Three art works from Liz Taylor collection snag $21.8M
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP1 of 17
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP2 of 17
- Photo: Julie Markes/Invision/AP3 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 17
- Photo: Express/Hulton Archive/GettyImages.com5 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP6 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: Promotional8 of 17
- Photo: WireImage.com9 of 17
- Photo: PF1/WENN10 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP11 of 17
- Photo: WENN/Warner Bros.12 of 17
- Photo: WENN/Warner Bros.13 of 17
- Photo: Damian Dovarganes/Invision/AP14 of 17
- Photo: RICHARD DREW/Invision/AP15 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Hulu Plus Scores 'Sleepy Hollow's' Exclusive Streaming RightsMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 2:07:00 PM
- 'Redskins' Banned by Washington Post Editorial PageMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 1:50:00 PM
- 'The Phone Call' Director Mat Kirkby's Next Project Will Make '5MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 1:42:00 PM
- Stephen Gaghan to Direct 'White City' Pilot for AMCMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 1:14:00 PM
- 'Orange Is the New Black' to Bring Lori Petty Back for Season 3MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 12:22:00 PM
- Hulu Plus Scores 'Sleepy Hollow's' Exclusive Streaming Rights
LONDON (AP) -- Three top works from the late Hollywood star Elizabeth Taylor's art collection have sold at a London auction for nearly $22 million, the auctioneer Christie's said Tuesday.
The lot's biggest-selling item was Van Gogh's "Vue de l'asile de la Chapelle de Remy," which used to hang in the living room of Taylor's Bel Air home. The tan-and-turquoise landscape was sold for more than nearly $16 million to an anonymous telephone bidder.
The two other pieces, a self-portrait by Edgar Degas and a landscape by Claude Pissarro, sold earlier in the evening.
Marc Porter, chairman of Christie's Americas, called the works the "crown jewel" of the showbiz legend's collection, and he said in a statement that the auctioneer hoped for more positive results when it offered the rest of Taylor's art collection Wednesday.
RELATED: Shortest Celeb Marriages
Taylor died in March at age 79, and Christie's has been selling off her possessions piecemeal.
Last month, the auctioneer sold a 17th-century portrait that once hung over Taylor's fireplace for $2 million. In December, Christie's sold her collection of jewelry, fashion and memorabilia for well over $100 million, including $8.8 million for a diamond ring given to her by Richard Burton, whom she married twice.
Prices include the buyer's premium.
RELATED: Year in Review: In Memoriam 2011
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBare Beauties
From Crowd Ignite