Gabrielle Union: 'I tried to shoot my rapist'
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/PacificCoastNews.com1 of 7
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage.com2 of 7
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN3 of 7
- Photo: Jen Lowery/Splash News4 of 7
- Photo: REVOLUTION PIX/Bauer-Griffin5 of 7
- Photo: Matt Sayles/AP6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Edward Hopper painting of NY island sells for $19MMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 11:24:01 AM
- Viggo Mortensen to Receive Dennis Hopper Award at AMFM Fest (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 11:02:50 AM
- 'S.W.A.T.' star Steve Forrest dies at 87MSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 10:53:06 AM
- Time Warner Cable Customers Face Blackouts in 14 Markets Over Retrans DisputeMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 10:02:09 AM
- Top stars square off for summer tour dollarsMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 9:58:56 AM
- Edward Hopper painting of NY island sells for $19M
Rihanna's controversial new "Man Down" video has brought back painful memories for actress Gabrielle Union - she tried to shoot the man who raped her.
The movie star was sexually assaulted at gunpoint and beaten by an intruder at the shoe store she worked at before she found fame.
She opened up about her ordeal in 2009 after online comments about a gang rape victim in the U.S. left her feeling disgusted, and now she has waded into the furor surrounding Rihanna's latest promo.
In the video, Rihanna murders her sex attacker, shooting him at a railway station before a series of flashback images show her grappling with him outside a nightclub as he tries to attack her.
Union insists the video hit home with her because she also tried to shoot her rapist, but missed.
She admits she's glad she didn't injure her attacker - as it would have "added insult to injury."
In a post on her Twitter.com page, Union writes, "Saw Man Down by Rihanna. Every victim/survivor of rape is unique, including how they THINK they&'d like justice to be handed out. During my rape I tried to shoot my rapist, but I missed.
"Over the years I realized that killing my rapist would've added insult to injury. The DESIRE to kill someone who abused/raped you is understandable, but unless it’s self defense in the moment to save your life, (it) just ADDS to your troubles.
"I repeat SELF DEFENSE to save yourself/protect yourself, I'm ALL for. Otherwise victim/survivor taking justice into your own hands with violence equals more trouble for you!!"
Union's rapist turned himself in to cops and he was sentenced to 33 years behind bars.
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite