Stephen Fry attempted suicide last year
- Photo: Jon Furniss/Invision/Invision/AP1 of 7
- Photo: Jon Furniss/Invision/Invision/AP2 of 7
- Photo: Jon Furniss/Invision/Invision/AP3 of 7
- Photo: Jon Furniss/Invision/Invision/AP4 of 7
- Photo: Bob Kent/PP/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.5 of 7
- Photo: Can Nguyen/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.6 of 7
More Celeb News
- 'Lilyhammer' Star Steven Van Zandt on His Place in TV History, Mandela and (PossibMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 3:18:15 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: 'Porcelain Horse' Writer-Director on the 'ExpecMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:58:39 PM
- Award-Winning Producers to Finance Documentary About Forgotten Film Legend (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:58:13 PM
- Obama Nominates Sony's Tom Rothman to National Council on the ArtsMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:47:27 PM
- 'American Hustle' and 'Saving Mr. Banks' Hit Box Office in Heat MSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 1:44:28 PM
- 'Lilyhammer' Star Steven Van Zandt on His Place in TV History, Mandela and (Possib
British actor Stephen Fry attempted suicide in 2012 by swallowing a "huge number of pills" and washing it down with alcohol.
RELATED: Stars who are aging in reverse
The "Gosford Park" star, who suffers from bipolar disorder, reveals he had been working abroad when his producer found him in an "unconscious state" in his hotel room.
Opening up about the personal crisis during a recent interview for a London theatre podcast, he said, "I am the victim of my own moods, more than most people are perhaps, in as much as I have a condition which requires me to take medication so that I don't get either too hyper or too depressed to the point of suicide."
RELATED: Best TMI tweets
Fry "took a huge number of pills and a huge (amount) of vodka," but his attempt to take his own life was a painful one as the overdose "made my body convulse so much that I broke four ribs."
He added, "It was a close run thing. Fortunately, the producer I was filming with at the time came into the hotel room and I was found in a sort of unconscious state and taken back to England and looked after."
The 55-year-old has previously discussed attempting suicide in 1995, after walking out of the West End play "Cell Mates." He recalled the drama in the BBC documentary "The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive."
"Shah's of Sunset" star Asa Soltan talks about this season's drama, possible wedding bells with her boyfriend and more.Watch Video »
From Jenny and Donnie to Amanda and Justin, see more celebs who found new love in 2013.Watch Video »
Kourtney Kardashian hits up the happiest place on Earth on today’s Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Olivia Wilde to Mario Lopez, see which stars have the hottest beach bods of 2013.Watch Video »
Victoria’s Secret Angel Candice Swanepoel talks to WW about wearing the $10 million bra, eating steak, Taylor Swift and if she plans to marry her boyfriend.Watch Video »
Check out the many times Taylor Swift has pulled out her surprise face at award shows.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXT'70s Style
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite