Minka Kelly: I Had 'Pretty Complicated' Relationship With Stripper Mom
- Photo: Richie Buxo/Splash News1 of 16
- Photo: Wylde/Splash News2 of 16
- Photo: Jason Webber / Splash News/Splash News3 of 16
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage.com4 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com5 of 16
- Photo: PPNY / GSNY / Splash News/Splash News6 of 16
- Photo: Jason Webber / Splash News/Splash News7 of 16
- Photo: CS5/WENN8 of 16
- Photo: VPC/WENN9 of 16
- Photo: Starbux/WENN10 of 16
- Photo: NP2/WENN11 of 16
- Photo: Rachid Ait/PacificCoastNews.com12 of 16
- Photo: Brabus/Pacific Coast News13 of 16
- Photo: GERALLT/Bauer-Griffin14 of 16
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage.com15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 'The Real' Draws Weak Premiere RatingsMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Arianna Huffington on HuffPost's Upcoming Middle East Edition, Doc Ambitions and 115 MillioMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Matthew McConaughey Braves Blizzards in Latest 'Interstellar' Poster (Photo)MSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 3:27:00 PM
- Mega Buzz: A Once Couple, Sleepy Hollow's New Threat, and an SVU RomanceMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 3:16:00 PM
- 'Halt and Catch Fire's' Mackenzie Davis to Join Matt Damon in Ridley ScotMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 3:12:00 PM
- 'The Real' Draws Weak Premiere Ratings
Mom doesn't always know best.
In Minka Kelly's case, she often had to be the responsible one growing up. In the October issue of Cosmopolitan magazine (as excerpted by the Daily Mail) Derek Jeter's 31-year-old ex-girlfriend opens up about the "pretty complicated" relationship she had with her stripper mother, Maureen Kelly, prior to her death in 2008.
"She was 5'11"," the Charlie's Angels star explains. "Legs up to her ears, gorgeous. She got along on that for as long as she could."
Kelly says her mother would sometimes wake her up in the middle of the night when she got home from working at the strip club. The mother-daughter duo would then go to the supermarket shopping. "That was like our big Friday," she recalls. "She would want me to skip school. ...I was like 'No, Mom, I've gotta go to school!'"
Kelly's mother chose to raise her daughter as a single parent. The actress' father, onetime Aerosmith guitarist Rick Dufay, "wanted to try the family thing," but Kelly says her mom "was too busy having fun."
"It wasn't like he didn't want to be part of our lives," the Friday Night Lights star adds.
"I didn't know how to appreciate what good friends we were," Kelly admits. "Because I just wanted her to be my mom."
Sadly, three years ago, Kelly's mother died of colon cancer. "That's detectable," Kelly says. "Talk about being reckless and not paying attention to your body."
Fortunately, the two made peace with one another before it was too late. "By the time she passed I was holding her," Kelly says. "I was with her until her last breath. We made it."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian cuddles a koala, plus more stars share their photos from adventures abroad on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See what the cast of "Saved by the Bell" is up to today.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite