Sendup of Hollywood film-making in 'Picked'
NEW YORK (AP) -- What if you got your dreamed-of big career break, but it didn't seem to change your life for the better?
How an earnest young actor deals with that huge disappointment is the premise behind Christopher Shinn's thoughtful and humorous new play, "Picked," which opened Wednesday night at off-Broadway's Vineyard Theatre. The well-cast and nicely acted production features Kevin, an unknown actor appealingly performed by Michael Stahl-David, who is selected to participate in a two-year movie project conceived and written by a driven, egotistical but successful director.
Mark Blum plays the insensitive director, John, with wicked insight into just how unconsciously horrible his character actually is. Blum's off-hand delivery of John's self-serving, ignorant or smarmy remarks gets lots of laughs. Rarely letting actors' genuine emotions interfere with his artistic "vision," John says things like, "Finally figured out the visual effect for empathy — that took a while."
Kevin, who believes an actor's job is to "offer the truth," lets John literally pick his brain by undergoing neuro-imaging to provide real and compelling material for a science-fiction film about a robot and a spaceship captain.
Liz Stauber plays Kevin's patient and understanding actress girlfriend, Jen, while Tom Lipinski ably portrays Nick, a fellow actor whose career takes off dramatically after he works with John and Kevin. Donna Hanover is delightful in two small roles, as an impossibly nice casting agent and a television interviewer.
In Shinn's typically spare dialogue, these characters frequently let sentences trail off rather than complete their thoughts; Kevin and Jen in particular often communicate by sentence fragments.
In a rapid series of mostly short scenes imaginative staged by director Michael Wilson, Kevin's life goes downhill in the increasingly surreal aftermath of the movie project. It's not really clear why he enters a weird career twilight zone, morosely telling Jen, "Now I can't even get the kind of work I don't want to do." The more he tries to understand it, the more depressed he becomes.
In Shinn's other plays, like the Pulitzer Prize-nominated "Dying City," he brilliantly illuminated big emotions like grief and loss with often-elliptical dialogue and onstage silences. Using those same techniques in "Picked," he makes sly points about the ironies inherent in the profession of acting and the difficulties of creating a "true" experience in the totally artificial medium of film.
"Picked" is scheduled to perform through May 15.
- Brad Pitt's Changing Looks
- Hollywood's Hottest Dads
- Mark Wahlberg's Shirtless Looks
- Prince William & Duchess Kate's Cutest Couple Moments
- Stars with tattoos of other celebs
- Brooke Shields' Changing Looks
- Carrie Underwood's Evolving Looks
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Cast Yearbook Photos
- Worst Celeb Sunburns
- Celeb Twins
- Celebs Who Work Out on the Beach
- Country Music's Hottest Couples
- Worst spring wardrobes
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Romance Retro
- WATN: 'Boy Meets World'
- Tim McGraw's changing looks
- Craziest Kim Kardashian pregnancy rumors
- Celebs Who Look Like Their Pets
- Mariah & Nick's Matching Style
- Hollywood's Tomboys
- The Royal Couple's Favorite Sports
- Kim Kardashian's Curvy Maternity Style
- WATN: 'Jurassic Park'
- January Jones' Retro Looks
- The Rock's Soft Side
- WATN: 'Veronica Mars'
- WATN: 'Beetlejuice'
- Fergie's Changing Looks
- Star Twitter Quitters
- Hollywood's Hottest Ryans
- Insured Celebrity Body Parts
- Most Expensive Celeb Engagement Rings
- Sweetest Celeb PDA
- Kim Kardashian's Tightest Looks
- Olivia Wilde's Best Street Style
- Justin Timberlake's Many Looks
- Hottest Royal Beach Bodies
- Celebrity Pets with Famous Names
- Michelle Williams' Best Fashion Moments
- Lindsay Lohan's Changing Looks
- Justin Bieber's Changing Hair
- Most Awkward People on the Red Carpet
- WATN: '7th Heaven'
- Ke$ha's Worst Looks
- Worst Oscar Fashion
- George Clooney's Oscar Dates
- Most Embarrassing Celeb Splits
- Stars Before They Were Oscar Nominees
- Jennifer Lawrence's Best Fashion Moments
- Rihanna's Sexiest Grammy Style
- Drew Barrymore's Craziest Looks
- Jennifer Aniston's Changing Looks
- Worst Dressed Celeb Designers
- Anne Hathaway's Oscar Looks
- Grammy's Hottest Couples
- Taylor Swift's Best Grammy Fashion
- WATN: 'Wonder Years'
- Destiny's Child's Most Iconic Looks
- Best Off-Season Bikini Bods
- Emma Stone's Best Red-Carpet Looks
- Celeb Flashers
- Mariah Carey's Biggest Feuds
- Mariah Carey's Wacky Wardrobe
- Britney Spears' Wackiest Red Carpet Poses
- Celeb Makeup Mistakes
- Ryan Gosling's Leading Ladies
- Nicole Kidman's Golden Globe Fashion
- Katy Perry's Year as a Single Gal
- Celebs Who've Removed Romantic Tattoos
- Most Memorable Celeb Holiday Cards
- Five of the Worst Celeb Winter Wardrobes
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Romance Retro
- Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
- Christina Aguilera's Worst Looks
- 2012's One Hit Wonders
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Best and Worst Beach Bodies of 2012
- 2012 Fashion Don'ts
- Craziest Beauty Trends of 2012
- Celebs Who Survived Cheating Scandals
- The Turkeys of 2012
- Kristen Stewart's Best Red Carpet Moments
- WATN: 'Less Than Zero'
- Star Couples Who Went from Friends to Lovers
- The Most Famous Celebrity Pets
- The Hottest Celebrity Halloween Costumes
- WATN: 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'
- Jessica Biel's White Hot Red Carpet Style
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite