Minka Kelly: I Had 'Pretty Complicated' Relationship With Stripper Mom
- Photo: Richie Buxo/Splash News1 of 16
- Photo: Wylde/Splash News2 of 16
- Photo: Jason Webber / Splash News/Splash News3 of 16
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage.com4 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com5 of 16
- Photo: PPNY / GSNY / Splash News/Splash News6 of 16
- Photo: Jason Webber / Splash News/Splash News7 of 16
- Photo: CS5/WENN8 of 16
- Photo: VPC/WENN9 of 16
- Photo: Starbux/WENN10 of 16
- Photo: NP2/WENN11 of 16
- Photo: Rachid Ait/PacificCoastNews.com12 of 16
- Photo: Brabus/Pacific Coast News13 of 16
- Photo: GERALLT/Bauer-Griffin14 of 16
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage.com15 of 16
More Celeb News
- CBS Inks Deal for Tony Awards Through 2018MSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 7:00:03 AM
- Cannes: Lionsgate Nabs U.S. Rights to Clive Owen Crime DramaMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 6:47:17 AM
- Jon Stewart: Is Mayor Rob Ford Smoking Crack to Clean Up Toronto? (Video)MSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 6:39:01 AM
- 'Man of Steel' Trailer: General Zod Warns Earthlings to Surrender SupermanMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 6:25:07 AM
- 'Big Bang Theory,' 'American Horror Story' Lead Critics&aposMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 6:00:16 AM
- CBS Inks Deal for Tony Awards Through 2018
Mom doesn't always know best.
In Minka Kelly's case, she often had to be the responsible one growing up. In the October issue of Cosmopolitan magazine (as excerpted by the Daily Mail) Derek Jeter's 31-year-old ex-girlfriend opens up about the "pretty complicated" relationship she had with her stripper mother, Maureen Kelly, prior to her death in 2008.
"She was 5'11"," the Charlie's Angels star explains. "Legs up to her ears, gorgeous. She got along on that for as long as she could."
Kelly says her mother would sometimes wake her up in the middle of the night when she got home from working at the strip club. The mother-daughter duo would then go to the supermarket shopping. "That was like our big Friday," she recalls. "She would want me to skip school. ...I was like 'No, Mom, I've gotta go to school!'"
Kelly's mother chose to raise her daughter as a single parent. The actress' father, onetime Aerosmith guitarist Rick Dufay, "wanted to try the family thing," but Kelly says her mom "was too busy having fun."
"It wasn't like he didn't want to be part of our lives," the Friday Night Lights star adds.
"I didn't know how to appreciate what good friends we were," Kelly admits. "Because I just wanted her to be my mom."
Sadly, three years ago, Kelly's mother died of colon cancer. "That's detectable," Kelly says. "Talk about being reckless and not paying attention to your body."
Fortunately, the two made peace with one another before it was too late. "By the time she passed I was holding her," Kelly says. "I was with her until her last breath. We made it."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Who Am I?
Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite