Kelly Rutherford Sobs Over Being Separated From Her Children
Kelly Rutherford will stop at nothing to ensure her two children with ex-husband Daniel Giersch return to the United States.
The Gossip Girl actress, 44, appeared on the Nov. 16 episode of NBC's Dateline to discuss the current state of her custody dispute with the self-made millionaire. Because Giersch's visa has been revoked, an L.A. judge ruled that Hermes, 5, and Helena, 3, must live in France with their father for the foreseeable future.
"Why would you take the kids away from their mother, out of their school, away from their friends and everything they've known, and plant them somewhere else?" asked Rutherford, who is based in New York City. "It's hard to even believe it's real."
The judge stipulated that Giersch must provide Rutherford with plane tickets, a car and a place to stay in France. "I was on a plane three weekends a month," the actress said. "I'm being punished for being a good mother and taking care of my children, and he's being rewarded for having his visa revoked. Our kids are U.S. citizens and they have a right to be raised in the U.S."
The actress openly sobbed during the interview. "It's crazy. It's like, what matters other than your babies? Nothing. What matters is that your babies are okay."
Rutherford and Giersch split in 2009 while the star was still pregnant with Helena; the German entrepreneur later claimed that he only learned of his daughter's birth via the tabloids. "The truth is he knew that I was in labor and I was at the hospital. I just didn't want him right there because it was very painful," explained Rutherford, who acknowledged that she did not put his name on Helena's birth certificate. "I was very, very hurt."
Giersch also accused his ex-wife of trying to alienate their children from him. "It's like someone declared war," Rutherford said.
Though Giersch's attorney would not comment on the status of his visa, he expressed concern over Rutherford's "aggressive public relations approach" and said his client's children "are happy and thriving."
Because the U.S. State Department does not release information regarding revoked visas, Rutherford must simply wait for Giersch to get it restored. "How do you take two young citizens, little kids, out of the country, away from their mother because the father's visa was revoked?" she asked. "I would think that their rights were being violated."
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Kelly Rutherford Sobs Over Being Separated From Her Children
- Brad Pitt's Changing Looks
- Hollywood's Hottest Dads
- Mark Wahlberg's Shirtless Looks
- Prince William & Duchess Kate's Cutest Couple Moments
- Stars with tattoos of other celebs
- Brooke Shields' Changing Looks
- Carrie Underwood's Evolving Looks
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Cast Yearbook Photos
- Worst Celeb Sunburns
- Celeb Twins
- Celebs Who Work Out on the Beach
- Country Music's Hottest Couples
- Worst spring wardrobes
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Romance Retro
- WATN: 'Boy Meets World'
- Tim McGraw's changing looks
- Craziest Kim Kardashian pregnancy rumors
- Celebs Who Look Like Their Pets
- Mariah & Nick's Matching Style
- Hollywood's Tomboys
- The Royal Couple's Favorite Sports
- Kim Kardashian's Curvy Maternity Style
- WATN: 'Jurassic Park'
- January Jones' Retro Looks
- The Rock's Soft Side
- WATN: 'Veronica Mars'
- WATN: 'Beetlejuice'
- Fergie's Changing Looks
- Star Twitter Quitters
- Hollywood's Hottest Ryans
- Insured Celebrity Body Parts
- Most Expensive Celeb Engagement Rings
- Sweetest Celeb PDA
- Kim Kardashian's Tightest Looks
- Olivia Wilde's Best Street Style
- Justin Timberlake's Many Looks
- Hottest Royal Beach Bodies
- Celebrity Pets with Famous Names
- Michelle Williams' Best Fashion Moments
- Lindsay Lohan's Changing Looks
- Justin Bieber's Changing Hair
- Most Awkward People on the Red Carpet
- WATN: '7th Heaven'
- Ke$ha's Worst Looks
- Worst Oscar Fashion
- George Clooney's Oscar Dates
- Most Embarrassing Celeb Splits
- Stars Before They Were Oscar Nominees
- Jennifer Lawrence's Best Fashion Moments
- Rihanna's Sexiest Grammy Style
- Drew Barrymore's Craziest Looks
- Jennifer Aniston's Changing Looks
- Worst Dressed Celeb Designers
- Anne Hathaway's Oscar Looks
- Grammy's Hottest Couples
- Taylor Swift's Best Grammy Fashion
- WATN: 'Wonder Years'
- Destiny's Child's Most Iconic Looks
- Best Off-Season Bikini Bods
- Emma Stone's Best Red-Carpet Looks
- Celeb Flashers
- Mariah Carey's Biggest Feuds
- Mariah Carey's Wacky Wardrobe
- Britney Spears' Wackiest Red Carpet Poses
- Celeb Makeup Mistakes
- Ryan Gosling's Leading Ladies
- Nicole Kidman's Golden Globe Fashion
- Katy Perry's Year as a Single Gal
- Celebs Who've Removed Romantic Tattoos
- Most Memorable Celeb Holiday Cards
- Five of the Worst Celeb Winter Wardrobes
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Romance Retro
- Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
- Christina Aguilera's Worst Looks
- 2012's One Hit Wonders
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Best and Worst Beach Bodies of 2012
- 2012 Fashion Don'ts
- Craziest Beauty Trends of 2012
- Celebs Who Survived Cheating Scandals
- The Turkeys of 2012
- Kristen Stewart's Best Red Carpet Moments
- WATN: 'Less Than Zero'
- Star Couples Who Went from Friends to Lovers
- The Most Famous Celebrity Pets
- The Hottest Celebrity Halloween Costumes
- WATN: 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'
- Jessica Biel's White Hot Red Carpet Style
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite