50 Cent calls weight loss for new film 'tough'
- Photo: This is 50/Retna Ltd.1 of 6
- Photo: This is 50/Promotional2 of 6
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com3 of 6
- Photo: Splash News4 of 6
- Photo: EP / WUF/Splash News5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Martin Scorsese to Present Mel Brooks with AFI AwardMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 7:09:07 AM
- 'Rebels,' New 'Star Wars' Animated Series, Coming Next YearMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 7:00:02 AM
- Review: The National returns with somber 6th albumMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 6:57:18 AM
- Review: Darius Rucker settles in on latest albumMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 6:55:03 AM
- Yahoo Promises Not to Screw Up TumblrMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 6:42:07 AM
- Martin Scorsese to Present Mel Brooks with AFI Award
NEW YORK (AP) -- Losing 50-plus pounds was a complicated process for 50 Cent — but not an entirely new one.
The rapper, who plays a football player with cancer in the upcoming film "Things Fall Apart," dropped from 214 pounds to 160 in nine weeks after liquid dieting and running on a treadmill three hours a day.
But the 33-year-old said that when he was shot in the jaw in 2000, he could drink only liquids and his weight dropped to 157.
"This time it was a lot tougher for me," the 6-foot-tall rapper said in an interview Friday with the Associated Press.
"I had to discipline myself not ... to actually have myself be in the physical state to convey the energy I felt. It's a passion project for me," said 50 Cent, whose real name is Curtis Jackson.
The film is about a childhood friend of the rapper who died of cancer, and is in production.
Actors including Robert De Niro, Christian Bale, Tom Hanks and Renee Zellweger are known for adjusting their weight in movies, and 50 said he did research when keeping the weight off got hard.
"I actually got on the computer," he said. "When it started getting difficult, I was looking to see what their experience was like and I got a chance to see all of the interviews they had at different time periods when they were doing promotion for the projects."
50 has been gaining the lost weight back, though, and said he currently weighs 198 pounds.
He said he doesn't anticipate winning awards for his acting role.
"Well, you know, I haven't received accolades that comes with the success that I've had in music," he said. "It would be a surprise" to win any acting awards, he said, noting that it's already a reward to have people aware of the role.
He released his fourth album, the gold-selling "Before I Self Destruct," in November. He kicks off his North American tour Saturday in Detroit.
50 Cent: http://www.50cent.com
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
- Beers With BieberJustin Bieber shares photos of his beer-drinking safari on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Missing Miley?Get the scoop on the newest breakup rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Visiting U.S.Prince Harry is visiting the United States again, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersMiranda Kerr, Katy Perry, and Bjork all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Wants PrivacySelena Gomez doesn't like everyone knowing about her relationship with Justin Bieber, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Baby FaceCheck out the first pic of Malin Akerman's son -- a closeup of his adorable face -- on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite