Minka Kelly: I Had 'Pretty Complicated' Relationship With Stripper Mom
- Photo: Richie Buxo/Splash News1 of 16
- Photo: Wylde/Splash News2 of 16
- Photo: Jason Webber / Splash News/Splash News3 of 16
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage.com4 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com5 of 16
- Photo: PPNY / GSNY / Splash News/Splash News6 of 16
- Photo: Jason Webber / Splash News/Splash News7 of 16
- Photo: CS5/WENN8 of 16
- Photo: VPC/WENN9 of 16
- Photo: Starbux/WENN10 of 16
- Photo: NP2/WENN11 of 16
- Photo: Rachid Ait/PacificCoastNews.com12 of 16
- Photo: Brabus/Pacific Coast News13 of 16
- Photo: GERALLT/Bauer-Griffin14 of 16
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage.com15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Rooney Mara in Negotiations to Play Tiger Lily in Warner Bros.' 'Pan'MSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 11:40:00 AM
- 'Mad Men's' Matthew Weiner Q&A: Are We Over-Analyzing TV?MSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 11:25:00 AM
- Sony Overhauls 'Smurfs' Franchise, Plans 'Popeye' MovieMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 10:20:00 AM
- Body of Proof's Nic Bishop Joins Covert AffairsMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 10:18:00 AM
- CBS Renews The Big Bang Theory for Three More SeasonsMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 9:58:00 AM
- Rooney Mara in Negotiations to Play Tiger Lily in Warner Bros.' 'Pan'
Mom doesn't always know best.
In Minka Kelly's case, she often had to be the responsible one growing up. In the October issue of Cosmopolitan magazine (as excerpted by the Daily Mail) Derek Jeter's 31-year-old ex-girlfriend opens up about the "pretty complicated" relationship she had with her stripper mother, Maureen Kelly, prior to her death in 2008.
"She was 5'11"," the Charlie's Angels star explains. "Legs up to her ears, gorgeous. She got along on that for as long as she could."
Kelly says her mother would sometimes wake her up in the middle of the night when she got home from working at the strip club. The mother-daughter duo would then go to the supermarket shopping. "That was like our big Friday," she recalls. "She would want me to skip school. ...I was like 'No, Mom, I've gotta go to school!'"
Kelly's mother chose to raise her daughter as a single parent. The actress' father, onetime Aerosmith guitarist Rick Dufay, "wanted to try the family thing," but Kelly says her mom "was too busy having fun."
"It wasn't like he didn't want to be part of our lives," the Friday Night Lights star adds.
"I didn't know how to appreciate what good friends we were," Kelly admits. "Because I just wanted her to be my mom."
Sadly, three years ago, Kelly's mother died of colon cancer. "That's detectable," Kelly says. "Talk about being reckless and not paying attention to your body."
Fortunately, the two made peace with one another before it was too late. "By the time she passed I was holding her," Kelly says. "I was with her until her last breath. We made it."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Check out Sandra Bullock's fabulous and colorful style.Watch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Channing Tatum to Jennifer Lawrence, see which celebs got their start modeling.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite