Three art works from Liz Taylor collection snag $21.8M
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP1 of 17
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP2 of 17
- Photo: Julie Markes/Invision/AP3 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 17
- Photo: Express/Hulton Archive/GettyImages.com5 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP6 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: Promotional8 of 17
- Photo: WireImage.com9 of 17
- Photo: PF1/WENN10 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP11 of 17
- Photo: WENN/Warner Bros.12 of 17
- Photo: WENN/Warner Bros.13 of 17
- Photo: Damian Dovarganes/Invision/AP14 of 17
- Photo: RICHARD DREW/Invision/AP15 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Facebook Bests Revenue Estimates, Stock on the RiseMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 1:31:00 PM
- Fox Cancels 'Jump of the Century,' Cites Costs and TimingMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 1:01:00 PM
- Darth Vader Polling Higher Than Every Single Likely 2016 Presidential CandidateMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 12:28:00 PM
- Sneaky 'Better Call Saul' Teaser Billboard Pops Up in Albuquerque (Photo)MSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 12:11:00 PM
- Chernin Group, AT&T to Buy Controlling Stake in FullscreenMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 12:09:00 PM
- Facebook Bests Revenue Estimates, Stock on the Rise
LONDON (AP) -- Three top works from the late Hollywood star Elizabeth Taylor's art collection have sold at a London auction for nearly $22 million, the auctioneer Christie's said Tuesday.
The lot's biggest-selling item was Van Gogh's "Vue de l'asile de la Chapelle de Remy," which used to hang in the living room of Taylor's Bel Air home. The tan-and-turquoise landscape was sold for more than nearly $16 million to an anonymous telephone bidder.
The two other pieces, a self-portrait by Edgar Degas and a landscape by Claude Pissarro, sold earlier in the evening.
Marc Porter, chairman of Christie's Americas, called the works the "crown jewel" of the showbiz legend's collection, and he said in a statement that the auctioneer hoped for more positive results when it offered the rest of Taylor's art collection Wednesday.
RELATED: Shortest Celeb Marriages
Taylor died in March at age 79, and Christie's has been selling off her possessions piecemeal.
Last month, the auctioneer sold a 17th-century portrait that once hung over Taylor's fireplace for $2 million. In December, Christie's sold her collection of jewelry, fashion and memorabilia for well over $100 million, including $8.8 million for a diamond ring given to her by Richard Burton, whom she married twice.
Prices include the buyer's premium.
RELATED: Year in Review: In Memoriam 2011
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
From Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis to Vanessa Hudgens and Austin Butler, see more celebs who love beach PDA.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHeating Up!
From Crowd Ignite