Naomi Campbell wins libel case over elephant polo
- Photo: LTA/WENN1 of 18
- Photo: Camera Press/Retna Ltd.2 of 18
- Photo: Brian To/WENN3 of 18
- Photo: Tony Clark/WENN4 of 18
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN5 of 18
- Photo: HBE/HSS/WENN6 of 18
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com7 of 18
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage8 of 18
- Photo: L. Busacca/WireImage9 of 18
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage10 of 18
- Photo: Gina James/Retna Ltd.11 of 18
- Photo: Gtres/Fame Flynet12 of 18
- Photo: BRJ/Fame Flynet13 of 18
- Photo: OHPIX/Bauer-Griffin14 of 18
- Photo: Paul Hurschmann/AP/Camera Press/Retna Ltd.15 of 18
- Photo: BG/Bauer-Griffin16 of 18
- Photo: ecorazzi.com/.17 of 18
More Celeb News
- Grammy Awards Nominees: 10 Biggest Snubs and Surprises From Bruno Mars to Lady GagaMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 10:49:04 PM
- 'Swerve' Review: Jason Clarke Gives This Humdrum Noir Its Only ZingMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 10:15:18 PM
- Egyptian Documentary 'The Square' Wins Top IDA AwardMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 10:09:27 PM
- #ICYMI: Pop Culture's Craziest This Week- Ron Burgundy, Kardashian Christmas, 'SouMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 9:49:27 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: 'The Book Thief' Star Geoffrey Rush Heaps Praise on Co-SMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 9:11:18 PM
- Grammy Awards Nominees: 10 Biggest Snubs and Surprises From Bruno Mars to Lady Gaga
LONDON (AP) — Model Naomi Campbell accepted libel damages Thursday from a British newspaper over a story that falsely claimed she was planning an elephant polo match in India for her partner's birthday.
RELATED: The biggest celeb makeup mistakes
The November article in the Daily Telegraph said Campbell was going to organize the tournament in Jodhpur for partner Vladislav Doronin's 50th birthday. The article included criticisms from animal-welfare activists.
Campbell's lawyer Gideon Benaim told a judge at London's High Court that the story was "simply false and the criticisms unfounded."
He said the article was widely republished in the Indian press and elsewhere, including over the Internet, "attracting a storm of adverse publicity against Ms. Campbell."
RELATED: The most risque outfits ever
Julia Varley, lawyer for the Daily Telegraph's publisher, told the court the newspaper regretted running the article.
The 42-year-old model said in a statement that the allegations should never have been published. But she said she was "glad that the matter has been resolved and I accept the newspaper's apology."
The amount of the damages, described as "substantial," was not disclosed.
RELATED: January's fashion hits and misses
Carrie Underwood tweets about her "Sound of Music" experience on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
See how Kim Kardashian, Fergie, Duchess Kate and more celebs look now that they've lost their pregnancy weight.Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite