Skrillex, OWLSLA Label Announce The Nest: Subscription Service
Billboard -- Twitter's bass music contingency has been all a-wobble since last Thursday, when Skrillex and the team of OWSLA, his digital-only indie label, started hyping a mysterious new hashtag: #thenest.
It prompted a wide range of replies, from the curious ("What's the Nest??"), to the violent ("Stop retweeting and tell us or I'll murder a ferret"), to the blindly devoted ("I don't even know what it is but I need it in my life"). Now, Billboard is happy to finally put the mystery of The Nest to rest.
Announced today, The Nest is a subscription-based OWSLA imprint, much like a digital fan club. For $12 a month fans will receive all sorts of goodies, both digital and terrestrial, including early access to OWSLA releases, weekly Nest-exclusive downloads from up-and-coming artists, and ticket pre-sales for OWSLA events.
"The Nest is another chance for us to get music out to the fans quicker and easier," said Skrillex in a statement to Billboard. "It's a step into the unknown future of music which is exciting, and it allows us to keep our fans up on fresh content and bring up some new artists we love."
Fans who sign up now on drip.fm/owsla will get OWSLA's 2011 Treats and 2012 Treats, two previously unreleased compilations featuring some of the label's best-known releases. And those who opt-in prior to December 31 will be entered to win a trip to Ultra Music Festival 2013 in Miami, including airfare for two, a hotel stay, and VIP passes.
But the service will officially launch in January, with exclusives including a twitchy, glitchy M Machine remix of "Middle Finger" by Dog Blood (aka Skrillex and Boys Noize), previewed here.
According to Team OWSLA, Nest is a way to break down even more of the ever- decreasing barriers between fan, artist and label, funneling new music directly to an engaged audience, almost in real-time.
"It was really the simplicity of it," says Blaise DeAngelo, OWSLA label manager. "The people we interact with are exposed to so much great music all the time, but there are so many constraints on what we could put out and when. We didn't have enough bandwidth for all the great stuff we wanted to share with the world."
"It lets us move even faster than we do: Find a song and have it posted that day, that hour," says Skrillex's manager, Tim Smith of Blood Company.
And when they say exclusive, they mean exclusive.
"Normally we'd give these tracks to key DJs a week before release," says DeAngelo, "but these are so exclusive, literally the only way you can get them first is through The Nest. It's different from anything we've done before."
Nest subscribers will also receive exclusive remixes, DJ sets, a capellas and remix stems, access to exclusive artist meet-and-greets, live chats and Ustream sessions, and 20% off OWSLA merchandise.
The back-end of Nest is Drip.fm, launched last year by Ghostly International founder Sam Valenti IV and technologist Miguel Senquiz, formerly of Ghostly and tastemaker platform Flavorpill. The service philosophically sits somewhere between subscription streaming and paid downloads, but with a twist of exclusivity that could only work for brands with already strong and loyal fan-bases. Skrillex's extended family of high-profile indie label captains - like Diplo for his Mad Decent, and A-Trak for Fool's Gold - also use the service.
Launched by Skrillex, his management, and media agency Biz3 in August 2011, OWSLA has quickly distinguished itself as more than just a label of drop-based dubstep. New school hip-hop from Jack Beats, lush soundscapes from Seven Lions, electro-soul from Monsta, and Skrillex's own reggae/bass smash-up with Damian Marley all have a home on the label, which co-releases some titles with Big Beat/Atlantic.
"I think kids want to support music and their favorite artists, but technology has not yet given them a vehicle for that that's attainable to them," says DeAngelo. "To get otherwise-unavailable music directly from the source, the proper version and the format they need, before anywhere else, we feel our fans will pay a reasonable monthly fee."
Related article on Billboard.com:
Voodoo Experience 2012 Photos: Metallica, Skrillex & More
_ _ _ _
Find more online: Billboard.com
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
Khloe Kardashian showed off her svelte figure, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Kourtney Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens and Tara Reid all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Gwyneth Paltrow works out for two hours a day, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Kim’s final pre-baby Parisian getaway on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Chief BeefKaty Perry incites a Twitter feud with a 17-year-old rapper. Get the dirty details on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Fashion BluesKourtney Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens and Tara Reid all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Fights & FeudsGet the scoop on some of the most recent Hollywood feuds on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Svelte BodKhloe Kardashian showed off her svelte figure, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Last TripGet the scoop on Kim’s final pre-baby Parisian getaway on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Magic LoveThe stars of "Now You See Me" chat learning magic tricks and experiencing the real deal.Watch Video »
- Workout ObsessedGwyneth Paltrow works out for two hours a day, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite