Olympics derail almost everything else on TV
NEW YORK (AP) -- Here's a TV trivia question: What was the most-watched prime-time program last week that had nothing to do with the Olympics?
The answer: A repeat of the CBS drama "NCIS."
Olympics coverage thoroughly dominated television last week, as expected. Its ratings were better than NBC expected and turned what was anticipated to be a money-losing event into one that will break even or perhaps finish in the black.
"NCIS" was seen by under 7 million viewers last week. It is usually among the top shows on television, so its placement on last week's list is not unusual.
About the only network not adversely affected by NBC's Olympics coverage was Univision. Fans stuck with their Spanish-language telenovelas, and five editions of "Que No Podia Amar" finished among Nielsen's top 20 shows last week. In viewers, Univision topped ABC and Fox.
NBC's prime-time viewership average for the week was 32.2 million (18.3 rating, 30 share), all of it Olympics. CBS averaged 4.2 million viewers (2.8, 5), ABC had 2.8 million (1.8, 3), Fox had 2.2 million (1.4, 2), ION Television had 960,000 (0.7, 1) and the CW had 600,000 (0.4, 1).
Among the Spanish-language networks, Univision had a 3.4 million average (1.8, 3), Telemundo had 1.1 million (0.6, 1), TeleFutura had 480,000 (0.3, 0), Estrella had 170,000 and Azteca 90,000 (both 0.1, 0).
Brian Williams' "Nightly News," based in London last week, also got an Olympics boost by averaging 10.8 million viewers (7.2, 15). ABC's "World News" was second with 6.9 million (4.6, 9) and the "CBS Evening News" had 5.5 million viewers (3.8, 5).
A ratings point represents 1,147,000 households, or 1 percent of the nation's estimated 114.7 million TV homes. The share is the percentage of in-use televisions tuned to a given show.
For the week of July 30-Aug. 5, the top 10 shows, their networks and viewerships: Summer Olympics (Tuesday), NBC, 38.72 million; Summer Olympics (Thursday), NBC, 36.8 million; Summer Olympics (Monday), NBC, 31.58 million; Summer Olympics (Sunday), NBC, 31.26 million; Summer Olympics (Wednesday), NBC, 30.8 million; Summer Olympics (Friday), NBC, 28.51 million; Summer Olympics (Saturday), NBC, 27.96 million; "NCIS," CBS, 6.82 million; "60 Minutes," CBS, 6.42 million; "Big Brother 14" (Sunday), CBS, 5.72 million.
ABC is owned by The Walt Disney Co. CBS is owned by CBS Corp. CW is a joint venture of Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corp. Fox and My Network TV are units of News Corp. NBC and Telemundo are owned by Comcast Corp. ION Television is owned by ION Media Networks. TeleFutura is a division of Univision. Azteca America is a wholly owned subsidiary of TV Azteca S.A. de C.V.
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Check out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Prince Harry is visiting the United States again, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
From Kristen Stewart to Rihanna, check out some of Hollywood's tomboys.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
- Beers With BieberJustin Bieber shares photos of his beer-drinking safari on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Missing Miley?Get the scoop on the newest breakup rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Visiting U.S.Prince Harry is visiting the United States again, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersMiranda Kerr, Katy Perry, and Bjork all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Wants PrivacySelena Gomez doesn't like everyone knowing about her relationship with Justin Bieber, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Baby FaceCheck out the first pic of Malin Akerman's son -- a closeup of his adorable face -- on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite