Prince Charles: Prince George is 'what this is all about,' calls Camilla his 'wonderful wife'
- Photo: Time magazine/Promotional1 of 9
- Photo: BPC/HSS/WENN2 of 9
- Photo: Invision/AP3 of 9
- Photo: Michael Dunlea/StarTraks4 of 9
- Photo: JP3/Wonderwall5 of 9
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin6 of 9
- Photo: Matt Dunham/Invision/AP7 of 9
- Photo: Matt Dunham/Invision/AP8 of 9
More Celeb News
- World Cup Star Tim Howard Returns to NBC Sports as Premier League AnalystMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 9:28:00 AM
- Ron Livingston Cast in AMC's 'We Hate Paul Revere' PilotMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 9:02:00 AM
- Ratings: 'Bachelorette' Finale and 'Final Rose' Lead ABC to MondMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 8:45:00 AM
- Watch This Tonight: The Real Housewives of New York CityMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 7:07:00 AM
- Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Pedro Almodovar Condemn Israel for Gaza AttacksMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 7:04:00 AM
- World Cup Star Tim Howard Returns to NBC Sports as Premier League Analyst
"Much of what you think you know about the Prince is wrong," writes Time magazine's Catherine Mayer in her exclusive new cover story with Britain's future king, Prince Charles.
With a renewed global obsession with the monarchy, most of it centered on Charles' sons Prince William and Prince Harry, William's wife, Kate Middleton (the Duchess of Cambridge), and 3-month-old grandson Prince George -- gives the "Forgotten Prince" all the more reason to sit down and discuss the succession issue.
He says his grandson, whose royal christening took place just one day before the cover's release, is "what this is all about." Queen Elizabeth II, who is slowly handing off more responsibilities and duties to her 64-year-old son, has no intention of abdicating the throne at 87-years-old, nor is Charles "itching to ascend the throne." She writes, "He prefers not to focus on his accession, which, after all, means losing his mother."
Charles, who is portrayed in the story as thoughtful, attentive to his family, charitably-minded, environmentally-cognizant, and even funny, the future-- and not just his hopes for the monarchy but his concerns, too. "I've had this extraordinary feeling, for years and years, ever since I can remember really, of wanting to heal and make things better," he says. “I feel more than anything else it’s my duty to worry about everybody and their lives in this country, to try to find a way of improving things if I possibly can."
The writer also explores the disastrous remnants of Charles' breakup with the late Princess Diana, where the Prince's personal image took an enormous hit. Britons and royal watchers worldwide were for some time upset with his love and second wife, Camilla Parker Bowles (now the Duchess of Cornwall), following Diana's death at age 36 in a 1997 car crash. But the story touches on a happy present-day Charles who enjoys life with his "wonderful wife" and growing family. A fan and longtime friend of the Prince, British actress Emma Thompson, says dancing with Charles is "better than sex."
And finally, the piece addresses the gossip over whether Prince Charles will be skipped in inheriting the crown. The answer is simple: Charles' devotion to the monarchy leaves him primed and ready to succeed. "If you chuck away too many things," he says, "you end up discovering there was value in them."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite