Magazine editor defends decision to publish photos of Duchess Kate's baby bump
- Photo: Chi magazine/Promotional1 of 15
- Photo: Rex USA2 of 15
- Photo: NPG/Rex USA3 of 15
- Photo: Rex USA4 of 15
- Photo: Rex USA5 of 15
- Photo: Nicolas Asfouri/Invision/AP6 of 15
- Photo: Rick Rycroft/Invision/AP7 of 15
- Photo: Vincent Thian/Invision/AP8 of 15
- Photo: NICOLAS ASFOURI/Invision/AP9 of 15
- Photo: Stephen Morrison/Pool/Invision/AP10 of 15
- Photo: Beretta/Sims/Rex / Rex USA/Wonderwall11 of 15
- Photo: BBC/.12 of 15
- Photo: WENN13 of 15
- Photo: Fame Flynet14 of 15
More Celeb News
- Comic Book Overload: Why TV Has Gone to the SuperheroesMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 7:09:00 AM
- Paula Deen Returns to 'Today' Show After N-Word Fiasco to Apologize and Make Some MSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 7:06:00 AM
- 'Black-ish' Creator Goes for Specific Stereotypes While Telling a Universal StoryMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 7:00:00 AM
- 'NCIS: New Orleans' EP on Saturating Market With Too Many Spinoffs: 'TherMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 7:00:00 AM
- Top Chef Winner Ilan Hall Gets Down and Dirty on Knife FightMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 4:15:00 AM
- Comic Book Overload: Why TV Has Gone to the Superheroes
Officials at St. James's Palace lashed out at Chi magazine on Tuesday after learning that it planned to publish photos showing the pregnant Duchess of Cambridge in a bikini while vacationing in the Caribbean.
Calling the move a "clear breach of the couple's right to privacy," the palace slammed the Italian magazine for banking on the publicity of Duchess Kate's previously unseen baby bump.
But the magazine went on sale as scheduled on Wednesday, and photos of the duchess walking with her husband, Prince William, on the beach on the island of Mustique were included in the cover montage.
The cover comes less than a year after the royal couple sued the French magazine Closer (part of the same media group as Chi) for publishing topless photos of Duchess Kate, shot in the South of France.
RELATED: Best and worst beach bods
And though a court found in favor of the royal couple in that lawsuit, Chi editor Alfonso Signorini is defending his decision to run the images.
According to the International Business Times, Signorini told the Italian website Corriere, "This seems to me to be an over-the-top reaction. We have published photos shot in a public place on a beach amidst other bathers. There was no invasion of privacy. The English press is much worse."
He also spoke to the BBC, insisting that the pictures are "of such unexceptional normality that there is only limited mention of them on the cover of the magazine.
"The photographs, which can in no way be considered scandalous, were bought from an international photo agency. [They] do not harm the image of the protagonists and the reaction of the media seems wholly over the top," he continued.
RELATED: BING: Unusual pregnancy cravings
"It is also true that the Italian press is not a party to the gentlemen's agreement between the British press and Buckingham Palace.
"What our readers will see is simply a moment of joyful relaxation being enjoyed by a smiling, happy couple. Where's the scandal in that?"
Meanwhile, editors at the Australian magazine Woman's Day have announced plans to publish the photos.
RELATED: Will and Kate's cutest moments
British talk show "This Morning" has apologized to the palace after accidentally flashing the magazine's photos on the screen during a recent segment.
Get out the vote
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See how Kate Hudson embraces Instagram on Celebs Gone SocialWatch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Britney's new bachelorette status on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTInspiring Hubby!
From Crowd Ignite