TVXQ! Q&A: On America, Favorite Artists, Future Touring Plans
Billboard -- TVXQ! are K-pop royalty. With almost a decade under their belts, the group has proven themselves time and time again in the ever-changing Korean pop world by crafting new sounds, constructing imaginative live shows -- weathering member changes along the way -- to sell millions of singles and albums to try and satiate their hugely dedicated fanbase.
TVXQ! consists of Max Changmin and U-Know Yunho, actively promoted as a duo since 2011. In that time frame, the group has racked up two No. 1 singles ("Superstar" and "Still") on the Japan Hot 100 plus two No. 2 singles ("Winter Rose" and "Android").
While TVXQ! has yet to hit the American market on their own like fellow K-pop acts BIGBANG, 2NE1, or their SM Entertainment labelmates Girls' Generation, the boys have begun planting seeds. The two performed at the 2011 SMTown showcase featuring labelmates BoA, Super Junior, f(x), SHINee, and more. In addition, they headlined the "Google" stop of the MBC Korean Music Wave show in San Francisco (with Wonder Girls, Kara, MBLAQ, SISTAR, and others) and the Billboard KPOP Masters Concert in Las Vegas.
The boys made a comeback this fall with their new "Catch Me" album (which peaked at No. 6 on the World Albums chart in October) featuring the K-Pop Hot 100 No. 25 hit single of the same name. Most recently, they repackaged the set with two new tracks including new single "Humanoids" and "Here I Stand." The duo recently began touring (for the first time in four years) with their TVXQ! LIVE WORLD TOUR 'Catch Me,' holding a show in Korea's capital of Seoul with more dates to come.
Max and U-Know took some time to answer questions for Billboard readers in this exclusive Q&A session. Check out which song they think best represents them, who they look up to musically, and where they may come to see their fans next.
Billboard: Hello Max and U-Know! For those who may be unfamiliar with TVXQ!, can you first describe your band and what makes you unique?
TVXQ!: TVXQ! stands for "The Rising Gods of the East" which means we strive to be the best group out of Asia to the rest of the world. What differentiates our group is our own unique style of performance filled with passion and our hard efforts in delivering good music and stage performance.
Tell us about your most recent music projects. What else do you have scheduled for the rest of 2012 and for 2013?
We've been working hard to promote our recent album "Catch Me" which became widely known for the "Hulk Dance," followed by our newest song "Humanoids." We will be continuing our tour around various cities worldwide throughout 2013 for TVXQ! LIVE WORLD TOUR 'Catch Me' which we were able to launch successfully in Seoul not too long ago. We will also be doing a five [shows] in Japan.
If a listener was hearing you for the first time, what songs or videos do you think best represents TVXQ!?
We would recommend the [first single] off our last album "Why (Keep Your Head Down)" as a song that best represents the distinct sound of our music, and the [first single] of our new album "Catch Me" to watch our powerful performance.
You performed in America before with your fellow SM Entertainment artists. Will we ever see TVXQ! put on a solo show or concert here in America?
We were truly inspired when we performed at the SMTOWN LIVE Concert in Madison Square Garden. Though we don't have any set plans for a show in America yet, we would love to meet our fans in America if given the opportunity.
What other territories or countries do you two hope to visit?
If there is an opportunity, we'd love to visit our fans not only in the U.S. but also in other places we haven't performed before in Latin America and Europe. We are planning to visit fans in various places around the world through our World Tour, so hope you guys are excited!
Are there any American artists you look up to or respect? Any artists or producers you hope to work with some day?
U-Know: Because there are so many talented artists and producers out there, regardless of who it might be, I feel that we'd be able to create great music together.
Max: I've always admired and looked up to artists like Brian McKnight, John Mayer, and Stevie Wonder, so I'd love to collaborate with them.
Anything else you would like to share with Billboard readers or a message to your fans worldwide?
We're able to work hard and perform due to our fans' support. We're going to try our best to meet more of our fans worldwide in the future, and will continuously strive to become a better group. Please continue to show us lots of love and support. Thank you!
Related article on Billboard.com:
K-Pop Hot 100: K. Will and HyunA Rise + This Week's Must-See Videos
_ _ _ _
Find more online: Billboard.com
- Brad Pitt's Changing Looks
- Hollywood's Hottest Dads
- Mark Wahlberg's Shirtless Looks
- Prince William & Duchess Kate's Cutest Couple Moments
- Stars with tattoos of other celebs
- Brooke Shields' Changing Looks
- Carrie Underwood's Evolving Looks
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Cast Yearbook Photos
- Worst Celeb Sunburns
- Celeb Twins
- Celebs Who Work Out on the Beach
- Country Music's Hottest Couples
- Worst spring wardrobes
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Romance Retro
- WATN: 'Boy Meets World'
- Tim McGraw's changing looks
- Craziest Kim Kardashian pregnancy rumors
- Celebs Who Look Like Their Pets
- Mariah & Nick's Matching Style
- Hollywood's Tomboys
- The Royal Couple's Favorite Sports
- Kim Kardashian's Curvy Maternity Style
- WATN: 'Jurassic Park'
- January Jones' Retro Looks
- The Rock's Soft Side
- WATN: 'Veronica Mars'
- WATN: 'Beetlejuice'
- Fergie's Changing Looks
- Star Twitter Quitters
- Hollywood's Hottest Ryans
- Insured Celebrity Body Parts
- Most Expensive Celeb Engagement Rings
- Sweetest Celeb PDA
- Kim Kardashian's Tightest Looks
- Olivia Wilde's Best Street Style
- Justin Timberlake's Many Looks
- Hottest Royal Beach Bodies
- Celebrity Pets with Famous Names
- Michelle Williams' Best Fashion Moments
- Lindsay Lohan's Changing Looks
- Justin Bieber's Changing Hair
- Most Awkward People on the Red Carpet
- WATN: '7th Heaven'
- Ke$ha's Worst Looks
- Worst Oscar Fashion
- George Clooney's Oscar Dates
- Most Embarrassing Celeb Splits
- Stars Before They Were Oscar Nominees
- Jennifer Lawrence's Best Fashion Moments
- Rihanna's Sexiest Grammy Style
- Drew Barrymore's Craziest Looks
- Jennifer Aniston's Changing Looks
- Worst Dressed Celeb Designers
- Anne Hathaway's Oscar Looks
- Grammy's Hottest Couples
- Taylor Swift's Best Grammy Fashion
- WATN: 'Wonder Years'
- Destiny's Child's Most Iconic Looks
- Best Off-Season Bikini Bods
- Emma Stone's Best Red-Carpet Looks
- Celeb Flashers
- Mariah Carey's Biggest Feuds
- Mariah Carey's Wacky Wardrobe
- Britney Spears' Wackiest Red Carpet Poses
- Celeb Makeup Mistakes
- Ryan Gosling's Leading Ladies
- Nicole Kidman's Golden Globe Fashion
- Katy Perry's Year as a Single Gal
- Celebs Who've Removed Romantic Tattoos
- Most Memorable Celeb Holiday Cards
- Five of the Worst Celeb Winter Wardrobes
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Romance Retro
- Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
- Christina Aguilera's Worst Looks
- 2012's One Hit Wonders
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Best and Worst Beach Bodies of 2012
- 2012 Fashion Don'ts
- Craziest Beauty Trends of 2012
- Celebs Who Survived Cheating Scandals
- The Turkeys of 2012
- Kristen Stewart's Best Red Carpet Moments
- WATN: 'Less Than Zero'
- Star Couples Who Went from Friends to Lovers
- The Most Famous Celebrity Pets
- The Hottest Celebrity Halloween Costumes
- WATN: 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'
- Jessica Biel's White Hot Red Carpet Style
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite