Three art works from Liz Taylor collection snag $21.8M
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP1 of 17
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP2 of 17
- Photo: Julie Markes/Invision/AP3 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 17
- Photo: Express/Hulton Archive/GettyImages.com5 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP6 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: Promotional8 of 17
- Photo: WireImage.com9 of 17
- Photo: PF1/WENN10 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP11 of 17
- Photo: WENN/Warner Bros.12 of 17
- Photo: WENN/Warner Bros.13 of 17
- Photo: Damian Dovarganes/Invision/AP14 of 17
- Photo: RICHARD DREW/Invision/AP15 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Netflix Makes Deal With AT&T to Speed Up Its VideosMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:42:00 PM
- TV Presidents Kevin Spacey, Julia Louis Dreyfus Tangle With 'Fargo's' BilMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:40:00 PM
- NBC's 'Aquarius' Books 'The Originals' Alum Claire HoltMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:28:00 PM
- Peter Capaldi's 'Doctor Who' Will Be Darker and 'a Lot Less PatiMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:12:00 PM
- 'The Simpsons' Producer James L. Brooks Signs With WMEMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Netflix Makes Deal With AT&T to Speed Up Its Videos
LONDON (AP) -- Three top works from the late Hollywood star Elizabeth Taylor's art collection have sold at a London auction for nearly $22 million, the auctioneer Christie's said Tuesday.
The lot's biggest-selling item was Van Gogh's "Vue de l'asile de la Chapelle de Remy," which used to hang in the living room of Taylor's Bel Air home. The tan-and-turquoise landscape was sold for more than nearly $16 million to an anonymous telephone bidder.
The two other pieces, a self-portrait by Edgar Degas and a landscape by Claude Pissarro, sold earlier in the evening.
Marc Porter, chairman of Christie's Americas, called the works the "crown jewel" of the showbiz legend's collection, and he said in a statement that the auctioneer hoped for more positive results when it offered the rest of Taylor's art collection Wednesday.
RELATED: Shortest Celeb Marriages
Taylor died in March at age 79, and Christie's has been selling off her possessions piecemeal.
Last month, the auctioneer sold a 17th-century portrait that once hung over Taylor's fireplace for $2 million. In December, Christie's sold her collection of jewelry, fashion and memorabilia for well over $100 million, including $8.8 million for a diamond ring given to her by Richard Burton, whom she married twice.
Prices include the buyer's premium.
RELATED: Year in Review: In Memoriam 2011
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBye Baby Bump
From Crowd Ignite