Naomi Campbell wins libel case over elephant polo
- Photo: LTA/WENN1 of 18
- Photo: Camera Press/Retna Ltd.2 of 18
- Photo: Brian To/WENN3 of 18
- Photo: Tony Clark/WENN4 of 18
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN5 of 18
- Photo: HBE/HSS/WENN6 of 18
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com7 of 18
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage8 of 18
- Photo: L. Busacca/WireImage9 of 18
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage10 of 18
- Photo: Gina James/Retna Ltd.11 of 18
- Photo: Gtres/Fame Flynet12 of 18
- Photo: BRJ/Fame Flynet13 of 18
- Photo: OHPIX/Bauer-Griffin14 of 18
- Photo: Paul Hurschmann/AP/Camera Press/Retna Ltd.15 of 18
- Photo: BG/Bauer-Griffin16 of 18
- Photo: ecorazzi.com/.17 of 18
More Celeb News
- Box Office: Lucy Tops HerculesMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 3:13:00 PM
- 'Godzilla' Storms Japan but 'Dawn of the Planet of Apes' Rules WMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 12:47:00 PM
- 'Following' Producers, Stars Reveal Alternate Season 2 Ending, Preview 'RMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 12:46:00 PM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 3:17 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 12:17:05 PM
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the fantasyMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 12:16:57 PM
- Box Office: Lucy Tops Hercules
LONDON (AP) — Model Naomi Campbell accepted libel damages Thursday from a British newspaper over a story that falsely claimed she was planning an elephant polo match in India for her partner's birthday.
RELATED: The biggest celeb makeup mistakes
The November article in the Daily Telegraph said Campbell was going to organize the tournament in Jodhpur for partner Vladislav Doronin's 50th birthday. The article included criticisms from animal-welfare activists.
Campbell's lawyer Gideon Benaim told a judge at London's High Court that the story was "simply false and the criticisms unfounded."
He said the article was widely republished in the Indian press and elsewhere, including over the Internet, "attracting a storm of adverse publicity against Ms. Campbell."
RELATED: The most risque outfits ever
Julia Varley, lawyer for the Daily Telegraph's publisher, told the court the newspaper regretted running the article.
The 42-year-old model said in a statement that the allegations should never have been published. But she said she was "glad that the matter has been resolved and I accept the newspaper's apology."
The amount of the damages, described as "substantial," was not disclosed.
RELATED: January's fashion hits and misses
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Beyonce to Jennifer Lopez, see how these stars keep their figures trim.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSexy Sweeties
From Crowd Ignite