Stephen Fry attempted suicide last year
- Photo: Jon Furniss/Invision/Invision/AP1 of 7
- Photo: Jon Furniss/Invision/Invision/AP2 of 7
- Photo: Jon Furniss/Invision/Invision/AP3 of 7
- Photo: Jon Furniss/Invision/Invision/AP4 of 7
- Photo: Bob Kent/PP/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.5 of 7
- Photo: Can Nguyen/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Discovery to Air Everest Avalanche Documentary May 4MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 3:02:00 PM
- A&E Sets Premiere Date for Longmire Season 3MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 2:40:00 PM
- 'Locke' Review: Tom Hardy Captivates in This One-Man Road TripMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 2:39:00 PM
- Big Bang Theory's Kaley Cuoco Chops Off Her HairMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 2:18:00 PM
- NBC's Comedy Playground Slammed With Trademark Infringement, Unfair Competition SuitMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 2:16:00 PM
- Discovery to Air Everest Avalanche Documentary May 4
British actor Stephen Fry attempted suicide in 2012 by swallowing a "huge number of pills" and washing it down with alcohol.
RELATED: Stars who are aging in reverse
The "Gosford Park" star, who suffers from bipolar disorder, reveals he had been working abroad when his producer found him in an "unconscious state" in his hotel room.
Opening up about the personal crisis during a recent interview for a London theatre podcast, he said, "I am the victim of my own moods, more than most people are perhaps, in as much as I have a condition which requires me to take medication so that I don't get either too hyper or too depressed to the point of suicide."
RELATED: Best TMI tweets
Fry "took a huge number of pills and a huge (amount) of vodka," but his attempt to take his own life was a painful one as the overdose "made my body convulse so much that I broke four ribs."
He added, "It was a close run thing. Fortunately, the producer I was filming with at the time came into the hotel room and I was found in a sort of unconscious state and taken back to England and looked after."
The 55-year-old has previously discussed attempting suicide in 1995, after walking out of the West End play "Cell Mates." He recalled the drama in the BBC documentary "The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive."
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the former cast of "The Girls Next Door" is today.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTLife in Pics
From Crowd Ignite