Close

Wonderwall

Sacha Baron Cohen Banned from Oscars?

USMagazine, Thursday, February 23, 2012, 6:45am (PST)

Will The Dictator rule the red carpet at Sunday's Academy Awards?

Doesn't sound like it. Sacha Baron Cohen has another envelope-pushing comedy to promote -- The Dictator, about a totalitarian despot who terrorizes his country -- and rumors suggested that the actor, 40, planned to hit Sunday's awards show dressed in the military garb of his character.

PHOTOS: Sacha and his much-shorter wife

But reports that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences had outright banned Cohen (who is part of the cast of the film Hugo, nominated for 12 awards) from attending are untrue, an Academy rep told The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday.

"We haven't banned him," the rep said. "We're just waiting to hear what he's going to do."

PHOTOS: Look back on last year's Oscars

Still, the rep added, "We don't think it's appropriate" for Cohen to hit the event in costume, suggesting the star would be "hijacking" the red carpet to promote his film. "But his tickets haven't been pulled. We're waiting to hear back."

Get more Us! Follow us on Twitter, Friend us on Facebook, Subscribe to Us Weekly

Show Comments
When using Facebook Connect your image and name may display on Wonderwall. All Privacy Settings are controlled by Facebook
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXT
Bye Baby Bump
We are updating our Terms of Use. Learn More
aa