Javier on Julia: 'The second I met her, I felt relaxed'Related: Julia Roberts, Penelope Cruz, Javier Bardem
- Photo: Vince Bucci/AP1 of 6
- Photo: KCSPresse/Splash News2 of 6
- Photo: Adam Larkey / ABC/Retna Ltd.3 of 6
- Photo: Walter McBride/Retna Ltd.4 of 6
- Photo: KCSPresse/Splash News5 of 6
More Celeb News
- MTV's 'Teen Wolf' Star Dylan O'Brien Eyed for DreamWorks&apoMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:48:07 PM
- Review: Spirited, sexy version of 'Master Builder'MSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:42:37 PM
- Lease to Broadway's biggest theater soldMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:31:38 PM
- Blossoming VOD Service Viewster Adds BBC's 'Skins,' Starz and Shine ProgrMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:26:11 PM
- Ray Manzarek Death: 5 Must-See Performances (Video)MSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:23:37 PM
- MTV's 'Teen Wolf' Star Dylan O'Brien Eyed for DreamWorks&apo
By Molly McGonigle
Newlywed Javier Bardem is currently making the rounds for "Eat Pray Love," and the fiercely private actor is being surprisingly open (we think it's that wedded bliss). Wonderwall recently got the chance to catch up with Bardem at the press day for the new film co-starring Julia Roberts, whom he made giggle the entire time. Check out what the Spanish actor had to say about his "Eat Pray Love" character, working with Julia and playing such an emotionally evolved guy on the big screen.
How did you come up with how you would play your character?
Javier Bardem: I met Felipe in New York and I had this beautiful talk for three hours about everything. I saw him so attractive, intelligent, sweet. And then I wondered why they called me to play him. And then he blessed me and said, 'You can do whatever you want and I won't be disappointed.' But he was always in my head when I was doing it because he has this lack of weight that makes him, in my opinion, very interesting because he had been through so many things that he has figured out a lot of things. But he doesn't pretend to let you know that he has everything figured out.
What is it like playing such emotionally evolved characters?
JB: Yeah I guess that's what we are paid for. We are a batch of liars as we try to connect with the characters that we only think we are related to in order to get you to believe.
Every character in this movie spends time figuring out how to eat and love. How do you figure out the prayer part for yourself?
JB: Yeah. But I think I would say my favorite line of all time is 'I don't believe in God; I believe in Al Pacino.' Which is I guess my God. And beyond that there are some other gods, which I respect as long as they respect me, which is a lot to ask.
What's it like playing English without a Spanish accent?
JB: I don't know. I think if we open this movie in Brazil then I can answer you. Because they will be able to realize how bad the accent was. But for you guys it works good, no? I don't know. I like the Brazil accent; it's softer than Spanish ... No, it's difficult to speak English with any accent.
What was it like working with Julia Roberts?
JB: I always say that when you get to a set that's been together for three months, they have become a family. And I think that most of the weight is on the shoulders of the main actress. So when you get there late and you are the new kid in town, you are insecure for hundreds of thousands of reasons, especially when you are working in a foreign language. But just the second I met her, I felt relaxed, and there is an enormous value to feel like you are working with someone who is creative and generous, but also with someone who makes you feel like you are part of the journey. Especially when you are working with someone who is carrying the weight of the movie. Because if I was her, I would be selfish. It's not about anyone but me. Just kidding. She's just great.
Did you read "Eat Pray Love" and what did you think about it?
JB: I read it. And I think it has a lot of great points. And it's not just a woman's perspective because everyone is searching. Everyone experiences that. And I loved Felipe.
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
- Beers With BieberJustin Bieber shares photos of his beer-drinking safari on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Missing Miley?Get the scoop on the newest breakup rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Visiting U.S.Prince Harry is visiting the United States again, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite