NBA basketball, Niagara tightrope walk help ABC
NEW YORK (AP) -- High-wire acts — both above Niagara Falls and the basketball rim — are paying off for ABC.
The first three games of the NBA Finals series between Miami and Oklahoma City, led by superstars LeBron James and Kevin Durant, were the top prime-time draws for the week beginning June 11. They are averaging 16.1 million viewers, the most for an NBA Finals at this stage since the 2001 contest between Philadelphia and the L.A. Lakers.
The network also scored last week with its "Megastunts" special highlighted by daredevil Nik Wallenda's walk on a tightrope above Niagara Falls. The Nielsen company said the special averaged a little more than 10.3 million viewers on Friday night for ABC, coming in fifth behind NBC's "America's Got Talent" on Tuesday with 11.18 million viewers.
The "Megastunts" viewership represents the biggest non-sports audience for a broadcast network program during the summer since a "Dateline NBC" program during the week of Hurricane Katrina in 2005. It particularly elevated ABC on a night that relatively few people watch TV; the network had its biggest audience in the Friday time slot in five years, during any season.
During the last half hour, when Wallenda was out on the rope, viewership peaked for ABC at nearly 16 million.
ABC averaged 8.3 million viewers for the week in prime time (5.2 rating, 9 share), topping second-place NBC's 6.1 million (3.9, 7). CBS had 5.5 million (3.7, 6), Fox had 4 million (2.4, 4), ION Television had 1.1 million (0.8, 1) and the CW had 620,000 (0.4, 1).
Among the Spanish-language networks, Univision led with a 3.2 million viewer average (1.7, 3), Telemundo had 1.3 million (0.7, 1), TeleFutura had 570,000 (0.3, 1), Estrella had 180,000 and Azteca 90,000 (both 0.1, 0).
NBC's "Nightly News" topped the evening newscasts with an average of 7.7 million viewers (5.3, 11). ABC's "World News" was second with 6.9 million (4.7, 10) and the "CBS Evening News" had 5.4 million viewers (3.7, 8).
A ratings point represents 1,147,000 households, or 1 percent of the nation's estimated 114.7 million TV homes. The share is the percentage of in-use televisions tuned to a given show.
For the week of June 11-17, the top 10 shows, their networks and viewerships: NBA Finals, Game 2: Miami vs. Oklahoma City, ABC, 16.67 million; NBA Finals, Game 1: Miami vs. Oklahoma City, ABC, 16.2 million; NBA Finals, Game 3: Oklahoma City vs. Miami, ABC, 15.55 million; "America's Got Talent" (Tuesday), NBC, 11.18 million; "Megastunts," ABC, 10.26 million; U.S. Open Golf Tournament," NBC, 9.63 million; "NCIS," CBS, 9.29 million; "The Big Bang Theory," CBS, 7.8 million; "60 Minutes," CBS, 7.51 million; "The Bachelorette," ABC, 7.43 million.
ABC is owned by The Walt Disney Co. CBS is owned by CBS Corp. CW is a joint venture of Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corp. Fox and My Network TV are units of News Corp. NBC and Telemundo are owned by Comcast Corp. ION Television is owned by ION Media Networks. TeleFutura is a division of Univision. Azteca America is a wholly owned subsidiary of TV Azteca S.A. de C.V.
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite