Rihanna opens up about Brown fight in candid interview
- Photo: John Spellman/Retna Ltd.1 of 9
- Photo: Splash News2 of 9
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin3 of 9
- Photo: Ahmad Elatab-SaleemElatab/Splash News4 of 9
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin5 of 9
- Photo: Pacific Coast News6 of 9
- Photo: London Ent/Splash News7 of 9
- Photo: Splash News8 of 9
More Celeb News
- Will Google and Microsoft Put Their Money Where Their Mouth Is? (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 5:18:52 PM
- Daytime Talkshow 'The Real' to Air in More Than 70 Percent of the CountryMSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 5:00:47 PM
- Channing Tatum Saves Mila Kunis in 'Jupiter Ascending' Trailer From 'MatrMSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 4:40:28 PM
- Eleanor Parker, 'Sound of Music' Actress, Dead at 91MSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 4:30:05 PM
- Jake Gyllenhaal on 'Prisoners' and Why Good Cops Have Criminal MindsMSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 4:20:41 PM
- Will Google and Microsoft Put Their Money Where Their Mouth Is? (Video)
The R&B superstar was beaten black and blue by Brown after she allegedly questioned him about text messages he was getting from an ex-girlfriend.
RELATED: See more photos of Rihanna
Brown was found guilty of assaulting his then-partner and is still serving community service for his actions.
Rihanna has spoken little about the incident or her break-up, but she opens her heart for a revealing new interview in the December issue of Marie Claire magazine.
Stating she felt like "an empty vessel" for days following the fight, the Umbrella singer admits the violent run-in with her ex helped to make her a much better person.
She tells the publication, "I couldn't have been the woman I am, the friend, or the sister or the artist, or the role model I am today if I didn't go through what I went through."
"It's scary; you just lose touch of everything that you love and everything that you would normally do; how you would dress or how you would say something."
"I needed that wake-up call in my life. That was the only way I would have gotten out of that relationship."
RELATED VIDEO: Check out behind the scenes of Rihanna's tour
And the heartache from the split didn't last long: "I remember waking up one day and I knew I was over it. I didn't feel lonely. I felt like I wanted to get up and be in the world -- that was a great, great feeling."
"Once you're back on your feet ... if you ever make it back on your feet, that's the ultimate achievement."
RELATED ON MSN: See Rihanna's Artist Page
The 22-year-old star is now dating Los Angeles Dodgers baseball player Matt Kemp, 26, and tells the magazine she's very much in love: "He's just easy and really kind."
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHoliday Spirit
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite