Prince William remembers Princess Diana in Australia
- Photo: Splash News1 of 18
- Photo: Martin Hunter/AP2 of 18
- Photo: Ross Setford/SNPA/AP3 of 18
- Photo: Mark Mitchell/AP4 of 18
- Photo: Fiona Goodall/AP5 of 18
- Photo: Fiona Goodall/AP6 of 18
- Photo: Fiona Goodall/AP7 of 18
- Photo: Fiona Goodall/AP8 of 18
- Photo: Pool/Samir Hussein/WireImage/.9 of 18
- Photo: SPS/WENN10 of 18
- Photo: Rex USA11 of 18
- Photo: ROSS SETFORD/AP12 of 18
- Photo: Rex USA13 of 18
- Photo: GettyImages.com14 of 18
- Photo: GettyImages.com15 of 18
- Photo: GettyImages.com16 of 18
- Photo: Jason Bell/Camera Press/Redux/.17 of 18
More Celeb News
- U2 guitarist gets boost in bid for Malibu mansionsMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 2:26:14 PM
- Kim Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens and More Celebs Part of a New Nude Photos Leak?MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 2:01:00 PM
- Vanessa Hudgens, Hope Solo Are Latest Victims of Nude Photo Leaks (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 1:35:00 PM
- Polly Bergen, 'Cape Fear' Actress, Dead at 84MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 1:30:00 PM
- Ruby Dee memorialized in NYC with song and danceMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 1:10:22 PM
- U2 guitarist gets boost in bid for Malibu mansions
Prince William's arrival in Australia with his wife, Kate Middleton, and his son, Prince George, was a moment of reflection for the new father. He gave a speech in Sydney at the welcoming reception for his family, commenting on the love his late mother Princess Diana had for the country, as well as his brother Harry's ties to the area.
"This visit to Australia has been one that Catherine and I have been looking forward to for a long time," the prince, 31, said. "On my first visit here as an adult in 2010, I remember just how bowled over I was by Sydney; seeing the energy and diversity of this beautiful city, and understanding just how much Australia is the home of innovation, opportunity and possibility."
"I was well prepared; the affection that my grandmother, The Queen, has for this nation is infectious," William divulged. "Her Majesty spoke recently of how, since her first visit here sixty years ago, she has been privileged to witness Australia’s growing economy and flowering self-confidence."
"For Catherine, Harry, and me, born in the early '80s, we’ve never known anything else – Australia and Australians have always been for us a beacon of confidence, creativity in the arts and sporting ability," he continued, referencing his wife and his brother. "Harry felt very honored to be invited to the centenary Fleet Review in Sydney harbor last year; and I know how much my father enjoyed his visit here in honor of The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. My mother’s deep affection for Australia – which you were so kind to reciprocate – needs no reminder."
Before her untimely death at the age of 36 in 1997, Princess Diana toured Australia for a final time in 1996, after bringing her young son Prince William to the country in 1983 with her then-husband Prince Charles.
In fact, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's current tour of New Zealand and Australia mirrors the trip William took as a baby. The comparison was taken a step further on Wednesday, April 16, when the royal couple showed off their baby George in a white romper, a look royal enthusiasts pointed out was strikingly similar to one that Will sported as a little one. Middleton, 32, paid her own homage to Princess Diana at the start of the trip, channeling her in a red coat that resembled the one the late royal wore on her arrival to New Zealand.
ALSO ON WONDERWALL:
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See some of the many revealing looks that Kim Kardashian has donned recently.Watch Video »
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBirthday Fun
From Crowd Ignite