Swift at the VMAs, the POTUS called the rapper a “jackass” – and more than three years later, he responded at the same London concert. “I don’t give a f**k what the president say!” he screamed before returning to his set list.
Grammys: Even though West was nominated for six Grammys this year (and he won three), he still decided he was not going to attend the ceremony. “The Grammys can suck my d***," he claimed during his recent London rant.
Business People: His girlfriend and baby-mama, Kim Kardashian, may be one of the biggest celebs to slap her name on every product imaginable, but that doesn’t mean West likes it. “I hate business people,” he said in late February. “People get on the phone with me and tell me, 'What kind of business can you do, though? What type of business are you doing? What's the numbers? How much did you sell? What's the radio spins? How much shampoo can you sell with your face on it and s**t?' ... Since when was making art about getting rich?”
George W. Bush During a live telethon to benefit the victims of Hurricane Katrina, the rapper went rogue while presenting with Mike Myers. Instead of reading off the Teleprompter, West stated, “I hate the way they portray us in the media. If you see a black family it says they are looting if you see a white family it says they are looking for food.” Then, as the “SNL” alum looked on in horror, West concluded with, “George Bush doesn't care about black people!"
Lower Case Letters: Ever take a look at West’s Twitter timeline? He doesn’t tweet often, but when he does, the caps lock is always on. Same for his now-defunct blog. In 2008, after West was hours late for his Bonnaroo gig – and naturally, fans were super p-o’d – he let them have it … IN ALL CAPS. Claiming he was typing so furiously he might break his “Mac book Air!!!!!!!,” he continued, “NEVER SAY I DIDN’T GIVE MY ALL! NEVER SAY I DIDN’T GIVE MY ALL! THIS SHOWS NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY TO BE GOOD AT SOMETHING THERE WILL BE PEOPLE THERE TO LIE ABOUT YOU AND BRING YOU DOWN!”
Bonnaroo Festival In the same online rant, West called out the music festival’s organizers for scheduling his set during the day when he planned to incorporate a light show into his performance. And again, the caps lock was on, well, lock. “THEY TRIED 2 GIVE ME A TIME SLOT WERE IT WAS STILL LIGHT OUTSIDE … I HAVE A F**KING LIGHT SHOW DUMB ASS, IT’S NOT CALLED GLOW IN THE DARK FOR NO REASON SQUID BRAINS!”
Matt Lauer In 2010, West was set to perform on “Today” the day after Thanksgiving, but pulled out at the last second after the show’s host cued up a clip of George Bush claiming West’s “George Bush doesn’t care about black people” rant was his lowest point in the White House. "I didn't need you guys to show me the tape in order to prompt my emotions or whatever," West told Lauer during the pre-performance interview portion. "I don't need all the jazz ... Can we be quiet for a second?" Lauer went on to switch to another clip … this one of the 2009 VMAs incident with Swift. "Yo, how am I supposed to talk if you're going to run the thing in the middle while I'm talking?"
Justice and MTV EMAs: Before Taylor Swift got interrupted at the VMAs, the French electronic music duo Justice was on the receiving end of West’s bad sportsmanship. At the 2006 MTV Europe Music Awards, the rapper stormed the stage after he lost the Best Video Award for “Touch the Sky” to the group. “[My video] cost a million dollars,” West argued into the microphone. “Pamela Anderson was in it! I was jumping across canyons and s**t.” Afterward he warned a MTV Europe VJ that the network better not erase that moment from the telecast. "I just went up there and I talked my s**t onstage,” said West, who admitted to drinking beforehand. “Just as long as they don't edit my part, I'll be good."
More Celebrity Features On Yahoo!:
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Kanye West's Hit List: MTV, Taylor Swift, ‘Suit & Tie,' and 8 Other Things That Make Him Mad
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Magic LoveThe stars of "Now You See Me" chat learning magic tricks and experiencing the real deal.Watch Video »
- Workout ObsessedGwyneth Paltrow works out for two hours a day, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite