Will.i.am Flashes His Geeky Side at CES 2013
Billboard -- Will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas flashed his geeky side during a panel about innovation and entrepreneurship at the Consumer Electronics Show on Tuesday in Las Vegas.
The singer, describing his approach to developing ideas for clients such as Intel and Coca-Cola as well as his own startups as a mix between anthropology and pop psychology, called himself a "pop-thropologist."
BILLBOARD.BIZ: Read All Our CES 2013 Coverage Here
"I like to go places to see what's happening. I like to feel what's happening. And then I go create," the singer and songwriter told a theater packed with thousands of consumer electronics professionals. "I like to go places and sponge everything up. I just sponged up this whole room!"
At last year's CES, Will.i.am shared the keynote stage with Intel's chief executive, Paul Otellini, as the chip company's director of creative innovation. At that event, he hyped Intel's Ultrabook laptop as his "ghetto-blaster." This year, he's more focused on his own endeavors - the i.am+ application and accessory that clips on to iPhones, turning it from an 8-megapixel camera into a 14-megapixel camera with an enhanced flash.
Will.i.am said he got the idea for his start-up during a professional photo shoot for the Black Eyed Peas last year. Of all the photos taken during the session, some with professional cameras that cost thousands of dollars, "the one that circled the world was taken with an iPhone." He said the idea germinated in May, and by the end of June, he created his first prototype. The device shipped in limited quantities in November.
Wearing his i.am+ device around his neck, the 37-year-old who grew up in East Los Angeles said that although "music saved my life," it will be science and engineering that will save "that little version of myself in the hood."
He also said he believed technology, which upended the music industry, will help revive it.
"People forget that the music business is technology," Will.i.am said. "You see the Grammys (logo)? That's an old iPhone. They called it a gramophone."
Mobile social technology in particular has transformed his career, he said. Before "we didn't know who our audience was," he said. "There were all these middlemen. Now we have this ability to have direct contact. Twitter changed my life."
The Grammy-winning artist says that he uses social feeds to check on the audience's mood before he goes on stage. After a set, he also checks Twitter feeds to see how well they liked the songs.
"We've never had that type of direct link" with fans before, he said.
Related article on Billboard.com:
Karmin & Will.i.am Meet, Exchange Numbers: 'It's Legit Now'
_ _ _ _
Find more online: Billboard.com
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Magic LoveThe stars of "Now You See Me" chat learning magic tricks and experiencing the real deal.Watch Video »
- Workout ObsessedGwyneth Paltrow works out for two hours a day, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite