Stephen Fry attempted suicide last year
- Photo: Jon Furniss/Invision/Invision/AP1 of 7
- Photo: Jon Furniss/Invision/Invision/AP2 of 7
- Photo: Jon Furniss/Invision/Invision/AP3 of 7
- Photo: Jon Furniss/Invision/Invision/AP4 of 7
- Photo: Bob Kent/PP/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.5 of 7
- Photo: Can Nguyen/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.6 of 7
More Celeb News
- CBS Bumps Halle Berry's 'Extant' to 10 P.M. After Ratings SlipMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 11:52:00 AM
- Eva Green in Talks to Star in Tim Burton's 'Miss Peregrine's Home for PecMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 11:42:00 AM
- Christopher Walken, Giancarlo Esposito Join Jon Favreau's 'Jungle Book'MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 10:58:00 AM
- 'Glee' Star Lea Michele to Guest on 'Sons of Anarchy'MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 10:30:00 AM
- Sarah Palin Channel Mocked on Twitter With Terrible Ideas for TV ShowsMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 10:19:00 AM
- CBS Bumps Halle Berry's 'Extant' to 10 P.M. After Ratings Slip
British actor Stephen Fry attempted suicide in 2012 by swallowing a "huge number of pills" and washing it down with alcohol.
RELATED: Stars who are aging in reverse
The "Gosford Park" star, who suffers from bipolar disorder, reveals he had been working abroad when his producer found him in an "unconscious state" in his hotel room.
Opening up about the personal crisis during a recent interview for a London theatre podcast, he said, "I am the victim of my own moods, more than most people are perhaps, in as much as I have a condition which requires me to take medication so that I don't get either too hyper or too depressed to the point of suicide."
RELATED: Best TMI tweets
Fry "took a huge number of pills and a huge (amount) of vodka," but his attempt to take his own life was a painful one as the overdose "made my body convulse so much that I broke four ribs."
He added, "It was a close run thing. Fortunately, the producer I was filming with at the time came into the hotel room and I was found in a sort of unconscious state and taken back to England and looked after."
The 55-year-old has previously discussed attempting suicide in 1995, after walking out of the West End play "Cell Mates." He recalled the drama in the BBC documentary "The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive."
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTYoung Hollywood
From Crowd Ignite