Stripping taught 'Magic Mike' cast about women
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The waxing, the thongs, the perils of topless typecasting: Playing strippers taught the men of "Magic Mike" something about women.
Matthew McConaughey, Channing Tatum, Alex Pettyfer, Joe Manganiello and Matt Bomer play firemen, cops and other exaggerated versions of hyper-masculine characters in the Steven Soderbergh film, and they say preparing for their parts and performing nearly nude for the dozens of female extras who populated the fake Club Xquisite gave them insight into women's grooming, undergarments and approach to carnal fantasy.
"Magic Mike" delves into the male exotic-dancing world in Tampa, Fla., where Mike (Tatum) is a star performer who sees potential in a young newbie (Pettyfer) he calls The Kid. As The Kid becomes enamored of his new lifestyle and the access to drugs, money and women it provides, Mike thinks about escaping the debaucherous environs and making good on his entrepreneurial dreams outside the club. Meanwhile, there are several silly, sexy, scantily clad dance routines that showcase the actors', um, assets.
Soderbergh says the film is "just F for fun," but he and his cast found making it illuminating. For one, they discovered that "the role of fantasy for men and women is different," the director said.
"If men have a fantasy, they spend more time thinking about how to make it happen than women do," he said. "Women come to the (strip) club, they do their two-hour thing and then they drop it. Men are not like that. There's something behind it for them that they have to keep thinking about."
Women go with their friends, where men often go alone. Men dream of having some kind of relationship with the stripper, Soderbergh said, "but I don't think any of (the women at clubs) look at these guys and go, `I'll throw it all away for this person.'"
Soderbergh was drawn to the male-strippers story because it explored a world he hadn't seen before, and its inherent music and dancing made it "a good movie idea." Tatum, who really was a stripper when he was 18 and inspired the film's concept, said he and screenwriter Reid Carolin wanted to put a cinematic spin on the weird world he worked in and point an objectifying lens at men, for once.
"In movies, generally if there's a female role in it, generally, a large part of the time, her power comes from her sexuality, and that has done something weird in society where women think their power is their sex, that their sexuality that is empowering them to be strong women, and that a complete falsity," Tatum said.
"For this (film), the women are the ones that are smart and have careers and are making good decisions for themselves, and the guys are the ones that are objectified and deriving power from sexuality," Carolin said. "That makes them behave very flamboyantly and confidently, but they don't have any real fulfillment out of that, and there's this struggle to feel like they're worth something outside of that."
Still, Tatum, 32, acknowledges that showing flesh for his roles in "Magic Mike" and other movies "probably helped my career more than hurt my career at this point."
Dealing with the waxing the part required, however, was a real challenge.
"I don't know what movie could make me do that again," Tatum said.
"One time is enough for me," echoed McConaughey.
Pettyfer didn't have to wax, but he did have to shave, and does so on screen with a pink razor.
"Oh my god, I don't know how women shave," he said, adding that his skin was irritated for weeks. He also had some trouble with his wardrobe.
"I don't know how you wear a thong," the 22-year-old Brit said. "It's one of the most uncomfortable things in the world."
McConaughey said performing in the revealing garment took hours of acclimation.
"You first get a thong on and your posture's different," said the actor, who would walk around in his costume and make small talk to get comfortable before his scenes.
"Anything a man does in a thong is funny," Manganiello said. And though he's often topless on TV's "True Blood" and shirtless in both of his movies this summer ("Magic Mike" and "What to Expect When You're Expecting"), the 35-year-old actor doesn't fear being typecast as a half-naked hunk.
"There's no male objectification," he said. "I just don't think it exists. Men, what do we care?"
Submitting to body waxes and butt-bearing underwear, though, is another story.
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Brad Pitt's Changing Looks
- Hollywood's Hottest Dads
- Mark Wahlberg's Shirtless Looks
- Prince William & Duchess Kate's Cutest Couple Moments
- Stars with tattoos of other celebs
- Brooke Shields' Changing Looks
- Carrie Underwood's Evolving Looks
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Cast Yearbook Photos
- Worst Celeb Sunburns
- Celeb Twins
- Celebs Who Work Out on the Beach
- Country Music's Hottest Couples
- Worst spring wardrobes
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Romance Retro
- WATN: 'Boy Meets World'
- Tim McGraw's changing looks
- Craziest Kim Kardashian pregnancy rumors
- Celebs Who Look Like Their Pets
- Mariah & Nick's Matching Style
- Hollywood's Tomboys
- The Royal Couple's Favorite Sports
- Kim Kardashian's Curvy Maternity Style
- WATN: 'Jurassic Park'
- January Jones' Retro Looks
- The Rock's Soft Side
- WATN: 'Veronica Mars'
- WATN: 'Beetlejuice'
- Fergie's Changing Looks
- Star Twitter Quitters
- Hollywood's Hottest Ryans
- Insured Celebrity Body Parts
- Most Expensive Celeb Engagement Rings
- Sweetest Celeb PDA
- Kim Kardashian's Tightest Looks
- Olivia Wilde's Best Street Style
- Justin Timberlake's Many Looks
- Hottest Royal Beach Bodies
- Celebrity Pets with Famous Names
- Michelle Williams' Best Fashion Moments
- Lindsay Lohan's Changing Looks
- Justin Bieber's Changing Hair
- Most Awkward People on the Red Carpet
- WATN: '7th Heaven'
- Ke$ha's Worst Looks
- Worst Oscar Fashion
- George Clooney's Oscar Dates
- Most Embarrassing Celeb Splits
- Stars Before They Were Oscar Nominees
- Jennifer Lawrence's Best Fashion Moments
- Rihanna's Sexiest Grammy Style
- Drew Barrymore's Craziest Looks
- Jennifer Aniston's Changing Looks
- Worst Dressed Celeb Designers
- Anne Hathaway's Oscar Looks
- Grammy's Hottest Couples
- Taylor Swift's Best Grammy Fashion
- WATN: 'Wonder Years'
- Destiny's Child's Most Iconic Looks
- Best Off-Season Bikini Bods
- Emma Stone's Best Red-Carpet Looks
- Celeb Flashers
- Mariah Carey's Biggest Feuds
- Mariah Carey's Wacky Wardrobe
- Britney Spears' Wackiest Red Carpet Poses
- Celeb Makeup Mistakes
- Ryan Gosling's Leading Ladies
- Nicole Kidman's Golden Globe Fashion
- Katy Perry's Year as a Single Gal
- Celebs Who've Removed Romantic Tattoos
- Most Memorable Celeb Holiday Cards
- Five of the Worst Celeb Winter Wardrobes
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Romance Retro
- Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
- Christina Aguilera's Worst Looks
- 2012's One Hit Wonders
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Best and Worst Beach Bodies of 2012
- 2012 Fashion Don'ts
- Craziest Beauty Trends of 2012
- Celebs Who Survived Cheating Scandals
- The Turkeys of 2012
- Kristen Stewart's Best Red Carpet Moments
- WATN: 'Less Than Zero'
- Star Couples Who Went from Friends to Lovers
- The Most Famous Celebrity Pets
- The Hottest Celebrity Halloween Costumes
- WATN: 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'
- Jessica Biel's White Hot Red Carpet Style
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Ashley Greene reveals a painful wound from a wild Bali vacation on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
From David Beckham to Ben Affleck, check out Hollywood's hottest dads.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite