Paula and Simon reunite on `The X Factor'
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul are back together again, hoping to recapture their TV chemistry for a new Fox talent show.
The network announced Sunday that the two former "American Idol" judges have reunited to assess would-be singing stars on Cowell's "The X Factor," debuting this fall.
The Associated Press reported Saturday that Abdul had signed to be part of the panel, which taped its first judging session Sunday. Fox and the show's producers sought maximum drama by keeping Abdul's status under wraps until she appeared for the taping.
Glammed up in a shoulder-baring purple dress and purple stilettos, Abdul greeted Cowell with a hug outside the University of Southern California auditorium where contestants were set to audition.
Besides the longtime TV sparring partners, the judges include British pop star Cheryl Cole and Grammy-winning producer Antonio "L.A." Reid.
"This show would never have been the same without Paula and I can't believe I am saying this: I have missed her a lot, and I am thrilled she's on the show," Cowell said in a written statement.
"I am excited beyond words to be a part of `The X Factor,'" Abdul added. "I'm also delighted and grateful to be sitting next to Simon again ... but you might want to check back with me in a week or two!"
The 48-year-old singer, dancer and choreographer reigned on "Idol" as the nice if sometimes dizzy-seeming judge who often clashed colorfully with Cowell in his role as resident bully. She left "Idol" in 2009, after eight seasons, in a contract dispute.
Abdul and Cowell, seated together at Sunday's taping as they typically were on "Idol," quickly slipped into their familiar, bickering ways. But Abdul also proved willing to stand up to Cowell, who's now her boss as well as fellow judge: He is an executive producer of the Fox version of the hit British show he created.
Announcement of Abdul's involvement in the new show was held up as negotiations continued until the eve of the first taping, according to a person familiar with the talks. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity Saturday because Fox and the show's producers had not authorized public comment.
One obstacle was removed by CBS, which featured Abdul on "Live to Dance" earlier this year. She was released earlier this week by the network from any further obligations, a person at CBS said Saturday, speaking on condition of anonymity because the network hadn't authorized public comment on the matter.
"Live to Dance" was a talent competition series starring Abdul that premiered on CBS in January. It was a ratings flop.
Late Saturday, Fox confirmed that co-hosts of "The X Factor" will be Steve Jones and Nicole Scherzinger. Jones is a popular TV host in Britain. Scherzinger is a former member of the girl group the Pussycat Dolls who has appeared on the British version of "The X Factor."
The competition is open to solo singers and vocal groups age 12 and up. The winner will get a $5 million record contract.
AP Entertainment Writers Frazier Moore and Christy Lemire contributed to this report.
- Hollywood's Hottest Dads
- Mark Wahlberg's Shirtless Looks
- Prince William & Duchess Kate's Cutest Couple Moments
- Stars with tattoos of other celebs
- Brooke Shields' Changing Looks
- Carrie Underwood's Evolving Looks
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Cast Yearbook Photos
- Worst Celeb Sunburns
- Celeb Twins
- Celebs Who Work Out on the Beach
- Country Music's Hottest Couples
- Worst spring wardrobes
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Romance Retro
- WATN: 'Boy Meets World'
- Tim McGraw's changing looks
- Craziest Kim Kardashian pregnancy rumors
- Celebs Who Look Like Their Pets
- Mariah & Nick's Matching Style
- Hollywood's Tomboys
- The Royal Couple's Favorite Sports
- Kim Kardashian's Curvy Maternity Style
- WATN: 'Jurassic Park'
- January Jones' Retro Looks
- The Rock's Soft Side
- WATN: 'Veronica Mars'
- WATN: 'Beetlejuice'
- Fergie's Changing Looks
- Star Twitter Quitters
- Hollywood's Hottest Ryans
- Insured Celebrity Body Parts
- Most Expensive Celeb Engagement Rings
- Sweetest Celeb PDA
- Kim Kardashian's Tightest Looks
- Olivia Wilde's Best Street Style
- Justin Timberlake's Many Looks
- Hottest Royal Beach Bodies
- Celebrity Pets with Famous Names
- Michelle Williams' Best Fashion Moments
- Lindsay Lohan's Changing Looks
- Justin Bieber's Changing Hair
- Most Awkward People on the Red Carpet
- WATN: '7th Heaven'
- Ke$ha's Worst Looks
- Worst Oscar Fashion
- George Clooney's Oscar Dates
- Most Embarrassing Celeb Splits
- Stars Before They Were Oscar Nominees
- Jennifer Lawrence's Best Fashion Moments
- Rihanna's Sexiest Grammy Style
- Drew Barrymore's Craziest Looks
- Jennifer Aniston's Changing Looks
- Worst Dressed Celeb Designers
- Anne Hathaway's Oscar Looks
- Grammy's Hottest Couples
- Taylor Swift's Best Grammy Fashion
- WATN: 'Wonder Years'
- Destiny's Child's Most Iconic Looks
- Best Off-Season Bikini Bods
- Emma Stone's Best Red-Carpet Looks
- Celeb Flashers
- Mariah Carey's Biggest Feuds
- Mariah Carey's Wacky Wardrobe
- Britney Spears' Wackiest Red Carpet Poses
- Celeb Makeup Mistakes
- Ryan Gosling's Leading Ladies
- Nicole Kidman's Golden Globe Fashion
- Katy Perry's Year as a Single Gal
- Celebs Who've Removed Romantic Tattoos
- Most Memorable Celeb Holiday Cards
- Five of the Worst Celeb Winter Wardrobes
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Romance Retro
- Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
- Christina Aguilera's Worst Looks
- 2012's One Hit Wonders
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Best and Worst Beach Bodies of 2012
- 2012 Fashion Don'ts
- Craziest Beauty Trends of 2012
- Celebs Who Survived Cheating Scandals
- The Turkeys of 2012
- Kristen Stewart's Best Red Carpet Moments
- WATN: 'Less Than Zero'
- Star Couples Who Went from Friends to Lovers
- The Most Famous Celebrity Pets
- The Hottest Celebrity Halloween Costumes
- WATN: 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'
- Jessica Biel's White Hot Red Carpet Style
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
From David Beckham to Ben Affleck, check out Hollywood's hottest dads.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite