- Photo: Mark Stewart/Retna Ltd.1 of 12
- Photo: Wonderwall2 of 12
- Photo: SBH/ZDS/WENN3 of 12
- Photo: TOAA/ZDS/WENN4 of 12
- Photo: TOAA/ZDS/WENN5 of 12
- Photo: Gotcha Images/Splash News6 of 12
- Photo: TOE/Bauer-Griffin7 of 12
- Photo: Splash News8 of 12
- Photo: Mark Stewart/Retna Digital9 of 12
- Photo: Mirrorpix/Splash News10 of 12
- Photo: Camera Press/Retna Ltd.11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Alexander Payne's 'Nebraska' Reviews: Is it Another 'Sideways&amMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 8:44:54 AM
- Review: 'We Steal Secrets' juicy look at WikiLeaksMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 8:39:06 AM
- Vin Diesel's Talks Marijuana, Steroids and Facebook in Bizarre 'Tonight Show&aMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 8:32:06 AM
- Bill O'Reilly to Jon Stewart: 'I've Been Too Easy' on Obama (VidMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 8:25:33 AM
- Cannes Review: In 'Nebraska,' Alexander Payne Paints an American LifeMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 8:05:41 AM
- Alexander Payne's 'Nebraska' Reviews: Is it Another 'Sideways&am
The news that Pippa Middleton, the sister of Kate who displayed a scene-stealing derrière at the royal wedding, is to publish a book on how to organize the perfect party, has gone down about as well in Britain as would a keynote address by Prince Philip at the NAACP Convention.
In a rare pincer attack, both the left-wing Guardian and the right-wing Daily Mail have monstered the hapless Pippa, producing their own scathing parodies of how the Duchess of Cambridge's sister's new tome might look.
RELATED ON THE DAILY BEAST: The latest and greatest celebrity twit-pics
Neither can resist referencing Prince Harry's ill-advised choice of a Nazi costume at a fancy dress party in 2005. "My royal in-laws love a fancy dress party with an original theme. For example, you could have a Nazi theme?" writes The Guardian's Catherine Bennett, while David Thomas, in the Mail, has Pippa saying, "I adore fancy-dress parties, but it's such hard work trying to think of a theme. I used to think it was a safe bet to go for uniforms, but since Harry got into all that trouble for wearing a swastika armband, that's a no-no."
The Daily Mail piece was illustrated with an oft-seen cache of embarrassing photos of Pippa at various college parties, engaged in japes such as wearing a dress made out of toilet paper ("All the naughty boys pour wine on it to see if it goes soggy") and clambering atop a human pyramid ("It's crucial to be the girl on top—like me—because then everyone knows you're the thinnest!")
RELATED ON THE DAILY BEAST: See Michelle Williams' stunning transformation as Marilyn Monroe
The justification for this book is that Pippa is in the party business—she works for her parents' mail-order party shop, Party Pieces, but, as she has previously labored in the field of public relations, one might have thought that young Pip would recall the basic rule of that industry: try not to make the public hate you.
Has Pippa learned nothing from the adventures of the ghastly Sarah Ferguson (or "Duchess," as she ludicrously still insists on being called, despite the fact that she divorced Andrew, Duke of York, in 1996) who was caught in May 2010 drunkenly offering access to her ex for $500,000? What about the treatment meted out to Peter Phillips, a lowly 13th in line to the throne, who was pilloried for selling his wedding photos to Hello magazine for £500,000? His sister, Zara Phillips, then tried to repeat the trick with her own nuptials, but was warned off by the palace.
RELATED ON THE DAILY BEAST: Kate Middleton and other stars with scars
The sight of minor royals and royals-in-law—whom the public suspect of living featherbedded lifestyles anyway -- cashing in on their regal connections irritates the Great British public at the best of times. But there could scarcely be a worse time for Pippa to be hawking a £1 million book deal around the publishing world. Britain is in the grip of government-mandated austerity the likes of which has not been seen since the 1950s, unemployment is at 8.1 percent, its highest for 17 years, and there are very real fears the country may be slipping back into recession.
So it's hardly the perfect moment, culturally, for a privileged young lady who will one day be the queen's sister to be bringing out a guide to entertaining in style, especially when Kate is the woman who can do no wrong, engaging in thoroughly worthy pursuits such as raising the profile of UNICEF in drought-hit Kenya, while effortlessly topping every best-dressed list in town in the bargain.
RELATED ON THE DAILY BEAST: Read all about Eddie Murphy's rollercoaster career
Pippa's book, meanwhile, is expected to tackle some of the same weighty issues she covers in her blog, The Party Times, on her parents website. Previous postings give "dos and don'ts" such as, "The key to creating a wonderful party lies not in spending vast amounts but in planning -- from choice of venue, entertainer, and party theme to the selection of food, decorations and of course the birthday cake."
It's hard to believe that just six months ago Pippa Middleton was being hailed as the best thing to happen to the royal family since her sister. More and more, it seems like the British media are lining her up for the role of Fergie II.
RELATED ON THE DAILY BEAST: Justin Bieber joins a long list of Hollywood stars riddled baby daddy drama
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite