Katherine Jackson claims the concert promoter failed to properly investigate
the doctor who was later convicted of involuntary manslaughter for giving
Jackson an overdose of the anesthetic propofol as a sleep aid in 2009.
AEG denies it is liable for Jackson's death. Its lawyers have said Jackson
hid his prescription drug use from nearly everyone.
Fournier said his incomplete medical records show he administered propofol to
Jackson at least 14 times between 2000 and 2003. He estimated he gave the singer
the drug numerous other times over the years for a variety of cosmetic and
He noted in his records that Jackson had a high tolerance for certain drugs,
which Fournier said could be attributed to a variety of factors, including
During cross-examination, Fournier said Jackson never requested any specific
drugs, including propofol, during procedures or asked to be sedated for longer
than was necessary. He said the singer didn't exhibit any drug-seeking behavior
or signs that he was doctor-shopping.
Fournier said it was not common to administer an anesthetic during cosmetic
procedures, but the ones done on Jackson were complex and involved dozens of
injections. Some of the procedures were near Jackson's eye and sedation was
necessary to keep him still, Fournier said.
Fournier also said he never had any indication that the singer was using
propofol as a treatment for insomnia.
Jackson's physician Conrad Murray had been giving the singer nightly doses of
propofol as Jackson prepared for his ill-fated "This Is It" shows.