Rihanna opens up about Brown fight in candid interviewRelated: Chris Brown, Rihanna
- Photo: John Spellman/Retna Ltd.1 of 9
- Photo: Splash News2 of 9
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin3 of 9
- Photo: Ahmad Elatab-SaleemElatab/Splash News4 of 9
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin5 of 9
- Photo: Pacific Coast News6 of 9
- Photo: London Ent/Splash News7 of 9
- Photo: Splash News8 of 9
More Celeb News
- Kelsey Grammer, Martin Lawrence Land Lawyer Comedy at FX MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 3:51:37 PM
- Music Journalist Chet Flippo Dead at 69MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 3:26:04 PM
- Owen Wilson and Woody Harrelson Go Back In Time in 'Free Bird's Trailer (Video)MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 3:01:15 PM
- Jason Schwartzman Joins Christoph Waltz, Amy Adams in Tim Burton's 'Big Eyes&aMSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 2:59:22 PM
- Michael Cera Having a High Time in 'Crystal Fairy' Trailer (Video)MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 2:55:28 PM
- Kelsey Grammer, Martin Lawrence Land Lawyer Comedy at FX
The R&B superstar was beaten black and blue by Brown after she allegedly questioned him about text messages he was getting from an ex-girlfriend.
RELATED: See more photos of Rihanna
Brown was found guilty of assaulting his then-partner and is still serving community service for his actions.
Rihanna has spoken little about the incident or her break-up, but she opens her heart for a revealing new interview in the December issue of Marie Claire magazine.
Stating she felt like "an empty vessel" for days following the fight, the Umbrella singer admits the violent run-in with her ex helped to make her a much better person.
She tells the publication, "I couldn't have been the woman I am, the friend, or the sister or the artist, or the role model I am today if I didn't go through what I went through."
"It's scary; you just lose touch of everything that you love and everything that you would normally do; how you would dress or how you would say something."
"I needed that wake-up call in my life. That was the only way I would have gotten out of that relationship."
RELATED VIDEO: Check out behind the scenes of Rihanna's tour
And the heartache from the split didn't last long: "I remember waking up one day and I knew I was over it. I didn't feel lonely. I felt like I wanted to get up and be in the world -- that was a great, great feeling."
"Once you're back on your feet ... if you ever make it back on your feet, that's the ultimate achievement."
RELATED ON MSN: See Rihanna's Artist Page
The 22-year-old star is now dating Los Angeles Dodgers baseball player Matt Kemp, 26, and tells the magazine she's very much in love: "He's just easy and really kind."
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite