Prince Charles: Prince George is 'what this is all about,' calls Camilla his 'wonderful wife'
- Photo: Time magazine/Promotional1 of 9
- Photo: BPC/HSS/WENN2 of 9
- Photo: Invision/AP3 of 9
- Photo: Michael Dunlea/StarTraks4 of 9
- Photo: JP3/Wonderwall5 of 9
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin6 of 9
- Photo: Matt Dunham/Invision/AP7 of 9
- Photo: Matt Dunham/Invision/AP8 of 9
More Celeb News
- NBC Promotes Jenny Groom to Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming and DevelopmentMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Bryan Singer Accuser Michael Egan Drops Sex Abuse LawsuitMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Pivot Network Now Available on College Streaming Service PhiloMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:31:00 PM
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Summer Finale Attracts 2.3 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:14:00 PM
- Chiller 'As Above, So Below' Tries to Put Scare Into 'Guardians'MSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 2:53:00 PM
- NBC Promotes Jenny Groom to Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming and Development
"Much of what you think you know about the Prince is wrong," writes Time magazine's Catherine Mayer in her exclusive new cover story with Britain's future king, Prince Charles.
With a renewed global obsession with the monarchy, most of it centered on Charles' sons Prince William and Prince Harry, William's wife, Kate Middleton (the Duchess of Cambridge), and 3-month-old grandson Prince George -- gives the "Forgotten Prince" all the more reason to sit down and discuss the succession issue.
He says his grandson, whose royal christening took place just one day before the cover's release, is "what this is all about." Queen Elizabeth II, who is slowly handing off more responsibilities and duties to her 64-year-old son, has no intention of abdicating the throne at 87-years-old, nor is Charles "itching to ascend the throne." She writes, "He prefers not to focus on his accession, which, after all, means losing his mother."
Charles, who is portrayed in the story as thoughtful, attentive to his family, charitably-minded, environmentally-cognizant, and even funny, the future-- and not just his hopes for the monarchy but his concerns, too. "I've had this extraordinary feeling, for years and years, ever since I can remember really, of wanting to heal and make things better," he says. “I feel more than anything else it’s my duty to worry about everybody and their lives in this country, to try to find a way of improving things if I possibly can."
The writer also explores the disastrous remnants of Charles' breakup with the late Princess Diana, where the Prince's personal image took an enormous hit. Britons and royal watchers worldwide were for some time upset with his love and second wife, Camilla Parker Bowles (now the Duchess of Cornwall), following Diana's death at age 36 in a 1997 car crash. But the story touches on a happy present-day Charles who enjoys life with his "wonderful wife" and growing family. A fan and longtime friend of the Prince, British actress Emma Thompson, says dancing with Charles is "better than sex."
And finally, the piece addresses the gossip over whether Prince Charles will be skipped in inheriting the crown. The answer is simple: Charles' devotion to the monarchy leaves him primed and ready to succeed. "If you chuck away too many things," he says, "you end up discovering there was value in them."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Rihanna strips down to a bikini while vacationing near an active volcano off the coast of Italy on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXT'The Bachelor'
From Crowd Ignite