Review: Jealousy fires sexy 'Murder Ballad'
NEW YORK (AP) — The new off-Broadway musical "Murder Ballad" should turn down the amps and amp up the plot.
It's a melodramatic love story about attractive young people set in contemporary New York City, without much larger social context. Unless it matters that attractive young people can become warped by all the opportunities available through a sexually charged New York night life.
With loud, emotion-laden rock songs and some melodious ballads, the show premiered Thursday night in an energetic production at Manhattan Theatre Club's Studio at Stage II. Julia Jordan conceived it and wrote the book and some of the lyrics, with music and other lyrics by Juliana Nash. While there's not much musical variety among the songs, the performers are strong and passionate.
The small theater at City Center has been set up as a real cash bar, including a talented live band. Some audience members are seated at tables in the performance area, and can get quite an eyeful of the four appealing actors, who leap around or writhe together on audience table tops, bars made of planks, and a pool table.
Trip Cullman has inventively and athletically staged the 80-minute world premiere, using the full theater space to dramatize the lovers' dynamics. Rebecca Naomi Jones is powerful and compelling as the Narrator, moving the story along with beautifully sung, explanatory songs.
Jones opens the show with the lovely, folk-tinged "Murder Ballad," heralding an important message for anyone involved in "true love gone awry." Heed "the murder ballad's warning/There but for the grace of God go I."
The simple plot: Boy (Will Swenson, sexy and reptilian as hip, studly bartender Tom), meets Girl, (Karen Olivo, sexy and feline as Sara), and they have hot sex for three years. Then he dumps her, singing with selfish hubris that "New York's got four million women/For me to lose myself in."
Absurdly, Sara rebounds into marriage with literally the first guy she bumps into after a drunken pity-party. John Ellison Conlee is effectively teddy-bearish and protective as not-especially-sexy, plaid-shirt-clad, nice-guy Michael. They have a daughter, Frankie, and six years go by in about two onstage minutes.
Then a bored Sara, feeling old and useless (at less than 30 years old?) because Frankie started kindergarten, reignites the relationship with Tom. Which she soon regrets, because now formerly carefree Tom is jealous and possessive (again, really?). With the Narrator singing ruefully, "If he had stayed downtown like me/This would have ended happily," the men have a furious brawl, ending with a death and a nice plot twist.
And there we have it. I hopefully recommend removing all amplification from the enthusiastic band, because the theater is so small that they surely can be heard perfectly without any electronic help.
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Who Am I?
Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite