Magazine editor defends decision to publish photos of Duchess Kate's baby bump
- Photo: Chi magazine/Promotional1 of 15
- Photo: Rex USA2 of 15
- Photo: NPG/Rex USA3 of 15
- Photo: Rex USA4 of 15
- Photo: Rex USA5 of 15
- Photo: Nicolas Asfouri/Invision/AP6 of 15
- Photo: Rick Rycroft/Invision/AP7 of 15
- Photo: Vincent Thian/Invision/AP8 of 15
- Photo: NICOLAS ASFOURI/Invision/AP9 of 15
- Photo: Stephen Morrison/Pool/Invision/AP10 of 15
- Photo: Beretta/Sims/Rex / Rex USA/Wonderwall11 of 15
- Photo: BBC/.12 of 15
- Photo: WENN13 of 15
- Photo: Fame Flynet14 of 15
More Celeb News
- 'Hunger Games: Catching Fire' Sells 3.9 Million Discs, Digital Sales Soar 40%MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 5:56:00 AM
- Cate Blanchett Was Right: Women Making Little-to-No Progress in Landing Major Movie RolesMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 12:01:00 AM
- President Obama to Appear on Zach Galifianakis' 'Between Two Ferns'MSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 9:11:00 PM
- Oscar Winner '12 Years a Slave' Spikes 75% at Overseas Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 8:59:00 PM
- Trophy Wife's Wedding Spectacular Promises Flashbacks and The MuppetsMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 6:29:00 PM
- 'Hunger Games: Catching Fire' Sells 3.9 Million Discs, Digital Sales Soar 40%
Officials at St. James's Palace lashed out at Chi magazine on Tuesday after learning that it planned to publish photos showing the pregnant Duchess of Cambridge in a bikini while vacationing in the Caribbean.
Calling the move a "clear breach of the couple's right to privacy," the palace slammed the Italian magazine for banking on the publicity of Duchess Kate's previously unseen baby bump.
But the magazine went on sale as scheduled on Wednesday, and photos of the duchess walking with her husband, Prince William, on the beach on the island of Mustique were included in the cover montage.
The cover comes less than a year after the royal couple sued the French magazine Closer (part of the same media group as Chi) for publishing topless photos of Duchess Kate, shot in the South of France.
RELATED: Best and worst beach bods
And though a court found in favor of the royal couple in that lawsuit, Chi editor Alfonso Signorini is defending his decision to run the images.
According to the International Business Times, Signorini told the Italian website Corriere, "This seems to me to be an over-the-top reaction. We have published photos shot in a public place on a beach amidst other bathers. There was no invasion of privacy. The English press is much worse."
He also spoke to the BBC, insisting that the pictures are "of such unexceptional normality that there is only limited mention of them on the cover of the magazine.
"The photographs, which can in no way be considered scandalous, were bought from an international photo agency. [They] do not harm the image of the protagonists and the reaction of the media seems wholly over the top," he continued.
RELATED: BING: Unusual pregnancy cravings
"It is also true that the Italian press is not a party to the gentlemen's agreement between the British press and Buckingham Palace.
"What our readers will see is simply a moment of joyful relaxation being enjoyed by a smiling, happy couple. Where's the scandal in that?"
Meanwhile, editors at the Australian magazine Woman's Day have announced plans to publish the photos.
RELATED: Will and Kate's cutest moments
British talk show "This Morning" has apologized to the palace after accidentally flashing the magazine's photos on the screen during a recent segment.
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
Nicole Richie debuts a lavender hair color on Instagram on Celebs Gone Social. What does Kelly Osbourne have to do with it?Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite